Hitch Mod to tow and carry 2 bikes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #21

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewa View Post
Doug,

Your Trilly looks very nice.

The bike rack you set up certainly is one solution to carrying 2 bikes that would get around the objections of all those who have weighed in on the double receiver option. I didn't go this rear bike rack route as I already had a cargo rack welded on to the rear of the frame, was afraid of weighing down the rear of the trailer and wasn't sure if the Trilly frame would support it. That is why I went with the front dual receiver.

A local welder welded two 2"H X 12"L X 1/4" steel plates, short side of the plate end to end, covering 2' of the outer frame, on each front side of the frame where it curves to form the tongue. One plate covers the curve where there is a bolt on the underside securing the shell. The two plates are welded together on one end and all around the edges. It wasn't possible to make the plate all one piece because of both the bend at the front and the rise of the frame in the front, but it has got to be better than what I had before. I primed the steel and then painted it black like the rest of the frame.

The welder also spot welded ( 2" weld on each joint ) all the frame pieces where they came together on the underside of the frame which before didn't look like they had much attachment. I was amazed at what a nice job he did and without damaging the fiberglass underside or front.
Nice job, my trailer had a box and a receiver on the back and was a really poor job. Yours looks well done.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #22

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I use a Curtis dual hitch, have had no problem towing my light Uhaul.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
George, thank you for sharing your experience with this setup. Glad it has worked out for you.
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote