Our Lake Superior trip was unavoidably postponed last week and hitch-itch is getting really bad so I spent some time today making a stovetop/range cover. The Scamp
original cover was nicely made but quite heavy and was not attached to the wall. If fact on one trip it somehow came crashing down and ended up on the floor. So I wanted to make a cover that was hinged to the wall, easier to store and much lighter in weight
version weighs nearly eight pounds. My version weighs half that and is easier to use, even one handed for a change. I used 1/2 inch oak plywood rather than Scamp's 3/4 inch fiber board which accounts for most of the weight
loss. I also saved weight
by using 1/2 inch thick red oak trim around the plywood. Scamp
As Colin Fletcher said decades ago in my backpacking days, "Look after the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves". After all a lighter trailer is a good thing. Right?
Anyway the only downside is losing the verticle surface where some folks hang utencils, towels, etc. but an upside is now we don't have to find a place to store the cover. We used to lean it up against the wall, but that was cumbersome enough to generate a few nicks and scratches, and always seemed ready to crash down. I now use a wooden pin to secure the new cover. (See pics below)
A note of caution if you try this at home. The shower wall is ½ inch thick. Most screws are at least this long or longer. So I ground off about ⅛ inch from the tip of each screw and carefully drilled pilot holes in the wall. If used full length the screws will raise a pimple on the white shower wall. I didn't want to give my DW any reason to sigh. I learned this lesson the hard way decades ago during my many years attending the famous "school of hard knocks". Someday I hope to graduate, but honors are unlikely.
Anyway, the trip to the North Country and Gitchy Gumee is on again soon so we will test out my hair-brained scheme.