Homemade Awning/Shade for my Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Missouri
Homemade Awning/Shade for my Burro

I just bought a vintage Burro and was wondering if anyone has had success trying to make your own, lightweight awning, sail or other type of shade for outside? There are a couple of places to hook it, and my only thought was if there weren't trees available to connect to, some sort of telescoping tent pole. I could make a canopy piece from fabric or a sheet, but preferred something a bit stiffer. Don't want to permanently attach it to camper. Also don't think I could put up one of those tailgate tent-top things by myself, plus they are heavy to pack/carry. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thought of looking on YouTube, too. Thanks in advance
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
These work out really well......

https://sites.google.com/site/ouresc...utside-awnings

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Kathy, I was thinking the same thing. Burro, don't want to attach a bag awning or a rail permanently to the shell, something lightweight...

Here's what I came up with...still to be tested in a camping situation that is not my mom's driveway, though! What you see here stayed up problem-free for a couple of days (of pleasant weather).

I got something like a 9x12 thing from Shade Sail, and I cannibalized some tall tent poles from an old canopy tent in my parents' basement. I basically am erecting the shade sail with the trailer as a support, with lines stabilizing four corners. The aluminum poles weigh almost nothing, and the shade sail folds up and fits in one of my under-seat cubbies. It's hard to explain so here are a couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4804.jpg   IMG_4805.jpg  

jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I really like the idea of the smaller, individual awnings for each window (and I am against the standard awnings). I did see one nice commercial version but it was super expensive (if I recall right about $250 EACH!)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I've been working on making awnings for my windows using shade cloth from the hardware store and wooden dowels. I initially tried Command hooks to hold the top portion, but discovered they did come loose and off in direct sun. The track you used is probably my answer. Was also struggling to figure out how to do the side supports, and have tried several less-than-satisfactory strategies, so am glad to discover your success with the PVC pipe and suction cups. Your new awnings are Very nice looking!

(BTW, it is the tan, plasticky shade cloth for now. My 1909 White Family Rotary treadle machine sews through it like a champ, while the newer machines get *very confused* tension-wise when confronting the plastic.)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #6

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I didn't want extra holes in my Burro so I added hooks attached with a two sided 3m product. I put the frame together with white plastic pipe and the awning edges fit through.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3715.jpg  
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #7

CA
Sue, would you share the name of your 3M product? Do you have any photos of your hooks, and how the pipes work in your awning?

(I think the use of PVC pipes is very smart. I've been contemplating copper pipe just for its strength and affordability. Does the PVC flex at all?)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Sue, would you share the name of your 3M product? Do you have any photos of your hooks, and how the pipes work in your awning?
(I think the use of PVC pipes is very smart. I've been contemplating copper pipe just for its strength and affordability. Does the PVC flex at all?)
LP, PVC will flex a bit but shouldn't make any difference to the awning. I doubt that any sag even in a 6' long window awning wouldn't be noticeable as the material is light weight. 3/4" would be the best bet. You could step up to schedule 80 electrical conduit for extra stiffness also. Copper? Be sitting when you see the price The window awnings posted in the side link would be real easy to make.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

Name: joe
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
You might try automotive dent removers (two suction cup style) for the anchor points on the trailer.
joewat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
LP, PVC will flex a bit but shouldn't make any difference to the awning. I doubt that any sag even in a 6' long window awning wouldn't be noticeable as the material is light weight. 3/4" would be the best bet. You could step up to schedule 80 electrical conduit for extra stiffness also. Copper? Be sitting when you see the price The window awnings posted in the side link would be real easy to make.
Dave, you may be right about the price of copper for this purpose, and I'll definitely check out the conduit as well.

I was kind of unprepared when I saw the cost of replacement tent/awning poles, that was pretty ! AND, I've always used copper pipe for long expanses of drapery rods. In those cases, the copper is much less expensive than crappy long rods with extensions that sag in the middle.

I've also been wondering what material would be best (or work) if set up in dry-fitted sections, so it could be easily broken down for storage. (Haven't tried this with pipe, and wonder if the fittings would be stable
Old 09-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewat70 View Post
You might try automotive dent removers (two suction cup style) for the anchor points on the trailer.
Joe, awesome idea! I have a whole collection of heavy-duty suction cups which are supposed to be very strong, but many of them will simply not hold on any kind of *slightly* curved surface. I will investigate these
Old 09-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #12

California
Yes LP, any of the PVC parts can be used without being glued together. I made up a PVC angle mount for my solar panels that only a few 90* angles are glued, the rest are slip fit for storage inside the case.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #13

CA
Quote:
Yes LP, any of the PVC parts can be used without being glued together. I made up a PVC angle mount for my solar panels that only a few 90* angles are glued, the rest are slip fit for storage inside the case.

Dave, just to clarify... if I used these dry-fitted sections as *poles*, would they hold up under tension?
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

California
Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #15

CA
Quote:
Old 09-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #16

Washington
Registry
Quote:

I put wooden dowels inside the pipe for stiffening. It worked really well. I am a little jealous of the simplicity of the attached pull out awnings though. I like mine better but it takes a bit longer to put up - well worth it for multi day stays.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #17

Washington
Registry

Name:   photo 3.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:   photo 2.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  28.3 KB
Quote:

Tags
awning, burro