Holes you don't want - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Uhaul CT13
Arizona
Holes you don't want

This is my barn find.
A 3-way refrigerator was poorly (dangerous) installed.
Our style of camping would not be enhanced by having LP or DC powered refrigeration.
I don't intend to do restoration. I am sure a full rewire is in order, a lot of bare conductors and poor mods by previous owners.
First will come the shell repairs and window rebuilds.
Looks like I will be learning to lay up fiberglass.
Any advice from the group?
Attached Thumbnails
CT13.jpg   Holes.JPG  

BobDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have one use sheet metal such as heating and cooling shops use to cover the inside of the openings, and rivet new vent covers over them. Looks like vents but has sheet metal behind them.

Even 110 volt electric refrigerator needs the air flow in the back so if you want any fridge there keeping some venting might be smart. Leave a hole in the sheet metal inner panel for air flow but reduced in size.

There is this long running thread with lots of information on repairing fiberglass. Including how to patch large openings such as those if you decide to go that route. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html

Heck you might even want to consider getting a replacement door for that lower section. Storage accessible from outside is one thing the Scamps lack. Even if just enough space to store a few items such as a jack or extension cord it would be useful. Assuming you had a fridge in front of it that left some room being less bulky than a 3 way LP fridge.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Arizona
RogerDat

[QUOTE
Even 110 volt electric refrigerator needs the air flow in the back so if you want any fridge there keeping some venting might be smart.
Heck you might even want to consider getting a replacement door for that lower section. .[/QUOTE]

We have a very nice SS Coleman that will live in that spot.
I had considered an outside hatch but the vent holes were cut very close to the hookups hatch. The sidewall is pretty flimsy with that much material gone.

Your link was a great confidence builder. I have a few smaller areas I should start with to learn how the resin acts. All in all fiberglass seems forgiving.

Steve
Old 11-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've heard that you can buy fiberglass panels from Scamp, pieces that they cut out for windows. I have a dorm fridge in our Uhaul, vent space around the front but no outside ventilation, and no problems. I installed a Scamp side and rear window in ours.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

Arizona
This is why I am going to R&R all the wiring.
Thanks for all the advice. I looked at the Scamp parts store but could not find the cutouts.

RE: PM from Tom
I have watched Youtube Videos until my head hurt.
Laying up a flat panel seemed like a workable solution.
Attached Thumbnails
wire.JPG  
Old 11-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Michigan
Scamp online store is only so-so. Better by far to call them directly. Especially for more major work. Or parts for older models. I ended up on the phone with the owner who looked up what rivets fit what on my 1977 13ft.

Also if you call and order the parts listed on the web store you can get USPS shipping which is generally a whole lot cheaper than what the web store charges.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDog View Post
This is why I am going to R&R all the wiring.
Now that's ugly!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

Michigan
This I think is the right vent for the top opening. The bottom is an access panel / door.
http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...02-detail.html

The bottom is an access panel / door on mine and this looks like what they replaced it with.
http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...nt-detail.html

The phone call is to get dimensions and/or find out what they have that fits yours. Don't forget most camper manufacturers do not make this stuff they buy it someplace (mostly they all buy from the same places) so a phone call to get dimensions or supplier name and number could have those "holes" fixed for a lot less than cost of fiberglass and/or the time to lay up the panel.

The door and vent normally in those holes add strength being a frame and rigid in a couple of directions.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, that's a lot of ventilation! I have no specific fiberglassing advice, but if I could learn to do it, anybody can.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Michigan
Also I do not think that is a Scamp. Looking at the first picture the flare going back to the rear tail lights and over the door is NOT Scamp. At least as far as I know. Scamp has a metal deflector over the door.

Why the scamp store?

Just saw the UHaul CT13 in the profile.

Might want to check around Vintage trailer may have parts.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Arizona
RogerDat,
You are correct. I have a Uhaul.
Mary and Bob had a source for fiberglass panel.
Quote "I've heard that you can buy fiberglass panels from Scamp, pieces that they cut out for windows. I have a dorm fridge in our Uhaul, vent space around the front but no outside ventilation, and no problems. I installed a Scamp side and rear window in ours"
Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #12

New York
[QUOTE=RogerDat;561114]Also I do not think that is a Scamp. Looking at the first picture the flare going back to the rear tail lights and over the door is NOT Scamp. At least as far as I know. Scamp has a metal deflector over the door.

Why the scamp store?

Just saw the UHaul CT13 in the profile.

The Scamp store because the Uhauls are long out of production and no parts available. My recommendation only for fiberglass panel and rear window. Many parts including the wheels are unique to Uhaul only. Nothing available from Vintage Trailer either. The Uhaul 13 originally had only an icebox, the OP's trailer had a fridge added later and those holes cut in the side. That area of the shell is kind of flimsy and flexible so some sort of reinforcement may be necessary. As for the wiring, they typically used those Scotch-lock connectors, and I found some of the original wiring with deteriorated insulation and exposed bare wire, so a complete rewire is a very good idea
Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Thanks for the advise on the floor rot repairs

I cut out all the rod and made a cardboard pattern of the cut out area and traced it onto a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood then sealed the seams with the fiberglass cloth and then used the resin and hardener on the entire area including the underside. Worked out great and was not all that difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
1030151714.jpg   1117151139.jpg  

cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

New York
I did use Vintage Trailer to source a new power converter and awning rail, mainly because they gave out discount coupons at a rally. Original style marker lights without "uhaul" molded in the lens are available from Uhaul's parts site, but they are a common light made by Arrow
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Try a wrecking yard that has old boats. Lots of good size pieces of fg to be had there.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The 1986 16' Scamp I bought had the original reefer removed and replaced with a dorm fridge.
I replaced that with a Norcold 12/120 marine refrigerator. The power supply converts the 12 volt DC to 18 volt AC for the swing compressor and a part of the circuitry has a relay to switch the 12 volts to the oscillator. I used this to power a small 12 volt computer style fan mounted below the rear coils to improve the cooling.
The original cutouts for the fridge I filled in with fiberglass removed from the Scamp bulkheads I no longer used.
The fridge is built into the space by the door to the rear about 2 ft wide. The sides are plywood bulkheads to reinforce the shell on the street side.
Since the refrigerator needed to be higher for better access this left room for added venting from the bottom.
the top is vented behind the microwave on top.
On my trailer every space provided through the shell leaked and the floor was rotted in these areas.
When I removed the belly band I also found that there were a few unsealed holes found.
The water heater access was filled in as well and was replaced with a tankless unit on the tongue.
My goal with my camper is to have it sealed and water tight and critter and bug free.
There is currently no propane inside the camper and the A/C is a split unit with no place for water or bugs it get inside.
I just hope it works as I envision it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #17

Arizona
Update to thread

A lot of life has happened since this thread was begun.
This is what happened when I made up my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Driver Side.jpg   Rear.jpg  

Inside.jpg  
Old 07-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #18

Arizona
Continued

I think this is a much cleaner look.
Rear window was damaged. Filling in the hole was cheaper than trying to repair and seal. Much stronger shell.
Thinking of using round LED Stop/Turn/Reverse lights.

I will be selling parts, I am not sure how to list them.
Attached Thumbnails
Passanger Rear.jpg