Hitch 'em up, move 'em out! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: gailanneM
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' and previously, 17' Burro
Washington
Hitch 'em up, move 'em out!

As a result of seeing what another clever member did to increase her storage capacity, I decided to purchase some inexpensive motorcycle saddlebags & put them on the back of my burro. (They do NOT block the taillights -- the angle of the photo just makes it look that way.....!!)
I plan to keep my plastic wheel chocks, water hose, electric cord, etc. in them for easy exterior access. Nothing too heavy, since they are not terribly large, but every little bit helps!
(At some point, I'd also like to wire the lights up on the saddlebags for additional visibility.)
Attached Thumbnails
image-1473826229.jpg  
Attached Images

gailanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
SWEEET!! They look great!
And I love the idea of getting the lights working too.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Looking good. Your thinking out of the egg!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I love the look! Where did you find the metal holders that are around them?
Do you think they are safe from theifs? Just curious because I really like the idea and may copy it at some point if you don't mind.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I love the look! Where did you find the metal holders that are around them?
Do you think they are safe from theifs? Just curious because I really like the idea and may copy it at some point if you don't mind.
Black Motorcycle Cruiser Hard Trunk Saddle Bags Trunk Luggage w Lights Mounted | eBay

More here:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Thanks Thomas G. You are so fast with the links.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Very nice! How are they attached to your Burro?
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
....... You are so fast with the links.
This was actually discussed before, so I knew where to look. I think the white ones with no chrome would look pretty cool on a UHaul. Maybe one on either side of the propane tank, for balance, with tail lights outboard.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I love your mod Gailanne. Great functional addition.

Question for anyone that can answer it. I'd like to add something like this to the rear of my Scamp, but my license plate is mounted under the left light and would be hidden by the left saddlebag. Can I move the plate to above the light, or are there some regulations that state where the plates should be mounted?
Thankks
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda, the license needs to be on the drivers side, doesn't matter if it's above or below the tail light, but it needs to be lighted. (These are OR Vehicle Equipment Regulations, CA may be different.)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Linda, the license needs to be on the drivers side, doesn't matter if it's above or below the tail light, but it needs to be lighted. (These are OR Vehicle Equipment Regulations, CA may be different.)
Thanks Donna. I hate it when one thing leads to another. I think I'll probably put that on my "would be nice to have" list.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook 2011
Trailer Lights

Quote:
Trailers in California are required to have reflectors, tail, brake, and license plate lights. Signal lights are also required if the tow vehicle's lights are hidden. Trailers over 80 inches wide must have clearance lights. Most manufacturers comply with these requirements; however, it is up to you to be sure that all lights operate correctly.
I don't think there is a specific location required.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

California
Registry
Thanks Frederick. My Scamp doesn't have a plate light. But since its mounted right under the tail light which lights it, maybe that qualifies??? I don't travel at night so it hasn't been an issue, but I should add it down the road to be compliant.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda, if you have the original tail light lens, the bottom of the left one has a clear portion... that's your license plate light.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #15

Washington
I asked my husband to respond to this question; he is VERY knowledgeable re: the CA vehicle code.......here's what he wrote;

You may relocate your rear license plate as long as it is not less than 12 inches from the ground and not more than 90 inches above the ground.

You must have a license plate lamp per CVC Section 24601 and must be clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet.

Please read code sections below:

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 5200-5206
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

5201. (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to
the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates
from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly
visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left
to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly
legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12
inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license
plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground,
except as follows:
(1) The rear license plate on a tow truck or repossessor's tow
vehicle may be mounted on the left-hand side of the mast assembly at
the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more
than 90 inches from the ground.
V C Section 24601 License Plate Lamp

License Plate Lamp

24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so

constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear

license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a

distance of 50 feet to the rear.

When the rear license plate is

illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps

shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

-----Original Message-----
To: Stuart/cell <dustoff376@aol.com>
Sent: Sun, Sep 1, 2013 11:14 pm
Subject: From fgrv site -- please answer & I' ll post it!! (Re: my modification: saddlebags)

Question for anyone that can answer it. I'd like to add something like this to
the rear of my Scamp, but my license plate is mounted under the left light and
would be hidden by the left saddlebag. Can I move the plate to above the light,
or are there some regulations that state where the plates should be mounted?

Sent from my iPad

V C Section 24601 License Plate Lamp License Plate Lamp 24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times. Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

V C Section 5200 Display of License Plates Display of License Plates 5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5. Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates Positioning of Plates 5201. (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows: ( )1 (1) The rear license plate on a tow truck or repossessor&rsquo;s tow vehicle may be mounted on the left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground. ( )2 (2) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous waste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground. ( )3 (3) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, but not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground. ( )4 (4) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage, rubbish, or refuse that is used regularly for the collection and transportation of that material by a person or governmental entity employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground. ( )5 (5) The rear license plate on a two-axle livestock trailer may be mounted 12 inches or more, but not more than 90 inches, from the ground. (6) (A) The rear license plate on a dump bed motortruck equipped with a trailing, load bearing swing axle shall be mounted more than 12 inches, but not more than 107 inches, from the ground. ( As used in this section, a trailing, load bearing swing axle is an axle which can be moved from a raised position to a position behind the vehicle that allows for the transfer of a portion of the weight of the vehicle and load to the trailing axle. ( )6 (b) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows: (1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle. (2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number. ( )7 (c) A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle. ( )8 (d) (1) It is the intent of the Legislature that an accommodation be made to persons with disabilities and to those persons who regularly transport persons with disabilities, to allow the removal and relocation of wheelchair lifts and wheelchair carriers without the necessity of removing and reattaching the vehicle's rear license plate. Therefore, it is not a violation of this section if the reading or recognition of a rear license plate is obstructed or impaired by a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier and all of the following requirements are met: (A) The owner of the vehicle has been issued a special identification license plate pursuant to Section 5007, or the person using the wheelchair that is carried on the vehicle has been issued a distinguishing placard under Section 22511.55. ( (i) The operator of the vehicle displays a decal, designed and issued by the department, that contains the license plate number assigned to the vehicle transporting the wheelchair. (ii) The decal is displayed on the rear window of the vehicle, in a location determined by the department, in consultation with the Department of the California Highway Patrol, so as to be clearly visible to law enforcement. (2) Notwithstanding any other law, if a decal is displayed pursuant to this subdivision, the requirements of this code that require the illumination of the license plate and the license plate number do not apply. (3) The department shall adopt regulations governing the procedures for accepting and approving applications for decals, and issuing decals, authorized by this subdivision. (4) This subdivision does not apply to a front license plate. Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 626, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004. Amended Sec. 6, Ch. 650, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005. Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 273, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008. Amended Sec. 107, Ch. 307, Stats. 2009. Effective January 1, 2010. Amended Sec. 37, Ch. 491, Stats. 2010. Effective January 1, 2011. Amended Sec. 34.5, Ch. 769, Stats. 2012. Effective January 1, 2013. The 2012 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following: 1. " (a)" 2. " (b) " 3. " (c)" 4. " (d)" 5. "(e)" 6. " (f)" 7. " (g)" 8. " (h)" -

----Original Message----- From: gailanne Molver <gailanneM@aol.com> To: Stuart/cell <dustoff376@aol.com> Sent: Sun, Sep 1, 2013 11:14 pm Subject: From fgrv site -- please answer & I' ll post it!! (Re: my modification: saddlebags)

Question for anyone that can answer it. I'd like to add something like this to the rear of my Scamp, but my license plate is mounted under the left light and would be hidden by the left saddlebag. Can I move the plate to above the light, or are there some regulations that state where the plates should be mounted? Sent from my iPad
Old 09-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #16

Washington
(I forgot to mention that Stuart is a police officer with San Francisco PD & experienced in commercial vehicle inspection & ground transportation. He really knows the CA vehicle code! The other officers constantly call HIM for advice, codes, questions.....)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #17

Washington
in response to questions of theft/security & attachment:

The saddlebags have a lock. However, if someone wanted into them, it would probably not deter them!

I had a friend weld the pieces to attach the saddlebags & they are bolted to the bumper. Here are some photos.....
Attached Thumbnails
image-1622910827.jpg   image-724873882.jpg  

image-1232207379.jpg   image-3226527913.jpg  

Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #18

Name: Christopher
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
WOW I'm a Sheriff Deputy in NC and the only thing we are concerned with is being able to read the tag......................You can hand it anywhere as long as its lighted and facing to the rear.
ice1272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
too bad they werent a bit bigger....could put a battery in each one!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 82 Burro
Great panniers on the Burro, Gailanne!
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote