Homemade stovetop cover in Red Oak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Homemade stovetop cover in Red Oak

Our Lake Superior trip was unavoidably postponed last week and hitch-itch is getting really bad so I spent some time today making a stovetop/range cover. The Scamp original cover was nicely made but quite heavy and was not attached to the wall. If fact on one trip it somehow came crashing down and ended up on the floor. So I wanted to make a cover that was hinged to the wall, easier to store and much lighter in weight.

The Scamp version weighs nearly eight pounds. My version weighs half that and is easier to use, even one handed for a change. I used 1/2 inch oak plywood rather than Scamp's 3/4 inch fiber board which accounts for most of the weight loss. I also saved weight by using 1/2 inch thick red oak trim around the plywood. Scamp chose ¾.

As Colin Fletcher said decades ago in my backpacking days, "Look after the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves". After all a lighter trailer is a good thing. Right?

Anyway the only downside is losing the verticle surface where some folks hang utencils, towels, etc. but an upside is now we don't have to find a place to store the cover. We used to lean it up against the wall, but that was cumbersome enough to generate a few nicks and scratches, and always seemed ready to crash down. I now use a wooden pin to secure the new cover. (See pics below)

A note of caution if you try this at home. The shower wall is ½ inch thick. Most screws are at least this long or longer. So I ground off about ⅛ inch from the tip of each screw and carefully drilled pilot holes in the wall. If used full length the screws will raise a pimple on the white shower wall. I didn't want to give my DW any reason to sigh. I learned this lesson the hard way decades ago during my many years attending the famous "school of hard knocks". Someday I hope to graduate, but honors are unlikely.

Anyway, the trip to the North Country and Gitchy Gumee is on again soon so we will test out my hair-brained scheme.

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3031.jpg   IMG_3030.jpg  

IMG_3029.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
That is a really nice mod, John. These really help the counter space situation when the stove isn't in use.

And I'm sure your wife appreciates your taking care with the wall of the shower. I remember when an EX drilled through the cabinetry to add a shelf to the inside of the closet in my Kencraft. He thought I'd be happy with the shelf, but the ugly screwheads that showed outside my otherwise pristine wooden cabinetry broke my heart.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
John,

You have done a great job with a wonderfull attention to detail. You could use lift off hinges (leevalley.com) then the cover would double as a tray if ever needed (maybe coffee and toast in bed).

cheers

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
hinge.jpg  
colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
great job, John! I really like your attention to detail. The use of the latch pin is ingenious. I am certain your wife will be more than pleased.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I read your post with interest, but didn't read the by line until I saw the pictures, then I didn't need to. Nice work.

One point... if the screws don't want to hold in the wall, then screw them in from the bathroom side and use Scamp button covers to conceal the heads.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Just on word of caution. You should never use a flammable material to make a stove cover. There is a reason all of the one you can buy are metal. If you have it down and the burner gets turned on you are in a world of hurt.

That being said, it looks really well done.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
This is a beautiful mod! Nice work.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
Just on word of caution. You should never use a flammable material to make a stove cover. There is a reason all of the one you can buy are metal. If you have it down and the burner gets turned on you are in a world of hurt.

That being said, it looks really well done.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Hard to argue with the higher risk of wood on the stove. Thankfully the Scamp doesn't have self-igniting burners that may be turned on by accident. We are in the habit of letting the stove cool down before putting on the cover and that may help. That said, the original Scamp supplied cover is 100% wood and glue. Go figure.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote