HItch receiver for bike rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Edgar
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
HItch receiver for bike rack

I'd like to put my bike rack on the back of a 13-foot Scamp. Does anyone have advice about this?
EdgarScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have done exactly what you are proposing, but on a Trillium 4500.
It is not as simple as you might think. The receiver should be welded to the bumper, and a cross member ahead of the bumper. The amount of torque on a bike rack is surprisingly high. It will also increase the likelihood of trailer sway.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You can find a lot of controversial opinion on this subject. Dave is correct about the high torque issue, so you want a well built receiver and a good bike rack. I have seen a couple racks or receivers break off, and had one of mine bend. Bikes will tend to bounce on the rear of a trailer. A tongue mounted rack is much better if you can fit it. I've built a few rear mount receivers, generally bolted them to the bumper after reinforcing it, then to at least two crossmembers, or added a cross member so that I had 3 attachment points. There was available a bolt on receiver for the rear of some Scamps & Casitas, it might be found at Amazon.com . I have a rear rack on our Uhaul, but use the same rack on the tongue of our teardrop.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarScamper View Post
I'd like to put my bike rack on the back of a 13-foot Scamp. Does anyone have advice about this?
Adding a receiver to the back of a 13 Scamp requires an extra crossmember being added to the frame behind the graywater tank.
The bumper and the crossmember will be adequate support.
For the 13 it is best to place the crossmember up between the frame rails and notch the bumper so that the bottom of the receiver is no lower than the bottom of the bumper. This is important to prevent reducing the angle of departure of the trailer so as to prevent striking the pavement when entering or leaving driveways, gas stations etc.
Still...rear receiver bike racks on trailers tend to be very rough on bikes that's why I chose a front mount....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Noah, of Orbital Machine works is a member here at FiberglassRV. His business includes manufacturing items for Casitas and Scamps, including rear receiver hitches. If you're a welder, this may give you an idea of what's needed. If you're not a welder, you can always order one!

Scamp Travel Trailer Products
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #6

Name: gailanneM
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' and previously, 17' Burro
Washington
Floyd,

I have been looking for a front/tongue mounted bike rack. Did you make yours?
-gailanne
gailanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This a nice front mount for the A frame of any trailer, a local welder should be able to make one up for you.

Trailer tongue bike rack mod
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

New York
In Daniel's link I found reference to a commercially made tongue mounted rack by Avika, made in Canada. I think I saw one on a trailer once and it looked good. Is that what you have Floyd?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
In Daniel's link I found reference to a commercially made tongue mounted rack by Avika, made in Canada. I think I saw one on a trailer once and it looked good. Is that what you have Floyd?

Arvika web site Travel-Trailers
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Thank you , but no. Mine is made from a pair of old box fan legs and angle iron from discarded bed frames. I then bought two tray racks designed for use on roof racks and adapted them to my frame.They were placed facing in opposite directions in order to make the rack more compact. The height was determined by the contour of the trailer and getting clearance for the pedal and handlebar.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailanneM View Post
Floyd,

I have been looking for a front/tongue mounted bike rack. Did you make yours?
-gailanne
Yes I did. you can use any creative design that you like as long as it is solid and at the right height to accommodate the bicycle trays.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Name: Jo
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
With my tent camper I used a bike rack that hitched to the car and had a ball for the camper. I purchased the bike rack from business that installed the hitch on my car. Here is a link to similar product: Swagman Bike Racks - Towing 3-Bike Rack - Swagman 64601 - Bike Racks - Camping World

Since I am in process of looking for a fiberglass trailer I do not have experience with using my bike rack with a trailer.

Jo
Kelljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #13

New York
Jo; there is another discussion about the negative effects of moving the ball back from the receiver like that swagman rack does. You may want to look into it. Floyd, sounds like you do things like me, use what material you have laying around. I prefer not to use old bed frame though, I'll go get what I need from a welding/ fabrication shop I did business with when I was working. The last shop I worked in was across the street from a company that did armored cars and such, so I frequently raided their dumpster for scrap steel.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Jo; there is another discussion about the negative effects of moving the ball back from the receiver like that swagman rack does. You may want to look into it. Floyd, sounds like you do things like me, use what material you have laying around. I prefer not to use old bed frame though, I'll go get what I need from a welding/ fabrication shop I did business with when I was working. The last shop I worked in was across the street from a company that did armored cars and such, so I frequently raided their dumpster for scrap steel.
Actually, I prefer old bed frames for angle Iron, It is tougher than elephant butter...and it's FREE!. Just try and drill a hole in it!
The scavengers are scarfing up all the steel from the trash now that it's $$$$ per ton. I buy stuff from Belsons steel when needed though.(mostly square tubing.)
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #15

New York
The cutting & drilling issue is why I don't like the bed frame angle, but I do have a cutting torch. The armored car shop finally had to cover their dumpster because of the scavengers. One night I was looking for some steel plate to mount some dock bumpers on a truck, found the perfect pieces over there, right size, rounded corners, smooth edges, just right! And then I tried to drill some holes in them it was hardened steel, drill bit wouldn't touch it, had to torch out the holes!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
The cutting & drilling issue is why I don't like the bed frame angle, but I do have a cutting torch. The armored car shop finally had to cover their dumpster because of the scavengers. One night I was looking for some steel plate to mount some dock bumpers on a truck, found the perfect pieces over there, right size, rounded corners, smooth edges, just right! And then I tried to drill some holes in them it was hardened steel, drill bit wouldn't touch it, had to torch out the holes!
I've read (on another forum) that you can drill bed frame if you first heat the spot with a propane torch for about 30 seconds to de-temper it.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Good points, but it is strong, cheap, and it welds real nice!