Heater removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
California
Heater removal

Trying to remove the duo-flame propane heater in my 71 Compact Jr. After camping in it for the first time, we've decided our modern little Buddy heater (with carbon monoxide sensor) is a way better fit than this old heater. Unscrewed all the screws I can see, if I'm right, it's a two piece unit that sandwiches together, but it ain't budging!! Anyone done this before??? Help!
Thunderdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Michael, before you remove your furnace, remember that your Little Buddy heater will only work up to ? Is it 7,000 ft? It also has to have a window and roof vent open slightl to vent to the outdoors and to replenish the O2 that is being used up. We often camp at 10,000ft so the Little Buddy would quit working for us, and we had to use the noisy furnace to stay warm, as it would get down to 32 degrees in August.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Micheal, lots have been writen the past month of the pros & cons of these heaters I sure hope you've read.
2 elderly people just were found in thier home in Maine from an unvented propane heater just last week.
Me, I would never have one but that's me.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Heater removal

Could be wrong... but I thought catalytic heaters had a built-in low oxygen sensor, not a carbon monoxide sensor.

I agree with the other comments about the limitations and risks of invented propane heaters.

I'm guessing the old furnace is a gravity type?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you install and frequently check for good battery function a carbon monoxide sensor, have a low oxygen shut off on a portable propane heater and also have some ventilation then the risk of dying from poisoning is going to be pretty low. You could of course even install two separate carbon monoxide sensors for an extra belt and suspender safety setup.

However the smaller the trailer, the more people in it and the larger the portable heater, the faster the oxygen will get used up. So do take those factors into consideration in the designing of your heating scheme. With four people and perhaps even a dog sleeping in a poorly insulated 13 foot trailer using a portable Buddy heater it will potentially become a condensation soggy mess during cold outside temperatures. A furnace with outside air exhaust will serve you better in those situations and be much safer.

Different size trailers, differing insulation, variable numbers of people, different climate zones. What works for you might not work for the next person because of all those variables that have to be considered. Design is a balancing act
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #6

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdome View Post
Trying to remove the duo-flame propane heater in my 71 Compact Jr. After camping in it for the first time, we've decided our modern little Buddy heater (with carbon monoxide sensor) is a way better fit than this old heater. Unscrewed all the screws I can see, if I'm right, it's a two piece unit that sandwiches together, but it ain't budging!! Anyone done this before??? Help!

If you do remove it, would you be willing to sell it..... I might be interested if you decide to sell it.. Would need to see a picture of it or serial number to know if it will fit in one of my campers....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Could be wrong... but I thought catalytic heaters had a built-in low oxygen sensor, not a carbon monoxide sensor.

I agree with the other comments about the limitations and risks of invented propane heaters.

I'm guessing the old furnace is a gravity type?
The Buddy heater is not a catalytic. But you could be right about its sensor being a low-oxygen sensor....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My Mr Buddy heater has a built in low oxygen sensor and tip switch.
It does NOT have a built in factory CO detector .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
California
Glad I checked here, I never considered the high altitude limitations of the Buddy, and I was wrong about it having a CM sensor, it has a low oxygen shut off sensor. I'll be keeping the duo therm, as it looks like it's had very little use...guess the lady doesn't get more storage after all!
Thunderdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wouldn't you have to store the Mr. Buddy and fuel somewhere in any event?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Seems like a good decision. I don't know much about the old gravity furnaces, but there are a lot of old threads. The Google search feature will help you find them ("Search" in the blue task bar, and scroll down to "Site Search/Google" at the bottom).
Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Michael,
Good call on keeping the furnace. That is not a decision to make after using the trailer only once. I have a couple of Buddy heaters which I use in wall tents in elk camp, but I have not found them practical for heating any of my travel trailers. I am afraid to go to bed and leave a Buddy heater running, even in a tent. I used one several times when I had a Casita and it created lots of condensation on the windows. The RV furnaces that draw in outside air are way safer and more efficient, despite the dreaded fan noise. Besides, even if you seldom use it, there isn't much to gain by removing it and de-valuing your trailer.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
We just picked up a Buddy portable, for use as a back-up heater, I'm hoping it will be ok because we often camp right around 7K' but got the heat to make sure we have something since the fan in the furnace drains out batteries right quick, But yes it does kick out a lot of water, and it would consume some O2, but we open a window or hatch when burning any thing propane inside the rig, For us as long as it's in the mid to high 50's inside at night we are comfortable, (we only recently literally came in from the cold having tent camped for the last 30 years or so.)
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
We just picked up a Buddy portable, for use as a back-up heater, I'm hoping it will be ok...
It isn't only, or even mainly, about condensation or oxygen depletion. Carbon monoxide is the "silent killer" with unvented propane appliances. The smaller the space, the more quickly things can go wrong.

If you do choose to go that route, don't just "hope."
(1) Make sure it's a newer appliance with modern safety features.
(2) Make sure it's rated for indoor RV use.
(3) Read and follow all manufacturer's directions regarding use.
(4) Install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
(5) Search and read some of the many old threads on "unvented propane heaters" (in the "Search" menu, scroll down to "Site Search/Google" for best results), as well as general online research regarding use and safety.

If you camp frequently in cool weather, consider investing in solar charging and upgraded battery(-ies) so you can use the built-in vented furnace. It's noisy to be sure, but I have decided to think of it as the sweet sound of safety.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It isn't only, or even mainly, about condensation or oxygen depletion. Carbon monoxide is the "silent killer" with unvented propane appliances. The smaller the space, the more quickly things can go wrong.
Yup, thanks for the reminder, we are good on that front.
Already have solar, with two batteries.
Updated and redundant CO monitors, (did you know they only last about 5-7 years? we replace ours about ever 5 years. and replaced them when we got the new to us rig)

We lost our plumber and his family to CO asphyxiation, so it's something we don't take lightly,

I also worked in transportation design and trans safety research for a while so safety is woven into our DNA.

If you're not familiar with the Mr. Buddy Portable, it's is an 1 bottle LPG space heater designed for efficient combustion, Heck I bet it does a better job at combustion then the stock 17 year-old-furnace. in our rig.
It's marketed as for use in smaller areas (as long as it has a source of adequate supply of O2)
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
...Updated and redundant CO monitors, (did you know they only last about 5-7 years?…

...Heck I bet it does a better job at combustion then the stock 17 year-old-furnace...
That's a good reminder. Extreme temperatures also shorten the sensor life, so I remove and store mine indoors between outings.

As to efficiency, almost anything is more efficient than an RV forced air furnace, 17 years old or brand new. The trade-off is safety, and that's a call each of us has to make for ourselves and our loved ones. With four of us in a tiny 10' cabin and pillows and blankets that occasionally fall off the beds during the night, there is no way I'd ever consider any type of radiant propane heater.

The important thing is that we understand the risks and take sensible precautions related to the choices we make. Glad to hear you do. Happy camping!