Heater removal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
The fuss about propane is unrealistic. A propane furnace in your trailer is no different than the natural gas or propane furnace in many homes and businesses. You have a much greater chance of something bad happening to you getting to a campground then you have from a propane problem.
As with many things in the world as it is today, the news media makes a huge deal out the rare occurrence. The people then think it's pretty common without knowing the full extent of the cause. Fear takes over instead of reasoning.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #16

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
If the furnace does not work I can see removing it. If it works I would leave it in, for the next guy who owns the rig.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #17

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The fuss about propane is unrealistic. A propane furnace in your trailer is no different than the natural gas or propane furnace in many homes and businesses. You have a much greater chance of something bad happening to you getting to a campground then you have from a propane problem.
As with many things in the world as it is today, the news media makes a huge deal out the rare occurrence. The people then think it's pretty common without knowing the full extent of the cause. Fear takes over instead of reasoning.
While you and I are comfortable with and enjoy our propane appliances, others are not. My wife doesn't enjoy camping so I go solo. However, she is deathly afraid of propane. Her fear is real, logical or not. If I were ever able to convince her to give camping a try there is no doubt it would be without using the furnace; she would never sleep. There is something about flame burning a few feet away that bothers some people. I don't share the fear but I understand it. Some people are fearful of standing too close to the edge of a building and looking over the edge. You can explain with all the logic in the world they won't fall but their fear is real.
Perhaps, as time passes and fearful campers become comfortable with using their propane range, they will give the furnace a try; one step at a time.
Barrie
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
While you and I are comfortable with and enjoy our propane appliances, others are not. My wife doesn't enjoy camping so I go solo. However, she is deathly afraid of propane. Her fear is real, logical or not. If I were ever able to convince her to give camping a try there is no doubt it would be without using the furnace; she would never sleep. There is something about flame burning a few feet away that bothers some people. I don't share the fear but I understand it. Some people are fearful of standing too close to the edge of a building and looking over the edge. You can explain with all the logic in the world they won't fall but their fear is real.
Perhaps, as time passes and fearful campers become comfortable with using their propane range, they will give the furnace a try; one step at a time.
Barrie
I understand that fear is a real feeling and hard to overcome. Unfortunately fear will often overcomes reason and control us. I wish you luck in convincing her to join you.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Barrie
Barrie,
We don't run our gas heater at night, and rarely during the day. It's just too loud. If we have AC we carry a small electric heater; we rarely run that at night. At night we have a twin size electric blanket that does the job easily.

Norm
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
When I was a kid I was scared of gas, now living kinda sorta off grid I have a propane stove, propane tank less water heater and propane Blue flame heaters and will probably never ever go back to electric.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #21

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Barrie,
We don't run our gas heater at night, and rarely during the day. It's just too loud. If we have AC we carry a small electric heater; we rarely run that at night. At night we have a twin size electric blanket that does the job easily.

Norm
We were camped in Big Bend National Park in February. The night time temperatures dropped to 5F a couple of days. The day time temps barely made it above freezing. As with most National Parks there's no hook ups. It would have been pretty difficult without the propane furnace.

Now a bit more information. There's more fires caused by small electric space heaters than propane forced air heaters.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
So it was all your fault Byron, that was the longest cold period here in the last thirty years. Just messing with you.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #23

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeelightsey View Post
Can someone explain about the Egg all electric camper? Does that mean people in Eggs can only stay in campgrounds with utility hookups?
Hi Aimee -

I see you are shopping for RV? What is your home state and what type of 'camping' do you enjoy?

We have the all electric EggCamper - took it about 10,000 miles last year. No, you don't *have* to have hookups in campgrounds, just depends. The camper is quite efficient - the lights and fridge will run at least a couple days off the deep cycle battery - or will charge while you drive and then be ready for you at night. We travel to the mountains and high elevations require heat in April, so we used a Honda 2000 generator. The Honda is super quiet, will run the electric heater for 10 -12 hrs on 1 gal. of gas - or heat water, run AC, micro or recharge your battery.

I am now installing a propane furnace, since we found the electric heater good for 30 F, but not powerful enough 12-15 F that we experienced in Wyoming springtime. We will enjoy the ease of a propane furnace - turn on tank - turn up thermostat ;-)

Again, it depends on the type of 'camping' you do. Hope this gives you some ideas to consider for your choice.

Bill
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Bill....where are you going to install your propane furnace? Is it as large as the typical RV furnace or do you have a source for a smaller one?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #25

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Hi Aimee -

I see you are shopping for RV? What is your home state and what type of 'camping' do you enjoy?

We have the all electric EggCamper - took it about 10,000 miles last year. No, you don't *have* to have hookups in campgrounds, just depends. The camper is quite efficient - the lights and fridge will run at least a couple days off the deep cycle battery - or will charge while you drive and then be ready for you at night. We travel to the mountains and high elevations require heat in April, so we used a Honda 2000 generator. The Honda is super quiet, will run the electric heater for 10 -12 hrs on 1 gal. of gas - or heat water, run AC, micro or recharge your battery.

I am now installing a propane furnace, since we found the electric heater good for 30 F, but not powerful enough 12-15 F that we experienced in Wyoming springtime. We will enjoy the ease of a propane furnace - turn on tank - turn up thermostat ;-)

Again, it depends on the type of 'camping' you do. Hope this gives you some ideas to consider for your choice.

Bill
Hi, Bill,
Thanks for the info there.
We are hoping to put a deposit down this week. We narrowed it to 2 campers: EggCamper and Trillium RV Limited (Irvine, CA)

I really don't like the fuzzy interiors on many campers. It seems it would retain odors (cooking, at least) as well as be difficult to clean. We have allergies as well. Therefore the two we found without the fuzzy interior were these two.

I had not considered all electric and since I have never camped I know nothing of these differences. The EggCamper guy is very much against propane. He will install it if you ask, but thinks it is quite dangerous.

Not sure what to do about that....

Is your vehicle weight really only around 2000 lbs? Even with a double shell? Wow.

Regarding our camping -- I figure we will be in campsites a lot, but since we like to rock climb we will be off the grid for up to 4 days at a time.

--Kris
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #26

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Bill....where are you going to install your propane furnace? Is it as large as the typical RV furnace or do you have a source for a smaller one?
Hi Bob -

Yes, it is small. I took out the electric heater and enlarged the opening height by about 1". The furnace I selected is an Atwood 8012 II - so efficient thy use it on Mt Everest expeditions. It's 24#, tiny, 12,000 BTU (compared to 3000 BTU for the electric heater) and only draws 1.8 amp (compared to 3.8 amp for most others). I got mine at Panther RV online. We also carry our cube 700/1500 w heater just in case.

Bill
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeelightsey View Post
Hi, Bill,
Thanks for the info there.
We are hoping to put a deposit down this week. We narrowed it to 2 campers: EggCamper and Trillium RV Limited (Irvine, CA)

I really don't like the fuzzy interiors on many campers. It seems it would retain odors (cooking, at least) as well as be difficult to clean. We have allergies as well. Therefore the two we found without the fuzzy interior were these two.

I had not considered all electric and since I have never camped I know nothing of these differences. The EggCamper guy is very much against propane. He will install it if you ask, but thinks it is quite dangerous.

Not sure what to do about that....

Is your vehicle weight really only around 2000 lbs? Even with a double shell? Wow.

Regarding our camping -- I figure we will be in campsites a lot, but since we like to rock climb we will be off the grid for up to 4 days at a time.

--Kris
Hi Kris - We don't care for the 'fuz' either - - the gel-coat is so nice and easy to clean! I know Jim Palmer doesn't care to install propane, but I think having the propane furnace will fit our needs nicely - I'm installing it.

Yup! 2000# +/- pulls like it is invisible - - torflex axle holds the road like a Beemer. I tow with a 2005 TrailBlazer and get about 14-15 MPG loaded.

We also enjoy 'off grid' in the Rockies - very easy to do with a small generator (like my Honda) and/ or a solar panel. We carry a couple jump start type battery packs and a 15 watt solar panel - to allow us to stay off grid as long as we would like.

Good travels to you! I've attached a few pix for you from Devil's Tower.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
P1000966.jpg   P1000965.jpg  

P1000959.jpg   P1000991.jpg  

Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #28

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Hi Kris - We don't care for the 'fuz' either - - the gel-coat is so nice and easy to clean! I know Jim Palmer doesn't care to install propane, but I think having the propane furnace will fit our needs nicely - I'm installing it.

Yup! 2000# +/- pulls like it is invisible - - torflex axle holds the road like a Beemer. I tow with a 2005 TrailBlazer and get about 14-15 MPG loaded.

We also enjoy 'off grid' in the Rockies - very easy to do with a small generator (like my Honda) and/ or a solar panel. We carry a couple jump start type battery packs and a 15 watt solar panel - to allow us to stay off grid as long as we would like.

Good travels to you! I've attached a few pix for you from Devil's Tower.

Bill
Wow, so you are a rock climber, too! Cool! Great shots!

Do you have to park in the sun for the solar thing to work?

Thanks!