Hot Water in a small camper. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler
i am trying out this new (to me) gizmo i picked up from camping world.
it is a tankless water heater for camping.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...er-heater/37786
it works with propane and ignites with a couple of D cell batteries.
i have hooked it up in my yard to see if it does what they say it will, and low and behold for $125 bucks and 13 pounds there is a hot water heater that is as mobile as my trailer.
just thought i'd share with the masses.
if you already have one of these or something similar, what are your experiences?
is i get an opportunity to put this to the test, i'll post my findings. at the moment with my back-yard test it is doing what they say it would do.

Name:   37786n.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  4.5 KB

Erik J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I came very close to buying one of those tankless water heaters. I hear they work pretty well in most situations, with the exception of high wind that blows out the pilot light. I hope yours works well for you, please report back after you have had some long term usage. We still might end up with one of those later on down the road.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
I came very close to buying one of those tankless water heaters. I hear they work pretty well in most situations, with the exception of high wind that blows out the pilot light. I hope yours works well for you, please report back after you have had some long term usage. We still might end up with one of those later on down the road.
there is no pilot on this heater.
when water moves through it, the batteries ignite the heater. when water stops moving it goes out. i'll be using it in a couple of weeks in potentially high wind areas in the Lucerne Valley by Johnson Valley/29 Palms. i'll let you know how it hols up to the wind hot days and freezing nights.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I've seen that on the CampingWorld website, too. Alas, it is designed for outdoor use only. If it could be mounted inside I think Lynne and I would use it in the Surfside.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #5

Quote:
I've seen that on the CampingWorld website, too. Alas, it is designed for outdoor use only. If it could be mounted inside I think Lynne and I would use it in the Surfside.
i see what you mean.
in my case, i have a small "changing tent" that will be the shower. so this will be mounted to the back of the boler/elmac or whatever this thing is and run from the outside.
one of the features i like most about it is the weight. i try to keep everything i put in my trailer light weight so it pulls nicely down the road.

i have another 6 gallon water heater i planned to use in a custom enclosure, but the weight difference is why i went with this one.
if things go erll i will likely be having the 6 gallon heater up for sale before long.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Peter,
They are no different than a regular water heater as far as combustion air and exhaust. As long as they are sealed from the inside of the trailer like a water heater or furnace they would be fine.

Bill K

Quote:
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
They are no different than a regular water heater as far as combustion air and exhaust. As long as they are sealed from the inside of the trailer like a water heater or furnace they would be fine.
Well, yes and no. Traditional propane RV heaters are designed to fit in a big honkin' hole in the shell. The heater slides in through the hole, and is built so that the combustion chamber opens outward and is sealed away from the trailer interior by the heater bulkhead, forcing all the combustion gasses to safely vent outside. I could certainly see modifying the Camping World by building an opening with a similar bulkhead into which the heater fits . . . which would basically create a sealed outer compartment with a vented door into which the heater fits. It would be a lot of work, and I'd have to buy or borrow some tools to make it happen, but it could be done.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I seem to be in "Hot Water" whether I'm in the trailer or not...Some one throw in the towel and a bar of soap !!! LoL.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is another crazy idea. LOL
Hang your heater on a lantern pole outside, run a propane hose to your propane tank and then a hot and a cold hose to your trailer. You would have to install a recessed laundry faucet permanently and hooked up to your hot and cold water lines.

Bill K

Quote:
Well, yes and no. Traditional propane RV heaters are designed to fit in a big honkin' hole in the shell. The heater slides in through the hole, and is built so that the combustion chamber opens outward and is sealed away from the trailer interior by the heater bulkhead, forcing all the combustion gasses to safely vent outside. I could certainly see modifying the Camping World by building an opening with a similar bulkhead into which the heater fits . . . which would basically create a sealed outer compartment with a vented door into which the heater fits. It would be a lot of work, and I'd have to buy or borrow some tools to make it happen, but it could be done.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I was thinking along those lines too... it seems you could find a place out side to mount it (maybe near the tongue) and just run a line in for the hot water. We plan to build a tongue box around our propane/battery set up, so that would give us a place to hang it when in use. We are not quite ready for this step yet, but I am interested to see how it works out for those who have one.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #11

well, there is no shower inside of my 13 foot boler, so my plan is to use one of these "pet" tents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	toiletshower.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	17624

i plan to either mount the heater to the back of the trailer, or weld on a "receiver" of sorts to the existing bumper, and hang it from a pole attached to the receiver.
there is a 13 gallon water tank in the boler, and it will easily allow 3-5 showers.

so... i have cold water being pumped out the back of the trailer to a quick disconnect. from there to the heater. water comes out of the heater to a "tee" the tee goes both to the sink in the boler and the "pett" shower.

the heater turns itself on when water flows as does the pump. all is quiet until you open a valve, at which time the pump runs and the heater ignites until the water stops flowing. i have thia all connected and running now. i have tested it in the driveway and alll works well.
i'll see if i can get some pictures tomorrow.

for those of us with the small trailers and no shower with weight as a concern, this is an economical and light weight solution.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all This hot water question seems to be getting too complicated. In our 2+ years rattling around in our Scamp 13, we have simply used a pot on the stove (inside or out) to heat as much water as we need for the task(s) at hand. When boondocking, we use a 'privacy room' similar to Erik's with a Coleman battery-operated shower head and a storage tub to keep our tootsies out of the mud (thanx, Gina, for this hint). We generally use the park showers if available (and acceptable!) Not too much extra weight or gadgets to pack around. Just our experience - as always, YMMV. Happy trails - L 'n D
Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Hi all This hot water question seems to be getting too complicated.
Oh come on -- I've been holding off on my Garden Sprayer spiel

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Hi all This hot water question seems to be getting too complicated. In our 2+ years rattling around in our Scamp 13, we have simply used a pot on the stove (inside or out) to heat as much water as we need for the task(s) at hand. When boondocking, we use a 'privacy room' similar to Erik's with a Coleman battery-operated shower head and a storage tub to keep our tootsies out of the mud (thanx, Gina, for this hint). We generally use the park showers if available (and acceptable!) Not too much extra weight or gadgets to pack around. Just our experience - as always, YMMV. Happy trails - L 'n D
How about considering the simple solar water heater? A 2.5 gal one is more than ample for one frugal shower. Get a 5 gal one if you require two or more showers or extra hot water for other tasks. It is just slightly more of a hassle but the cost outlay is minuscule in comparison ($25.99/5 gal & $15.99/2.5 gal) and only consumes free energy.

Five Gallon Model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2Q0T4

2.5 gallon model: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-Ga...ref=pd_sim_sg_4

I prefer this avenue
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Quote:
How about considering the simple solar water heater? A 2.5 gal one is more than ample for one frugal shower. Get a 5 gal one if you require two or more showers or extra hot water for other tasks. It is just slightly more of a hassle but the cost outlay is minuscule in comparison ($25.99/5 gal & $15.99/2.5 gal) and only consumes free energy.

Five Gallon Model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2Q0T4

2.5 gallon model: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-Ga...ref=pd_sim_sg_4

I prefer this avenue

ME too, Me too....... ......just be careful cause sometimes those solar showers just TOO hot and one has to add a bit of cool water. Like the bags with the attached temp gauge on them.
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Cool

Garden sprayer on solar steriods: Solar shower

Quote:
Oh come on -- I've been holding off on my Garden Sprayer spiel

R.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
How about considering the simple solar water heater? ...
And when do you take your showers in the middle of the day? Does not make sense to me to stop my routine in the middle of the day for a shower
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #18

to each his/her own.
i'll pass on the solar shower. i prefer to have a nice hot shower when i get back from playing in the desert.
the weather in the desert right now where i like to play is 50° day and 29° at night.
most often i come back to the trailer from my day of rolling around in the dirt just before dark where the temperatures are chilly.
a hot shower sure sounds nice.

if the bag-o-water works for you... more power to ya'. i prefer to have a HOT shower over a 50° shower.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
to each his/her own.
i'll pass on the solar shower. i prefer to have a nice hot shower when i get back from playing in the desert.
the weather in the desert right now where i like to play is 50° day and 29° at night.
most often i come back to the trailer from my day of rolling around in the dirt just before dark where the temperatures are chilly.
a hot shower sure sounds nice.

if the bag-o-water works for you... more power to ya'. i prefer to have a HOT shower over a 50° shower.
Oh you can have one with a bag. We have used these a lot kayaking and here on the wet coast we often just added a bit of boiled water to get it up to a nice warm shower level when the sun failed us or we did not have time to wait for the sun.

Carol

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We have to add cool water to our bag shower here in Arizona.
I don't think a stove can heat water as hot or a s fast as the Arizona sun can....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote