How do I fix broken corner of the door - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
How do I fix broken corner of the door

The bottom corner of my 70's 13' Boler is chipped. The bottom 2-3" on the one corner is broken off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160222_162116.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	92977

How can i fix this?

davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
It looks to be a rather straightforward repair, build up with glass cloth and resin, then file and sand to the proper shape. There must be "how to videos" on U-Tube to give you some basic knowledge. I think the trickiest part is to get the first layer of glass to conform to the proper shape until the resin cures. I would tape a piece of cardboard as a piece of cereal box, or similar to the inside of the door lip. Layup the first piece of cloth and resin over the armature, then after the resin cures, do a bit of shaping. Repeat until you get the desired thickness.

1999 Scamp Fifth Wheel, pulled by a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro4-X
Dennis mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
If you can get to both sides of the area you can 1) Rough up the area on the inside and taper back to sound glass and beyond 2) Tape a piece of waxed Formica to the outside. Use a piece large enough so it will take on the curvature of the door. 3) Apply epoxy resin to the Formica, then fiberglass finishing cloth (only barely overlapping the broken edge 4) Continue with mat and roving, wetting out each with epoxy and overlapping the joint more with each layer 5) Stop this process only after the thickness is greater than the surrounding area 6) Allow to dry overnight 7) Remove Formica 8) Sand/fill/prime as needed down to 220 grit 9) Paint or spray gel coat with a Preval sprayer (if your unit is still gel coat)
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
Name: Steve
Trailer: Fleetwood Prowler
Nice description.
SteveSmith is offline   Reply With Quote