Help with tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1979 Burro 13ft
Arkansas
Help with tail lights

I'm restoring a 79 Burro 13. I was checking the trailer lights today and everything looked good except for one tail light; small round red lens on passenger side about eye level. Popped off lens, touched the bulb and it came on, then off......loose conection. I took bulb out, tried to tighten the spring metal bulb holder, then ....pop. No tail lights or running lights.
Must have blown a fuse. Don't know where to start looking. All the other trailer lights still ok. Tow vehicle is Nissan Xterra with aftermarket hitch and flat four connector. The tail lights on Xterra are ok. Don't think there are any fuses in Burro. Where would the fuses leading to the trailer cable likely be? Any suggestions?
davb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might have an inline fuse (little plastic barrel) on the wiring in the trailer or going to the trailer plug.

Might look like this:
http://www.boatelectricals.co.uk/ima...ginal/1340.jpg

or be a flat black block like this:
http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/atta...psac120ede.jpg

Might have some sort of tow package on your Xterra that has a fuse for the trailer plug as part of the Xterra fuse panel, could check the owners manual.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Change the bulb?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Look closely at the Xterra fuse block. I have relays and fuses for trailer lights. There shouldn't be any fuses in the Burro for the running, tail lights, or brake lights. However, a used trailer could have anything.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Exacts same thing happened with my Tacoma. It was a fuse in the Tacoma. Check under the hood.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tail lights