Heater removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ontario
Heater removal

Anyone ever regret taking out the original heater to utilize as more cupboard space and then regret it? My wife is concerned with the safety of using propane as heat and would rather just use electical but I have just read somewhere on here that propane is better in colder temps. Since we are in Ont. and we have camped in some fairly cold temps I'm trying to decide before I fix the heater or pull her out! Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks
Brian
Brian in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Asking for advice... you never know what you'll get!

I think propane is quite safe, but your wife is not alone. She would probably love an Eggcamper; they're all electric. It's my impression that a propane furnace will warm up a trailer more quickly than an electric space heater, but beyond that, electric is great. Assuming the CG has an outlet...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Propane lines and fittings require maintenance, just like waterlines and plumbing. Granted, if not properly maintained the consequences can be much more serious with propane.

I've mentioned before that I don't use propane in my trailer... or at least haven't. I too considered removing all of it, but then someone politely reminded me that there may be a time I wish I had it... like weather-related issues. Thinks of those individuals that have bugged out to get away from their homebase due to fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, snow, etc. What then, if there's no electric available. At least with the propane I can heat my food and stay warm.

It's doubtful I'd ever add propane, but since it's there, I'll keep it and won't use it until (if and when) necessary. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
ours sure came in handy last night when it dipped into the 40's...properly maintained I dont see a problem with them.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It all depends on where you camp. I have a propane furnace as well as a small electric heater. I am about 50/50 on their total usage over the past 4 years. Would be very sorry and cold a lot of nights without the propane furnace as in Canada few Provincial or Federal parks have electrical hook up. Thats why our logo is Super Natural. :-) I use the electric heater mostly when camping in US State parks as many have electrical hook ups and it is not as loud as the propane heater. It's nice to have both options.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There are different camps on this one Brian. Some want it out, some want it back in. So if you do decide to take yours out, make sure you offer it here to those that want it.

As for us, we find the heater useful. Many a Thanksgiving weekend, we've had water freeze outside, and stayed warm and toasty inside after firing up the heater for 10-15 minutes then turning it back onto the pilot for the night. That is all one needs to take the edge off for most our camping needs.

If your wife is concerned, you can install a variety of alarms: smoke, CO, Propane etc. that will monitor safety.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Propane lines and fittings require maintenance, just like waterlines and plumbing. Granted, if not properly maintained the consequences can be much more serious with propane.
Electrical fires can happen too, but we still use it. However I'll agree that propane can conceivably go boom, whereas I've never heard of an outlet giving more than a little pop.

I will happily use both energy sources for heating and cooking. If my number comes up I know, as nice as the CG might be, I'm going somewhere much nicer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ontario
Thanks for everyones replies!!! I'm now thinking I might go to my local trailer shop to get it checked out as I know the pilot light will light but when I try to turn it up after that I get huge flames licking up the front of the vent cover!!! Wish I had a pic of my wifes face as she sat on the bed end thinking she was trapped and going to burn up in our newly found egg!! LOL.......I'm so happy I joined this site for all the advice, help and input everyone provides!
Brian in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I really like my propane furnace, but I did install a new propane/Co2 detector.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Heater Removal

Brian
I was faced with the same problem when I purchased my Trillium in 2009. I decided to remove the propane heater and carry a small plug in ceramic unit. We took several trips during 2010 including an eight week vacation to Alaska. Several times we needed heat during the evening but the plugin heater proved more than adequate.
We do use the propane for cooking and where no shore power is available, for refrigeration. I do shut if off at the bottle each nightas a precautionary measure.

Bill Reilly
Picton Ontario
Trillium Jubilee
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our Egg Camper has a built in electric heater of 1000 watts. I plan to carry a separate 750/1500 watt heater in case we need more heat. In our case, we won't be using our 17 ft E.C. in the winter. That's what our 31 ft Kodiak is for. I realize not everyone has two trailers but having two will mean the kids inherit less. We earned it, we're gonna spend it. BTW, the Egg Camper has a bracket on the tongue sized for a Honda 2000 watt generator for those places without electric.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
If you or your wife are uncomfortable with propane that discomfort will take away from your camping experience. I enjoy both my propane furnace and range. However, if you lose sleep worrying you have to ask if it's worth it.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
When we ordered our Liberty in 2001, we did not purchase the heater. We wanted the area for storage, and it's nice to have the extra room. There have only been a few times when boon docking where it would have been nice to have the heater. Having said that, we would not order a heater the next time either.

We have used our electric heater when camping or a portable propane heater .. neither one left on while we sleep. Just warm the trailer up - climb in bed with warm sleeping bags or blankets.. it works for us. But - it can be cold.

If I were you, I would leave the heater in until winter - take a few trips with hookups and without. Try it before you regret taking it out.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #14

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Can someone explain about the Egg all electric camper? Does that mean people in Eggs can only stay in campgrounds with utility hookups?
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The fuss about propane is unrealistic. A propane furnace in your trailer is no different than the natural gas or propane furnace in many homes and businesses. You have a much greater chance of something bad happening to you getting to a campground then you have from a propane problem.
As with many things in the world as it is today, the news media makes a huge deal out the rare occurrence. The people then think it's pretty common without knowing the full extent of the cause. Fear takes over instead of reasoning.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #16

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
If the furnace does not work I can see removing it. If it works I would leave it in, for the next guy who owns the rig.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The fuss about propane is unrealistic. A propane furnace in your trailer is no different than the natural gas or propane furnace in many homes and businesses. You have a much greater chance of something bad happening to you getting to a campground then you have from a propane problem.
As with many things in the world as it is today, the news media makes a huge deal out the rare occurrence. The people then think it's pretty common without knowing the full extent of the cause. Fear takes over instead of reasoning.
While you and I are comfortable with and enjoy our propane appliances, others are not. My wife doesn't enjoy camping so I go solo. However, she is deathly afraid of propane. Her fear is real, logical or not. If I were ever able to convince her to give camping a try there is no doubt it would be without using the furnace; she would never sleep. There is something about flame burning a few feet away that bothers some people. I don't share the fear but I understand it. Some people are fearful of standing too close to the edge of a building and looking over the edge. You can explain with all the logic in the world they won't fall but their fear is real.
Perhaps, as time passes and fearful campers become comfortable with using their propane range, they will give the furnace a try; one step at a time.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
While you and I are comfortable with and enjoy our propane appliances, others are not. My wife doesn't enjoy camping so I go solo. However, she is deathly afraid of propane. Her fear is real, logical or not. If I were ever able to convince her to give camping a try there is no doubt it would be without using the furnace; she would never sleep. There is something about flame burning a few feet away that bothers some people. I don't share the fear but I understand it. Some people are fearful of standing too close to the edge of a building and looking over the edge. You can explain with all the logic in the world they won't fall but their fear is real.
Perhaps, as time passes and fearful campers become comfortable with using their propane range, they will give the furnace a try; one step at a time.
Barrie
I understand that fear is a real feeling and hard to overcome. Unfortunately fear will often overcomes reason and control us. I wish you luck in convincing her to join you.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Barrie
Barrie,
We don't run our gas heater at night, and rarely during the day. It's just too loud. If we have AC we carry a small electric heater; we rarely run that at night. At night we have a twin size electric blanket that does the job easily.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
When I was a kid I was scared of gas, now living kinda sorta off grid I have a propane stove, propane tank less water heater and propane Blue flame heaters and will probably never ever go back to electric.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote