Hitch and Tire Carrier - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Hitch and Tire Carrier

I wanted to put a hitch on the back of my SD so that I could install the external tire carrier. Both are made by Orbital which is about an hour away northwest from me. After calling and talking to Jim Button I drove up to their facility. Jim gave me the 10 dollar tour and I came home with my DIY kit. But after I got home and climbed under the egg I saw that a previous owner had welded scissor jacks within 3/4 of an inch from the rear bumper and the mounting arms of the hitch were right smack dab in the middle.
I called Larry Gamble at Little House and described my issue and he gave me a price that I could afford. Three days later and another one hour trip south this time to Larry's garage. Work started and two hours later I was on my way back home all fixed up. The removal of the old jacks were a bear as the welder had used the hard metal stick rods. On one piece of cut metal I told Larry just to leave it and I would paint over it. Larry said no that it would not look good. So between grinders,punches,portable bandsaw and oscillating blades he managed to get the welded metal off. Kudos to Larry who wanted it to be right and not look sloppy.
Now I can hang my cargo carrier and a tire that is not stuck on the back of the FG wall. (we tightned the nut back on the cut off rod and the internal bolt head was free-spinning so that doesn't speak well for the attachment internally on the back of the egg wall IMO).
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF8152 -1.jpg   20150123_093909.jpg  

20150123_094337.jpg   20150123_114117.jpg  

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Shopping
Montana
Good story. I'm picking up my SD in April and it's being made without the tire support. I intend to purchase the same setup you have from Orbital. I'd really like to visit Little House and have a few improvements done while I'm so close. Maybe a trip to Orbital would be possible too. Thanks for sharing your project and pictures. Very helpful. Montana to Texas and back. Looking forward to it.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
It is my understanding that Casita will put all of those on for you right there at their factory. When I was at Little House I saw a new Casita that Larry was putting on the 3 step stairs and it had the orbital lift kit on it already as well as the tire carrier. Orbital is right off of 35 in Denton Tx. I would have done the hitch if that jack hadnt been in the way but glad Larry did it and his price was really really inexpensive compared to the aggravation it would have done for me to do it. They had done the 3 inch lift kit and shocks for me in the fall of last year. What a diff those shocks make. Again I think Casita will do those when they are building yours if you check.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaiwayw View Post
Good story. I'm picking up my SD in April and it's being made without the tire support. I intend to purchase the same setup you have from Orbital. I'd really like to visit Little House and have a few improvements done while I'm so close. Maybe a trip to Orbital would be possible too. Thanks for sharing your project and pictures. Very helpful. Montana to Texas and back. Looking forward to it.
I ordered my 2014 SD without the spare tire mounted also. Sure enough when i arrived at Casita to pick it up the spare was on the back. I mentioned to Victor that i ordered it without the spare mounting and he told me the fiberglass mold has the hole for it and that it would need to be plugged with a bolt or something or moisture could get into the unit. I thought when i ordered it and mentioned that i didn't want the spare mounted that they would cover the hole somehow during production.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dave View Post
I ordered my 2014 SD without the spare tire mounted also. Sure enough when i arrived at Casita to pick it up the spare was on the back. I mentioned to Victor that i ordered it without the spare mounting and he told me the fiberglass mold has the hole for it and that it would need to be plugged with a bolt or something or moisture could get into the unit. I thought when i ordered it and mentioned that i didn't want the spare mounted that they would cover the hole somehow during production.
How can that be true? Here are some pictures of a shiny new Casita with no "hole". Look for the "spare tire carrier" set....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104805658@N06/sets/

Jim
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Just stating what i was told.