Here's a must have to do laundry on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Your personal washing machine

This is really fun! I don't think I'll get it, but, it sure is a charming piece. Has anyone seen one of these before?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Updated versions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Transparent-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Personal-Mini-Washer-P...1QQcmdZViewItem
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This one is a bit cheaper.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Your personal washing machine! ( nope not again,not for me) Been ..there...done that ...used it.............might look like fun and easy No how, No Way............want say how old I am but at least at the time I was tall enough to get my arm in the ringer and should have been washing ...Not playing around !
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Do laundry on the road???? What a novel idea!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
John Steinbach in his book Travels With Charley mentions putting his dirty clothes in a bucket full of soapy water with a lid and tieing it to a rope attached to the ceiling of the "house" he built on his truck. He would then stop by a stream and rinse the soap out at the end of the days travel.

http://bolerlife.com
Frank Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
you got that wright here is my personal cloth washer

only kidding laddies
Attached Thumbnails
C_012.JPG  
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Hi Lynn - All these many years, I have always thought I was the only person to get their arm stuck in the wringer ......coarse, I was only 6 at the time....and I would prolly never have figured out my right from my left without the scar....
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One would certainly NOT want to confuse the device in Gigi's post with one's chamber pot, now would one!

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
4b_1.jpg  
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Roger,

I just want you to know that I thought of your signature when my manager asked me to write a "brag sheet" to help him with my annual performance review. All of us in our group was asked to come up with how we felt we were a significant contributor to the project. Although I did what he asked, I threw in Franklin's saying. I felt that it was most appropriate for the assignment.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Some people use a bucket to wash their clothes when on extended camping trips. Seems I recall a long ago post about filling the bucket with sudsy water and a few clothes, just prior to breaking camp. Going down the road provides natural agitation of the wash water. Or something like that.

Anyway, it's maybe a nutty connection, but this agitation-in-a-bucket reminded me of something we got for Xmas:

Ice Cream Ball

Mine's "burnt orange" instead of blue, though.
Attached Images

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Burnt Ice Cream?

My "Hot Water Heater", a 5 gallon giant spaghetti pot for my shower system, also serves as clothes washer for socks, undies and t shirts on the rare occasion I need to do such items. (I have about 50 spares in the trailer at all times just to avoid this chore )

I boil the items, swish em around with a big old spoon and mosh them in the sink, then rinse and mosh simultaniously.

They don't smell Powder Fresh, but they also don't smell like anything. They are clean.

Jeans and sweatshirts are another story. Jeans, you just have to rinse and hope for the best and a proper washer as soon as you can get to one. I always wear a t shirt or tutle neck under my sweatshirts, so they never come in direct contact with my body stink, so they actually do quite well with a hot rinse and wrestle.

Now for my dust ruffles, I place them all around the outside of the trailer like a skirt, and hitch up. Drive as fast as I can thru big puddles a few times. Power blast.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #13

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
[quote]
Updated versions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Transparent-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Benita, the fella cracked me up when I read in his description that this would be a great gift for the wife or mom. hahahah, I guess we know who does the laundry in his household (if he's lucky enough to have found himself a wife!).
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
Quote:
Your personal washing machine

This is really fun! I don't think I'll get it, but, it sure is a charming piece. Has anyone seen one of these before?
This whole thread reminded me of a few years back when some clothing was being made of paper! True! I bought a whole outfit (skirt,pants,shirt,) in an emergency situation and they were cheaper than TP is today! They also lasted without tearing for 3 days, till I got home. I do have paper coveralls, even today, for some painting and other messy jobs. It seems that it could be a serious industry for selling to RVers, I haven't seen the clothing line anywhere for years but the plans must still be somewhere! Brain in gear!
Renee K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
And yet another, complete with a brief lesson in the science of clothes washing.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=MC%20W100
Old 01-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Disposable clothing are still made. Firefighters, the kind that fight forest fires quite often use disposable sleeping bags...they're made of Tyvek. And I have a good friend that's a flight attendant and she purchases disposable underwear at Walgreens...doesn't like packing THAT type of dirty laundry in her suitcase because of security going through suitcases at airports. I've seen the coveralls and even windbreaker-type coats out of paper/Tyvek.

But I think for the longterm, disposable would be very, very expensive. Soap and water are cheap

The one thing I keep forgetting to check into are chamois-type bathing towels. A couple of years ago I met a couple (in the laundrymat) who were full-timing and they were using them. Full-timers are always looking for methods to cut down on costs and these towels worked for them. Each had one in different colors than the other so they didn't mix them up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #17

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Campmor has several different sizes and styles of lightweight towels, which all work very well.

Campmor
Attached Images

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
If you use one of these newfangled devices to do laundry you miss out on the true adventure of going to the local laundrymat where you will most likely meet all kinds of interesting folks.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If you use one of these newfangled devices to do laundry you miss out on the true adventure of going to the local laundrymat where you will most likely meet all kinds of interesting folks.

yeah right And you also get the pleasure of spending money....the couple of times I've been to a laundrymat...my clothes came out dirtier than they went in. I think I used a washer right after someone did their dogs bedding. And try getting the bubblegum out of a shirt after it's been dried "in"...thanks to some child pitching it into the dryer instead of a garbage can
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I see you have seen the laundry here in town fo Hooterville.

Ours isn't actually that bad. They keep it clean. I still have a half sized washer at home that I do my clothes in and hang dry, but the big stuff has to go there.

I dread it...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote