Hitching up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #15

Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Colorado
I bought them at my local Camping World.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
We are little more experienced but I bought one of these on a local radio auction and my husband loves it as does everyone that sees it: EZ-HITCH & EZ-WORKHORSE PRODUCTS - Home It works great to push everything into alignment.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
That ez hitch looks cool. Maybe a combo of that and the mag rods would help until I get really comfortable. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The fixed length magnetic base rods will stand up to handling. The tinpot telescoping tennis ball things from Horrible Fright and ChinaMart will break about the first time you use them if not sooner. I like the convex mirror on telescoping magnetic stalk. These are all stainless but won't stand up to rough handling if not returned to the box after use. I think e-Trailer has them. Image of coupler and stinger is good in daylight but less useful at nite. I suppose they are training and familiarization devices as previously stated. After some practise, you can find points on the trailer and your rear window, deck or tailgate that are in approximate alignment when coupler and ball are also in line laterally. Getting the ball under the coupler is maybe a bot more difficult. Get out and look. Remember what you think is 2" of movement fore and aft is likely close to 6 or 8. Going out of gear to park on an automatic trans. can produce an irritating amount of movement on a slope.

jack
Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Thanks Jack. I noticed a mirror thing but it looked like it only hung onto the tailgate. Since I have a topper, I figured that wouldn't work. I'll have to research a telescoping mirror.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #20

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Didn't someone post on here somewhere about a $40 wireless camera from the likes of PepBoys or Autozone? Maybe strap a magnet to the camera and stick in on the trailer tongue or tug just for hook up?

I used to mark a spot on the ground in front of the trailer where the back tyre of the tug was when I unhitched. Then when I went to hook up I would aim to get close to the mark. I hopped out and ran back for a quick check of the ball and trailer. That would confirm how close I was and any adjustment if needed.

Since then I got used (free) camera from a buddy's car and hooked it up to my stereo. It helps but the fish eye perspective still takes some getting used to.

Jason
Old 06-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Linda, here's a link to ahitching thread I remember (and why wouldn't I?). Remote camera systems discussed at length later in thread.

A Personal Look Back at Hitching Aids

jack
Old 06-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #22

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I use the tennis balls, love them. I've gotten better at hitching up, and now I only use them part of the time.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Another magnetic stick user here. They are worth the money. If you're worried about them being high enough, I would think that the product description would tell how high they go, and you could measure your rig to see if they'd work.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Magnetic telescoping rods work for me. I do have to get out to ensure the tongue of the trailer isn't too high, but great for alignment. I made a mirror hitching device that I used for a while ( pix are in the way back file here ), but it was bulky compared to the rods, which I keep in the glove box.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The telescoping tennis ball set that I have measures 42" from base to center of the ball when extended. They were on sale at etrailer when I was placing an order for something else, so I bought them. Don't use them much, but they can be handy at times. Don't know if there are different quality ones out there.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #26

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Just asking. How many people open the hatch/ tail gate/ rear glass to see when hitching up? I tried with my hatch, and so long as it remove the parcel tray, I can see the trailer well enough to get on target. Well, used to. I have the camera now, but the trick worked.

Jason
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I splurged on a Master Lock wireless backup camera. I think it was about $175 at etrailer. I tow either a camper or a cargo trailer at least once a week, so I'm hitching up quite often. It gets power from the trailer light connector. Also, I made a cord for it with a cigarette lighter plug so that I can power it from my jump start pack. With that setup, I have used it to help pull onto leveling blocks and to keep an eye on obstructions like trees and fence posts while backing up.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I tried a couple of different wireless cameras, & they worked OK for the back of the RAV4, but I wanted to add one to the back of the trailer. Finally settled on a 2 camera wired system from Rear View Safety. Not inexpensive, but it has worked well over the last two years.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote