How do I adhere EVA foam to fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
How do I adhere EVA foam to fiberglass

I will hopefully be done removing all the contact glue and bits of ensolite from my trailer walls today. What a long, messy process!

I bought approximately 1/4" thick EVA foam in 4 x 8 sheets and need to adhere them to the fiberglass, but not sure which type of contact cement or spray to use.
I also have vinyl going on top of the EVA foam. The vinyl has a thin layer of foam, maybe 1/16" or 1/8" thick, but I am not sure what type of foam.
I was thinking I would use 3M 77 Super Adhesive for the foam over foam.
Would this product also work for the foam to fiberglass? I can't find anything on 3M's website for fiberglass. Anyone use it before?

Barb

Sorry I should have posted this in the "owner's helping owner's". Haven't had my morning caffeine yet.
BarbT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Barb--

Most people have reported that the 3M77 is not strong enough---3M 90 is the adhesive used most often.

I recently put Reflectix then vinyl on my walls and used the 3M 90.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I haven't opened the cans yet so I'll return them today and try a few different stores for the 3M 90. They didn't have any at the Canadian Tire store we went to.
Vickie, do you remember how many cans you needed to do the double layers?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Registry
Oh, Barb---hang on to your check book----at $13 a can from Lowe's ----I know we used over 10. I stopped counting cause it was making me crazy! Maybe I was using too much---but I don't think so. The can says you're supposed to spray it on BOTH SURFACES. So, we'd spray it on the fiberglass and the back of the material, wait a minute or two till tacky--then apply. We bought a respirator (about $30 I think)---cause it is potent stuff!

I will say I was pleased with the "texture" of it. That is---it seemed more of a silly string substance than an aearsol (sp). And the nozzle had 3 spray patterns.

But, yea, it got expensive.

As a side bar---I was going to use the vinyl for the trim (where the pieces seamed together), but the vinyl was so thick--folding it was NOT working. I eventually used cotton belting from the fabric store---and for this I used Beacon's Fabri Tac. Was a wonderful product to work with!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Registry
Here's a picture of the vinyl and trim.
Attached Thumbnails
P6290009.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Eeek! That's way more than we can spend to get this stuff up. We just spent close to $170 for the foam and vinyl so another $130 isn't possible for us right now. I thought you would say 2, maybe 3 cans.
I have a can of LePage water-based contact cement so I am going to try that first. We are still sanding down the inside. What a process, especially for a blistering hot day.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found a solution for attaching the two pieces of foam together. Hot glue sticks work amazingly well. I only did a small test piece (haven't actually attached to the fiberglass) and it was a very strong bond. I couldn't separate it afterwards at all.
I am not sure how much it would take to do the entire trailer, so I am not sure of the cost. I have a large pack on hand so it would be cheaper for me.
I don't think this would work for attaching it to the fiberglass, but at least I solved one of the problems cheaply and can get by with half the amount of spray adhesive that I would need.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #8

Registry
Good to think out of the box! I know people have used contact cement. Hope you are taking pictures!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Boler
ya the 3m77 stuff works okay until a hot day then it peels
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #10

We returned the 3M 77, but cannot find this 3M 90 anywhere. We've looked at the local fabric store that sells foam and carries adhesives, we've looked at 4 different hardware/big box stores.
Any other suggestions? We are hoping to be able to get it up today so we can take the trailer camping early Thursday.
Has anyone tried the Lepage Contact Cement. The green stuff that is waterbased? I'd hate to give that a go, only to have it fall down while we are camping.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Barb,
If you're looking at stores, look for adhesives that are "heat resistant" - more designed for the heat that a headliner will sustain.

I've seen other's experiences saying 10+ cans. This $9/can Loctite may work - it's moisture and heat resistant and upholstery is one of the recommended applications. I haven't used it in large applications Shop LOCTITE 13.5 Oz. Interior/Exterior Spray Adhesive at Lowes.com

I used DAP Weldwood HHR at $30 gal (took 1 gallon for the whole Boler) and it's held up great in the last month of high heat (tho, that's not a long time. But it's used commonly for auto or marine interiors): 1 Gal. DAP Weldwood HHR Contact Cement

If you can't find an option to get it local or shipped to you; check with a local upholster, stereo shop that re-does interiors, auto shops etc - to see if they have a distributor that could order it for you.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #12

Registry
Barb - I meant to add, you may want to call local shops and just see what they use for interiors, and see if you can buy from them. They probably buy wholesale, and it's probably economical!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #13

Thanks for your reply Luke.
Yesterday we called a fiberglass fabricator. They did have a product that would bond anything to fiberglass. It was $25 for a 250ml tube! Um, no thanks.
The RV place we called recommended PL 200. We ended up going with PL 300. I put it on with a chaulking gun and trowelled it out. I did about half the trailer yesterday and it seems to be holding well and it was about 32 celcius here yesterday. Only time will tell if it will hold up.
I will start a separate thread with some pictures of the progress later on today for those that are interested.
Thanks for all your help everyone I really appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbT View Post
We returned the 3M 77, but cannot find this 3M 90 anywhere. We've looked at the local fabric store that sells foam and carries adhesives, we've looked at 4 different hardware/big box stores.
Any other suggestions? :
I am not sure but I believe some 3M products are under a different name in Canada, and some Aerosols that are common in the US are banned up there. You might need to check 3M's website.

(EDIT) 3M lists 90 on as a Canadian product, and listed Home Depot as a vendor. Home Depot Canada does not list it... At all... Very interesting.

I will vouch for the 3M90 as well. I have tried several other products and they have all eventually failed. The extra $ pales in comparison to having to re-strip and do it all over again.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #15

Registry
PL products may work fine! The previous owner in mine used a combo of PL and Gorilla Glue, it was a chore removing the carpet! He didn't trowel it, but he used household carpet for the walls and so the backing was stiff enough that full contact wasn't needed.