How do you add wiring for a Fantastic Fan or Maxxfan in a Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Name: Theresa
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
Saskatchewan
How do you add wiring for a Fantastic Fan or Maxxfan in a Boler?

After reading numerous posts about how happy people are after adding a Fantastic fan or Maxxfan to their units I decided that is the next mod I need to do. We did not spend a whole lot of time camping last year but when we did we found that our '75 Boler got really hot during the afternoons. We have a 3 year old at home and another on the way so I figure this will make their afternoon naps a lot more enjoyable. Also if we decide to bring our dogs and have to leave them in the Boler for some reason they will be ok. The problem is we only have a vent installed right now... no fan... so I am guessing there is no power up there hiding. I know nothing about electrical. My dad had purchased this Boler for me and my family 2 years ago and we spent last winter and spring doing a LOT of work on it. We did replace the exterior lights but that is all the electrical that was done. It does have the original power converter in there however there is battery hooked up. That is also something I would like to look into doing.
Does anyone have any experience adding wiring for a fan? Or is there another thread that explains how to do it? I cant seem to find much information about the wiring... but lots about how to install the rest of it. Any info would be appreciated

Theresa
thejanzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
jmh

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Hi Theresa,
I installed a Fantastic Fan a year ago. It was easy and this is how I wired it. I removed the old under-cabinet light (above the sink ) as it was broken and replaced it with a couple of AA battery powered lights from Canadian Tire (about $6) that use velcro to hold them in place . The two wires for the old light were then connected to the fan. To do so I had to snake the fan wires under the ensolite insulation on the ceiling between the fan and the top of the cupboard, pull them into the cupboard and connect to the old light wiring. You should be able to peel back the insulation enough to gently push a stiff wire (from a coat hanger) through and tape the fan wires to it to pull them through to
the inside of the cupboard.
jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am not sure if it will help, since I installed a Fantastic fan on a Trillium 4500, with front shelves. I used the shelves to route the wire. I also used a wire guide that I purchased at Home Depot.

You could use the wire guide instead of pushing the wire under the ensolite. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I would just worry about going through the ensolite.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/i...29983/4506.jpg
Legrand Wiremold | Plastic CordMate Cord Channel White | Home Depot Canada
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Name: Theresa
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
The two wires for the old light were then connected to the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I also used a wire guide that I purchased at Home Depot.
Thanks for the tips!

Jim,
I never thought about using the wires from the light above the sink. Sounds much easier that trying to figure out whats going on under the sink... That's a whole other project for another day.

David,
The wire guide that you picked up from Home Depot... is it flexible at all? From what I recall the ceiling in the boler isn't completely flat.

I am a little worried about trying to fish the wires under the ensolite but even if I do poke a hole through I am sure some caulking and paint would cover it up ok. There is still quite a lot of snow around my Boler so I wont be able to get a closer look at things for a few weeks yet but I am anxious to get started.

Theresa
thejanzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Something easier to do and more versatile is the use an endless breeze fan.
Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze 12V Fan - Fan-Tastic Vent CW01100WH - Fans - Camping World
You can hang it from either window using a piece of pvc pipe holding the feet off the screen. Blow in or out from either side, or use outside. Even use it when its raining.
How to do it
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
jacketed wire ( two wires enclosed in a grey plastic) may be easier or neater to run if they are exposed. loop clamps or wire ties may help too in the routing. don't forget to fuse it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejanzens View Post
The wire guide that you picked up from Home Depot... is it flexible at all? From what I recall the ceiling in the boler isn't completely flat.
It is somewhat flexible, (PVC?) I don't think it would break from following the roof of a Boler. But, like one of the reviews says, the glue strip is not strong enough. Mine no longer touches the Ensolite, it is held in place by the angle piece I drilled into the shroud around the fan, and the other angle piece ty-wrapped to the shelf.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler