How do you lift the body off of the frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
How do you lift the body off of the frame

I have a Trillium 1300 and I plan on trying to take my body off and change the axel. I also plan on taking care of the frame but that is another subject. So far this is what I've been told

Mine was done at Trillium / Outback, so it was really easy. On a 4500 there are 8 bolts holding the trailer to the frame. Four in the gaucho, four in the dinette seats. A 1300 only has two in the dinette seats. After you get those off, (no small feat) then the body gets jacked up till you can pull the frame out. Two long 6 x 6 timbers would help. I had the new bolts installed with the nuts on the inside, so rust would not be such an issue next time.

My question is, how do I get the beams between the shell and the frame? I will most likely have to do this by myself and hopefully my wife. I'm concerned about placing the jack on the shell to left it, I can see it breaking through. Once it is up, jacking on the beam isn't an issue as long as it doesn't fall or blow off. I want to get it back on the frame as quickly as possible so I'll be able to sleep at night again.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Here is what I did to lift off my Trillium 1300 shell from frame for total modification. All works had been done by....just me with simple basic tools: a car jack, 4 car stands/or even 4 garden chairs. Some pcs of woods...
-First, empty trailers as most as possible: fridge, furnace, sink, tank...bunk bed, table out all mattresses. In my case, I even took out all cabinet doors and gas stove.
-Second, dismantle gas line, label them and save good fittings. In my case I just cut all off and replace with new fittings and stainless steel pipes. Then cut off green ground wire from frame, disconnect all harnesses. In my case, I just cut all off and put in total new wires/harnesses.
-Now, cut off all bolts which connect frame with shell..In my case there were 6 total. Next step..TIME FOR ACTION..
Using car jack with a short piece of wood to lift off one shell corner without poking thru it. Hold its position with a car stand. Do the same thing for other side, no matter front end or rear end you choose. When one end of shell is lifted off, I slide a steel rail across and let it positioned on 2 car stands. In my case I actually use 2 garden chairs. Now the empty shell is so light and easy also safe to work with. Lower shell one corner at a time to station on rail. Using same method with a second rail. In my case also using other pair of garden chairs...After all, take off 2 wheels from frame. now the frame is dropped ON THE FLOOR AND BE AS FREE AS A BIRD. You can pull it either way with possible make **** dolly ( My case I use a piece of plywood rest on 2 black water pipes. THE END and good luck. ...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Some find it less scary to do it the other way around.
Jack up the trailer (frame and body together) by the frame.
Support your body, remove or cut your bolts as required, then slowly lower the frame to the ground. Then you can run your beams across to support the body and finally pull your frame out.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

I will try option one, lift it from the frame. I must say I am a little shocked that garden chairs can hold the shell up but it is probably fear that is driving those thoughts. This was exactly what I was looking for.

I’m hoping that I will be able to check on the axel before the end of the week and try to make plans from there. I will eventually start a thread to document what I am doing with pictures. My goal is to be done by the end of May 2015
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Depends on the chairs. Mine is rated for 400 pounds, so four of them would theoretically hold the whole trailer up (although I wouldn't test the theory, myself).

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

I plan on using concrete block because I have so many. I hope I won't need to buy anymore.