Honda Genny conversion and Box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Well, I had my first trip with my newly Propane Converted Honda Generator EU2000i with it travelling in my new rear mounted aluminum box on the rear bumper of my Bigfoot 17CB.
I've attached a picture.
The handling of the trailer was the same and I experienced no tendency for sway.
The propane cylinders stayed in the minivan with none of that gasolene smell that I had when transporting gas before.
Very nice.
The genny ran the same and, of course, I take it out of the box and secure it with a cable lock to the rear bumper when it is running. I didn't want to make vents and holes in the box, as you can see it is a good secure lockable box.
However, the conversion is NOT for the faint of heart. The US Carbeuration Kit "A" is NOT a 'plug and play' conversion.
When you've removed the gas tank, the hoses, the fuel pump, the carbeurator float bowl, float, needle valve, jet, and are preparing to drill up through the carb itself, you do have to have a lot of confidence that it'll work! It did, but I had some grinding, bending, hole filling, etc. to do to get the job done.
According to the specs, a full 20 lb propane tank should run 13 hours at full load, whereas the internal gas tank allowed only 4 hours, requiring those fussy, messy fuel additions, instead of a simple propane tank switch.
Here where I am, the propane is $17 CDN per tank and the equivalent Gasolene would be about $13 CDN, so I'm only paying about 30% more. I can live with that for the convenience!
I am pleased with both the conversion and the box mounting!
Mike .....>

Attached Thumbnails
Genny_and_Box__Medium_.jpg  
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Looks good Mike. Have you thought of running a line from the trailer propane supply for the convenience of not carrying another bottle around?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Love it!

I put a similar but full width box on the back of my Trillium, with taillights and license plate moved to the face of the box.
Word of warning: Careful about backing up. The aluminum isn't as forgiving as the steel bumper. I've had to hammer it back in to shape twice (One mishap each for my husband and me).
Per Jim's question:
Does the propane converted gen. run at RV pressure or outdoor (like BBQ) pressure?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote