Hi, New member TerryJan Info making Larger bed in 17ft Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: terryjan
Trailer: 2005 17'Bigfoot CB Since Aug 2017
British Columbia
Hi, New member TerryJan Info making Larger bed in 17ft Bigfoot

Would like to buy 17ft bigfoot but just discovered the "DOUBLE" bed is only 42inches wide! The dinet is 43".
SO, is it possible to either remove the rear bathroom and build a full size double bed.
OR, with CB model remove fridge and build a full size double bed.
How bigger job would this be. Is there structural factors here.
Thanks Terry

Old 05-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Hi,

You can always do tons of mods, but it kind of sounds like you need a rig that suits your needs better to start with. Our amerigo has two bed areas, which we needed; other configurations were less useful for us. Cutting out a bathroom and/or closet sounds like a lot of work, YES, there are structural factors, any walls or supports that extend from floor to ceiling are helping to support that ceiling.

There are lots of ways to modify; some people cut out "divots" in the uprights, walls, cabinets, etc., and extend mattresses into that area, but there are also rigs out there with wider beds. Our 1973 amerigo has a 50 - 51" area for the rear bed--still not a full double (54"?) but closer. The front bed has a gaucho option that would allow a 40" mattress. We'll be doing it somewhat differently.

Any mods we're making will have to include keeping those original uprights pretty much intact.

It can be "fun" to "make it your own," and then again, you can get into it and the only way out is forward, while you're mentally kicking yourself from behind!

Why, exactly, do you want that exact rig? What are the advantages that wouild make it worth immediately modifying the main bed area? Do you not want a fridge? Do you not care about the bathroom area?

Not that you need to answer ME, just you need to make a huge list, pros, cons, and everything else you can think of, and consider carefully before you buy, before you make that first modifying cut.

Wishing you the best--if you get the rig, and can post photos, we'd all love to see them and to hear about what you've decided and done!

BEST

Old 05-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

Name: terryjan
Trailer: 2005 17'Bigfoot CB Since Aug 2017
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi,

You can always do tons of mods, but it kind of sounds like you need a rig that suits your needs better to start with. Our amerigo has two bed areas, which we needed; other configurations were less useful for us. Cutting out a bathroom and/or closet sounds like a lot of work, YES, there are structural factors, any walls or supports that extend from floor to ceiling are helping to support that ceiling.

There are lots of ways to modify; some people cut out "divots" in the uprights, walls, cabinets, etc., and extend mattresses into that area, but there are also rigs out there with wider beds. Our 1973 amerigo has a 50 - 51" area for the rear bed--still not a full double (54"?) but closer. The front bed has a gaucho option that would allow a 40" mattress. We'll be doing it somewhat differently.

Any mods we're making will have to include keeping those original uprights pretty much intact.

It can be "fun" to "make it your own," and then again, you can get into it and the only way out is forward, while you're mentally kicking yourself from behind!

Why, exactly, do you want that exact rig? What are the advantages that wouild make it worth immediately modifying the main bed area? Do you not want a fridge? Do you not care about the bathroom area?

Not that you need to answer ME, just you need to make a huge list, pros, cons, and everything else you can think of, and consider carefully before you buy, before you make that first modifying cut.

Wishing you the best--if you get the rig, and can post photos, we'd all love to see them and to hear about what you've decided and done!

BEST
Hi Kai in Seattle. Thanks for the tips
Never heard of your Amerigo Looks quite similar to bigfoot. I've never seen one here in Canada. Good luck with your major renos!
We've owned our 14' bigfoot for about 4 years. Its very plain with a 48" bed a shelf/Counter top "came w matresses for bunks" up front for cooking with coleman stove or our single burner 110v electric and a "larder" cupboard in between. We have a portapotty that we rarely use. An electric portable cooler box. Heat is a Cube heater or a Mr Heater Buddy
Have done 3 month trips all over USA & Canada.
On talking with people with bigger rigs very few seem to use the shower. We found our cooler worked fine and the coleman stove can be used in or out.
Would rather keep things simple without all the maintenence.
Our main criteria is a decent bed and a separate dinet.
The 17" bigfoot seems about the right size to suit our needs with a little modification. Was thinking more of the centre bath model and just remove the fridge & stove/oven to fit a larger bed.
Stay tuned! Terry
PS have you checked this out Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites Very simple and basic.
A little pricey with CAD exchange rate though.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjan View Post
Hi Kai in Seattle. Thanks for the tips
Never heard of your Amerigo Looks quite similar to bigfoot. I've never seen one here in Canada. Good luck with your major renos!
We've owned our 14' bigfoot for about 4 years. Its very plain with a 48" bed a shelf/Counter top "came w matresses for bunks" up front for cooking with coleman stove or our single burner 110v electric and a "larder" cupboard in between. We have a portapotty that we rarely use. An electric portable cooler box. Heat is a Cube heater or a Mr Heater Buddy
Have done 3 month trips all over USA & Canada.
On talking with people with bigger rigs very few seem to use the shower. We found our cooler worked fine and the coleman stove can be used in or out.
Would rather keep things simple without all the maintenence.
Our main criteria is a decent bed and a separate dinet.
The 17" bigfoot seems about the right size to suit our needs with a little modification. Was thinking more of the centre bath model and just remove the fridge & stove/oven to fit a larger bed.
Stay tuned! Terry
PS have you checked this out Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites Very simple and basic.
A little pricey with CAD exchange rate though.

Hi, Terry,

Well, you sound a lot like us, keeping things simpler, having basic needs, a decent bed, no shower, not a lot of doo-dads...

So, yeah, maybe for what you need, it makes entire sense. And yes, I'm sure it can be done. All these mods take some effort, sometimes a lot more than you bargain for, but YMMV, your mileage may vary. It will work out for you the way it works out for you, not for anyone else.

Our Fg-16 amerigo is being redone with two bed areas, one of which is also a settee for daytime. We'll have a folding table, not the original dinette, no fridge (using a 7-day cooler), the small square ceramic heater (we have 2), and a one-burner propane grill for cooking outside. We plan on using the "straw" dishes and the "cornstarch" utensils and not doing any dishwashing...we won't even use a water tan, but will re-use 2-liter pop bottles and our home water. We'll shower in campground facilities when we do, and keep it simple. If I want amenities beyond our basic bed and warmth and picnic-style meals, I'll stay home. We may not even add a TV or the microwave I'd planned on.

Most of these rigs have a basic similarity; the big diff with the amerigo is that it's a fiberglass outer shell, but a stick-built interior. So it's the best and worst of both worlds. Luckily, we're long-time house remodelers (our own houses, in small ways) and have some resources, lots of tools, materials, experience, and access to the machine shop my husband, Paul, retired from only two years ago, so they still remember him well. He just went in today, and among other things, scored 8 feet of nice chain to lock the two batteries onto our trailer tongue. Score!

We, too, have a portapotty, not sure how much we'll use it. Certainly at night! I'm afraid of creatures in the dark, having once been trapped idn a public restroom for several hours by what I thought was a coyote prowling nearby outside...finally I was so sick of being int here I decided to make a dash for it and fight my way if I had to, only to realize at last it was a nearby tent camper SNORING. Boy, was I embarrassed for my silly self! But better red-faced than eaten by a coyote!

Good to meet you!

Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen & Paul NEAR Seattle)

BEST

Tags
bigfoot