Hi, we are Bob and Karen Swarts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Hi, we are Bob and Karen Swarts

We just joined the group yesterday, but we have been lurking in the background for several weeks. We live in Grants Pass, Oregon.

Three weeks ago we took possession of our 2016 Scamp Standard 13, layout 1, equipped with numerous options (A/C, furnace, city water. bike rack, refer, electric brakes, and others). Over all we are delighted with our purchase. It arrived in pretty good shape, but does have two scratches in the gelcoat (fortunately where they are not terribly apparent) and a door that does not seal completely. I contacted Scamp and am now waiting for the gelcoat and door shim they promised me. There are also numerous errors and omissions in the printed material and online videos supplied by Scamp.

I have added a battery cutoff switch and voltage monitor adjacent to the power panel, and a 12 volt outlet and dual USB charging port below the rear of the table on the port side. In addition we removed the couch back/upper bunk since it serves no really useful purpose, and fabricated two very simply cpvc posts to turn the gravel shield into an awning for the front window. Our pillows now act as bolsters in lieu of the couch back -- lighter and more versatile.

We are towing the Scamp with a 2015 Ford Transit Connect. Have made only a local test drive thus far, but the mileage varied from 17.4 to 25.5 on that drive, and I experienced no difficulties with acceleration, climbing hills, braking, or trailer sway. Better results than expected!

There can be a problem installing a brake controller in late model Fords, especially with the Primus IQ controller recommended by Scamp. If anyone using such a tow vehicle needs help, please contact me.

I've attached a picture of the rig set to go.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_tow1_jul_2016_toys.jpg  
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensrest View Post
...In addition we removed the couch back/upper bunk since it serves no really useful purpose...
Unless you have four people to accommodate! LOL...

Please don't toss the parts, they're not easy to fabricate from scratch, and you or someone else may want them at some point in the unforeseeable future.

Your rig looks sharp! I love small vans (sadly, my wife doesn't), and the Transit Connect seems so right-sized. I was surprised to find it is rated to tow 2000 pounds. The Scamp tucks in nicely behind it.

Wishing you many happy travels in your new Scamp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Thanks, Jon. Any original parts are safely stored for some (probably) future owner to enjoy; I have no intention of parting with them. Incidentally, I asked repeatedly of Kent Eveland for a weight capacity of that upper bunk, and neither he nor anyone else at Scamp has answered.

The Transit Connect works well, but while the tow weight is not a problem, the combined vehicle weight limit (6300 lb) gets approached pretty closely when you are fully loaded. Our trailer, equipped as stated with only bedding and a few tools aboard measures 1590 lb by itself.

BS
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Congrats on your new trailer. Hope it brings you many wonderful trips.

We, too, had to get the shim for the door. It corrected the issue and there have been no further problems.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, we are Bob and Karen Swarts

Bob, I called Scamp to order a part and asked about the weight capacity of the upper bunk. They told me 150 pounds.

Later, a forum member picked up a new Scamp from the factory and asked the same question. He was told 120 pounds, which seems more reasonable.

In your case, it's a moot point, but I thought you'd be interested (or perhaps amused) by Scamp's varied responses. Depends on who you ask, I think.

It's actually a clever design, far superior to many stickies that have a fold-out cabinet smashed up against the ceiling. Works well for us.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you ever visit Michigan, be sure to drive through Swartz Creek!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote