high efficiency propane heat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
high efficiency propane heat

Thought I'd pass this along. These little heaters are fully vented, 91% efficient, low current draw of 1.9 amps for the 10K BTU unit. Note that the heat output of the 10K is the same as a 12K RV furnace. The smaller unit (6500 BTU) would be great for those needing some heat with low consumption. They draw only 1.4 amps when running. They are thermostat controlled. They appear easy to mount and duct as well. They are sold in the US through marine outlets mainly. Google pulls them up.

a 1500W electric heater puts out about 5100 BTU. The smaller propane unit is about 5900.

Welcome to Propex Heat - caravan, motorhome or boat heaters
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I was looking at doing something like a dickinson propane one in my next rebuild, but this one looks interesting also. I woulder how quite it is?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I know a guy who is installing one so I'm waiting to hear about the noise. I'm guessing they are quite since the output is only 65 and 85 CFM.

This unit should be easier to mount than the Dickenson, and does not pose the problem of hot surfaces in a tight confine. You mount it inside a cabinet and vent the air through a duct.
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Registry
I've seen a couple of the dickerson ones installed in Airstream redo's, near the main seating area, and like the idea of seeing the flame on cold days. This may or may not not work in my application, don't know yet, so any other way to do a heat source is always good.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 17' Casita FD
Massachusetts
Any update to this? Has anyone heard a Propex run? It's on our short list...
Thanks!
-G
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #6

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
How about in a uhaul ct13?

I am out in Mouse on our first test run. The original heater does a great job, but the fan takes a lot of power and is noisy.

I would love a quiet heater that doesn't bust the battery budget. Would love to get 3-4 days on a charge.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
How about in a uhaul ct13?

I am out in Mouse on our first test run. The original heater does a great job, but the fan takes a lot of power and is noisy.

I would love a quiet heater that doesn't bust the battery budget. Would love to get 3-4 days on a charge.
Have you looked at catalytic heaters, with no fan? Some just use the kind that run off a small propane cylinder, others tap into the big propane tank.

Amazon.com: propane heater: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Camco 57331 Olympian RV Wave-3 LP Gas Catalytic Heater: Automotive

I'm also curious if one could install a high efficiency computer type pancake fan in an RV heater instead of the old brush type motor.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
We've been looking at these heaters also, very very nice unit by the looks of it. would install in many different locations too without having to cut holes into the side of the trailer, could just run it in one of the under seat compartments and cut holes into the floor and vent it out that way.

I'd love one of them but check out the pricing. $8-900USD way to explensive.

here is the link: Propex Heaters - US distributor
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
$725 plus tax and delivery, so about $800.

They look real good! No combustion gases! 90% efficient and 1.4 amps for the HS2000. Small foot print. Can be tucked in a space under the bed.

What more could you want from a furnace!

I think I am going to install one.

Is there a thread that discusses the details of how to remove the original CT13 furnace?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
your talking $725 plus taxes and delivery for the smaller one. its just about $830 shipped in the US for the bigger one.

not sure what size would be needed for a 13" trailer? smaller one would be nicer for the price. but not sure if it would be enough 6,500btu seems a bit small to me? whats a stock heater for a boler/scamp trailer? 12,000tbu or something? looks the bigger one sounds more like what should be installed.
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #11

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 17' Casita FD
Massachusetts
I'm leaning towards trying the HS2000 in a Casita FD. First we have to get the trailer though! We bought one in FL that doesn't have a furnace. We're in New England, so I want something for heat. According to the specs it should handle that square footage. All the cats sound nice, but the peace of mind is worth the extra money to us. We like the completely isolated combustion. Electrical load doesn't sound too bad either.
So two weeks from today we pick up the camper in FL! It's gonna be a long 2 weeks. The heat situation will be the first project we do.
-Gerry
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Eberspacher

I had the heater gasoline powered in my last VW Westfalia from this company. Eberspächer UK - Air Heaters .It was expensive but extremely quiet.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
My Coleman Black Cat does pretty well, down into the 30s. It's portable (no installation) and only cost about $50. I think they make one with a fan also (the fan runs on D cells) if one desires more heat circulation.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My Coleman Black Cat does pretty well, down into the 30s. It's portable (no installation) and only cost about $50. I think they make one with a fan also (the fan runs on D cells) if one desires more heat circulation.

You can see it in the first link in post #7 above.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #15

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Here is another option for quiet heat. I installed one in an old motorhome in the 1980's. It worked superbly, but they are fairly expensive. I like the safety of a fully vented system, so you can close all the windows without fear. The drawback to cats is they do not warm the air in the space, they only warm people and objects. The orientation of the install makes a difference. Ideally you would want the heater aiming down the center of your rig at your most frequently occupied area. In my 16' Scamp side dinette floorplan that isn't possible. All other cats that I know of burn inside air, which to me is way to risky to consider.

Link:Home

Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #16

Registry
I put in a platinum cat propane heater in my re-build and it has worked out fine. We used it a couple of times last year and it kept the trailer warm at night in 40 degree weather. It's vented and fairly quite. The only thing that you can hear once in awhile is a pop from the coupler that turns it on from a thermostat. It's not a cheap unit, but my wife was adamant that any propane heater would be vented, and I didn't have any room for a standard unit. It also has some nice safety features, it shuts down if there isn't enough air volume getting sucked out, and I believe an oxygen sensor. I talked directly to the guy that was building mine and he was very helpful in answering questions.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #17

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
I would be concerned about venting thru the floor,as road grime could build up and block it without your knowing.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #18

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
My parents left to go fishing,and left the furnace on in their trailer.When they returned,the place was full of smoke.It turns out a family of squirrels thought the vent was a nice warm place to set up camp.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #19

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Yes wasps, bees, birds, squirrels, road dirt, could block vents. It is a good idea to check the vent system before heading out. Even spiders can cause problems with gas systems.

Gotta go now. We are headed to Dixon Lake in Escondido CA for the weekend. This is only about 10 miles away from home, so the gasoline expenditure will be tolerable! We pay about $4.30 now.... ugh.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #20

Registry
One of the things you can do to keep bugs out is put a screen on the outside at the vent. We did this and it has worked out well. We also vent to an through an outside wall.

Tags
propane