Help for the aged..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Help for the aged.....

Increasingly the mods inflicted on our old Burro are dictated by age, infirmity, and senility. The goal is to make Burro-camping doable and delay the takeover by our son as long as possible.

The latest, but one of the more significant changes involves the job of getting the thing backed up and into our back yard at the end of each camping session. It goes back on our neighbor's driveway and involves two sections of slopes. I have used a PowerCaster for years, but with <10% of the weight on the tongue the wheel slips. Our neighbors to the rescue as we push and push and finally get it up there, but it is a bit embarrassing. If the pavement is wet, forget it. There is no practical way to use the car to back it up.The worst part of camping occurs as we get home, not very pleasant.

I just installed a Purpleline EM4445 power trailer mover, which has a motor behind each wheel driving a retractable roller. The whole thing is powered by the trailer's batteries and reduces my work to pushing buttons on a remote control. Equally embarrassing but very effective, what with the motive power now given to the wheels which carry the real weight. We just finished a trial camping run and the thing works very well, with a very fine level of control.

We have discovered several benefits to this: my wife no longer has to direct my backing up into camp sites, and hitching up involves using the device to move the trailer into position, not the car. It seems that my wife is even more relieved at the lack of drama than I am. Next experiment is to find a campsite, unhitch and then use the remote to pivot the trailer around on its own center by pushing two buttons at the same time. That should get the trailer oriented for the best view out the windows at the same time as making fellow campers wonder how we got the thing into that position in the first place.

Too much money, of course, but the benefits are significant. I made only minor modifications to two of the mounting plates, but it was a piece of cake, and the hit to road clearance is not a problem. The tongue wheel is the one thing which can cause difficulties on soft ground, but I installed one with an 8" wheel and so far so good.

Contact me if this has you interested, or go on line at purplelineusa.com to get the details. This device is pretty much the same as the Enduro brand, so it should be easy to find. (I won't profit, don't worry).

At the end of our camping trip I was not drenched in sweat from pushing, so I count that as progress.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
WOW, that is one slick system, but be happy that you didn't have to buy two of them. LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sounds like quite an endeavor to park your trailer at home. I think I would have looked for a parking space to rent before going to all that trouble. Wait! I do park my trailer in a rented spot! Ha, ha!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
It costs much less than moving, and in not so long, it will save over being in a storage place. Also, having the trailer at home is far more convenient. Wish we could use one of those things. Can't get on our lot even with it.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree with Cathi, having your rig at home trumps leaving it semi-unguarded in a parking space xx miles away. And, at a minimum cost of $50 a month, ROI is a lot less than 24 months, and the convenience and peace of mind is.... Priceless.

And, as mentioned, you drive the trailer to the TV when hitching, pretty slick.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Slick!

It occurs to me that is a device lots of people would benefit from, without and explanation needed! I know backing a trailer into any spot is intimidating to lots of folks. I actually thought it would be more expensive so it seems like a good deal to me. One repair to a fiberglass trailer would offset any initial cost of that little jewel! May you have many more years of camping...and I totally agree, if you can do something yourself without asking for help...all the better!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
I still am terrible at backing up my Boler 17 with my Dodge Grand Caravan. This rig sounds like something Id like to investigate.

I took Donna's advice and after the lengthy, painful and embarrassing "mooring" for the winter, I took a bow. My neighbours burst into applause and laughter and we all had a great visit in my driveway.

I love having my Boler at home. I can fuss with it, curl up in it and read awhile and next weekend if it isn't snowing again my two great grandsons and I are going driveway camping. Breakfast cooked and served in the driveway.

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
It's wonderful that you found you a device that helps you park your trailer!

I have owned RV's and Boats for over 40 years, and to this day I'm still a lousy backer! I know all the tricks to make the job easier...however my brain reuses to remember the methods when I'm under stress! And backing an RV, with a dozen folks watching, is about as stressful as it gets for me!

In one busy Florida campground one winter, after I had blocked the main road in the CG for sometime...with several RV's waiting behing me to reach their assigned campsites, the manager offered to park my RV for me. Actually, it was more of a demand!

Even today I still hope for a pull-thru campsite!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Are you planning on going to the Oregon Gathering next July?? If so, I look forward to seeing it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I thought of installing a hitch to my front of my tow vehicle, much easier to push in versus back in.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
That sounds like a nifty gadget. I understand completely the need to make mods as we age so that we can keep camping. Nothing to be embarrassed about there - just seems smart to me!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Please post pictures of the install. I have been contemplating something similar:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ive-63533.html

I am not above copying another's successful solution.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote