How do you tie things down inside the camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
How do you tie things down inside the camper

there's no bracket s or anything to bungee to. so it doesn't hur so it doesn't hurt anything
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
there's no bracket s or anything to bungee to. so it doesn't hur so it doesn't hurt anything
I always envied those folks who know how to tie just the right knot. Then Maggie bought a knot book. I still can't tie knots, unless were in the door yard and I can find the book. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

New Hampshire
But there's nothing to tie to no bracket or hooks or anything I'm not sure where to put them
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have a basic rule about stuff we take with us. If it's to be uses inside the trailer it goes into the trailer most likely inside a cupboard or storage area. If it's to be used outside it goes in the back of the truck, things like chairs, folding tables, camp stoves, etc.

At time when we're traveling we just need a few hours sleep, so a campground or RV resort is not necessary. We simply find a place to park and sleep. There's nothing inside the trailer to get in the way.

I don't look at the trailer as something to haul stuff in, I look at it as a place to live in.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron kinnaman View Post
i have a basic rule about stuff we take with us. If it's to be uses inside the trailer it goes into the trailer most likely inside a cupboard or storage area. If it's to be used outside it goes in the back of the truck, things like chairs, folding tables, camp stoves, etc.

At time when we're traveling we just need a few hours sleep, so a campground or rv resort is not necessary. We simply find a place to park and sleep. There's nothing inside the trailer to get in the way.

I don't look at the trailer as something to haul stuff in, i look at it as a place to live in.
ditto!but I have been known to bring home a piece of antique furniture now and then.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
But there's nothing to tie to no bracket or hooks or anything I'm not sure where to put them
Ok I understand. I don't carry cargo in the trailer for fear of damage. I do put the solar panel on the bed tucked between the rear wall and the sink but that's about it. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

New Hampshire
its the small folding table and folding camp recliner chair i have in place of the captains chairs. eventually i will have the table hinged to the wall. the chair fits under the bed but i would like to tie it so it stays there

when ppl add little sheleves and things how do they know where it is ok to screw in or do you use something different than screws?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We have never had to "tie" anything down in our camper except the TV gets strapped in place on it's shelf. If we put anything on the bed for travel it gets put against the wall with the bed pillows to the outside of it.The table has always traveled in the down( or rather bed postion) if something sets in under that it sets on a rubber backed rug if we think it might slide around.If something has to set in the isle it gets a blanket or rug throwed around it so that stays in place.

We don't travel off road with our camper sometimes we have been on rough roads(lots of pot holes) leading to a campground but we haven't ever had problems with stuff sliding around.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm screwing anchors into the floor to strap the kayaks and bike to.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #10

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
If I have a smooth fiberglass surface where I'd like to have a hook, I use Command hooks or I sometimes use 3M VHB tape if I need a stronger bond.

Another option is 3M 4200 Fast Cure adhesive. Glue a small block of hardwood to the fiberglass wall, then screw a fixture to the block. However, if you have rat fur in the area, you'll have to cut away and clean the surface before attaching the block.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #11

New Hampshire
again-i'm glad i asked. a lot of good ideas here. i love the rubber back rug idea. that will be so easy and makes so much sense.

i am on good roads and spend much more time parked than moving so i am different than a lot of you i guess.

i always did throw a quilt over anything i put in the open space-just because i guess. maybe that is why they didnt move so much anyway. they hardly move as it is but with all i've learned about where you carry the load and having a smaller TV than a full size truck i wanted to be organized right.

so-maybe i should ask arlon or one of the casita ppl but are the floors pretty much just wood under the vinyl? i wonder how thick they are-to know what size screw.

wait a minute jared...you put kayaks and a bike INSIDE???

can you just buy these things at lowes or home depot or a hardware store?:

" I use Command hooks or I sometimes use 3M VHB tape if I need a stronger bond.

Another option is 3M 4200 Fast Cure adhesive."

thanks again.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We carry some of our clothing in plastic boxes under the bed. Unless secured they end up in the front of the trailer. Solved this by holding them in place with one of those shower curtain tension rods side to side under the bed. Stuff always stays in place, nothing tied to anything.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #13

New Hampshire
that is such a great idea...and one of my problems...so easy. ty
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
When I removed the water tank, pump, etc. I also discarded the exiting sink as it was quite a bit larger than we needed and more than a bit decrepit. After a couple of times out, we found that we really needed a sink.

I made one using the stainless steel lid from a non-working electric fry pan. Then we bought several basins for various used that would fit into the new sink.

When traveling the basins and a stainless steel tea kettle ride in the sink.

Our sound system consists of two JBL computer speaker sets, the $30 ones from WalMart, each with two small satellite speakers and a small subwoofer powered by the trailer's 12 volt battery. One set is mounted under a cabinet that I added, and the other under the cabinet at the rear that I added also.

The audio inputs to these are wired together to a small plug that fits a pancake CD player, a short wave radio and a lap top computer. The best way we've found to keep the CD player, radio and lap top quarantined during travel is to place them under the pillows on the bed with a comforter tucked in nicely under the mattress.

Unfortunately in implementing my KISS philosophy I have torn these wooden cabinets out and am replacing them with large wire shelves from the closet section of Home Depot. I also plan to upgrade the sound system. Perhaps one from Bose or one of the 'knock-offs'. These wire shelves are not as pretty as the nice cabinets with hardwood framed doors that I had previous made. But they have a much larger capacity, air flows through them and it is much easier to locate and access whatever is on them.

The front one is done and we like it, so will get busy on the rear one soon. So far nothing has fallen out during travel, but if this becomes a problem it would be easy to tie things down using bungee cords of an appropriate length.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Now that I have room in the back of the car, I prefer not carrying things on the trailer floor, also. The top drawer of the clothes chest does go on the floor but is easy to lift back to its place. I used to carry enough things that they didn't need strapping down as they filled the two foot wide space. But this is better. Xpens and chairs go in the Forester cargo area and only things used in the trailer store in the trailer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:

wait a minute jared...you put kayaks and a bike INSIDE???
Yep.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Just about everything I carry inside the trailer is in a cupboard or drawer- on my open shelves I use small boxes that fit snug enough to stay put. I've also installed (riveted to interior walls) a few extra coat hooks- those are handy for hanging bags of "stuff" if necessary. This works well for fragile things like bread, eggs, produce.

I like to keep the inside floor clear so I can use the trailer en route- I do occasionally put a lawn chair/side table under the table- a bungee cord on the table leg keeps them in place.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #18

Name: Bruce & Kaye
Trailer: U-Haul 13ct
Georgia
Registry
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We carry some of our clothing in plastic boxes under the bed. Unless secured they end up in the front of the trailer. Solved this by holding them in place with one of those shower curtain tension rods side to side under the bed. Stuff always stays in place, nothing tied to anything.
Storage bin under the bed, with a tension rod to secure. Perfect!
BruceandKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #19

Name: Bruce & Kaye
Trailer: U-Haul 13ct
Georgia
Registry
Hole-Lee-Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yep.

You da' man. Can't wait to show the hubby this one! Makes my desire to take a flat griddle pretty reasonable!
BruceandKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Small folding chairs and tables ride either under the table or in the bathroom.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote