hinged stovetop cover... - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
hinged stovetop cover...

I've seen many threads related to folks making their own stovetop covers (I use a cutting board) but I'm interested in a metal hinged cover that will stay put without issue from the kids, or bumpy roads.

I have the old 2-burner Coleman stovetop. Does anybody know how to find a used one that matches this specifically? I've searched online with no luck.

I've also looked at 2 Atwood options - but can't find dimensions on the first (which has square corners, like my stove). Amazon.com: Atwood Mobile Products 56461 DVC3-SLR 3 Stainless Drop-In Burner Cover Fits DV 30: Automotive

The second has rounded corners so I don't know that it'll fit the squared stove corners - tho the dimensions work otherwise. Atwood DVC2-SLR 56459 Stainless Steel 2 Burner Cooktop Cover Trailer Camper RV

Any experience or thoughts? THX!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #2

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
I did retrofit a cover to my unit, but it was a standard RV burner and oven unit.
I'm not familiar with the Coleman unit that can be found in RVs, but the second link in your post reminds me of the standard Coleman top for their stand-alone camping units. Maybe you could find a used one of those and see if it can work.

Coleman Canada

Vic

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Personally, I don't care for the metal lids. They rattle and unless the material is fairly heavy weight, it doesn't make for a good surface for putting a cutting board, etc. on top. The previous owner of my Scamp made a wood "box" type cover. It fits tightly when down and provides extra counter space, which my trailer desperately needs. I just flip it up to protect the back wall from spatters when using the stove. Works for me! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
counter

I started with a store-bought breadboard and ended up with this.
Attached Thumbnails
counter bracket.JPG   counter1.JPG  

counter2.JPG  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
In my not-a-FG-trailer, I have a suburban two burner cooktop ( model SDN-2 ). I bought the cover from them that is made for it. It was about $50, and comes in either stainless, black or white. My cooktop measures 18 & 1/4" wide by 13 & 9/16" front to back.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
nice idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
I started with a store-bought breadboard and ended up with this.
Very nice job. Looks so handy!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
Thanks all!

@Donna - I understand your thoughts. I'll say that we're yet to cook in the camper, so it's more for utility of having the space for setting things, than having it as a chopping block. And again, I really want something fastened so it stays put. Since I don't ride back there, the rattling will go unnoticed

@LK Gray - great mod! thanks for the pic

@george - thanks for the pics as well. I'd seen these suburban tops/covers, but the stock photos don't show the front black piece well, and your pic does. THANKS!