How I carry two bikes with my Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
How I carry two bikes with my Scamp 16

It didn't take long to figure out that the Scamp's rear bumper hitch receiver would not work well for carrying two bikes. Too many issues to deal with or put up with.
After considering other alternatives, this is what I ended up doing. It has worked great so far.

I mounted one of the bikes in the back of the Ford Escape, with the handle bars turned backwards. It won't fit with the handle bar not turned backwards. (the other bike is taller and won't fit in the Escape). The fork bracket is mounted to a board that is free to move as needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2482 (Copy).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	97233

The next image shows the rear tire of the bike plus the front tires of BOTH bikes mounted in slots on a piece of plywood. They are protected with foam rubber and held by a yellow bungee cord across the top.

Name:	IMG_2483 (Copy).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	97234

Another view shows the support straps going from the bike to the Escape's seat back brackets.

Name:	IMG_2484 (Copy).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	97235

The next picture shows the fork bracket mounted under the table in the Scamp. It is through bolted to the frame here. It took a little careful planning and sealing to get it in the right place and protect the floor from being damaged by water from underneath, etc.

Name:	IMG_2485 (Copy).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	97236

This next image shows the bike in place on the fork mount, with two straps to add additional support and relieve some strain on the fork mount. Surprisingly, the fork mount has never been in the way. No trips or other issues for us with mounting it there.

Name:	IMG_2486 (Copy).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	97237

The next image shows the bike in place with duffle bags placed on either side to keep the rear of the bike in place. The bags can be moved if you need to shift the bike to either side to get in the fridge or other areas.

Name:	IMG_2487 (Copy).JPG
Views:	41
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	97238

The final picture is of the whole rig, loaded and ready to go, bikes and all!

Name:	IMG_2488 (Copy).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	97239
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did something similar to carry two bikes in our pickup bed that has a cap on it. Two of the fork mounts bolted to a piece of plywood that sets just inside the tailgate. Once other items are packed on top of the plywood it can't move. I like your solution, bikes are inside, out of the weather, and not bouncing around on a rear rack.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
I load...5 bicycles(min 3 bicycles) in the Trillium with the rear table set up. All bicycles are at original shapes-no dismantling-That way, all the weights will be around axle. On the top of rear table, a bicycle trailer stationed for carrying 2 buckets of water at camp-sites. Camping for years like that w/o any problem...You folks could track down all my posts to see photos....Share...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Man that looks like a lot of trouble? One the reasons I got rid of my Scamp and went with the ParkLiner is the really nice bumper that can easily hold two bikes on a 2" receiver hitch. I tried it on the Scamp once and was scared to death I would lose my bikes due to the flimsy bumper.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I found I can transport a large adult-size bicycle inside my Scamp 13 by turning it upside down. The handlebar is bungeed to our folded First-Up awning case on the front sofa. A stout cord runs from one side of the handlebar, under the awning, over the down tube, back under the awning, and attaches to the other side of the handlebar. The size and weight of the awning hold it securely.

The rear wheel (no fender or rack) rests upside down on the floor. A small bungee holds the rear wheel stay to a crate with my wheel chocks, etc. that rides on the floor.

Solid as a rock and takes less time to do than it does to explain. No disassembly required. There is still room to get in and out of the camper and to use the galley and dinette, though it takes a little shifting to access the icebox. I'll take a picture next time.

Pretty sure I could get two in the same way, though it would likely make using the trailer in transit very difficult.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Georgia
2 bikes on 16 ft Scamp

I have a 16 ft. Scamp with a factory provided 2 inch "receiver" which is welded to the Scamp's FRAME (at rear of the Scamp). This accommodates a bike rack, which holds 2 bicycles, VERY well. I am now on my 2nd style of bike rack. With this hardware, I have transported 2 bicycles from Georgia to Michigan, and then on to Idaho, and back to Georgia, with NO problems whatsoever.
dkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Folding bicycles!

I just ordered two full-size folding mountain bicycles. This is hopefully going to be our solution. (They haven't arrived yet.) The plan is to put the folded bikes in the back of the Subaru Outback. I also ordered two massage table bags to put the bikes into to keep the car clean. (same size as and 1/3 the price of the bags the bicycle company was selling)

We tried putting our two regular bikes in the 13 ft Scamp, but they were in the way when we stopped for lunch, would not allow us to easily spend a travel night at Walmart, and got everything inside the trailer dirty. Not going to do that again.

We can't put the bikes on top of the car because that is where the kayaks are! We have to have all out toys with us, right?
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
We had a system to mount two full size bikes inside our Snoozy. Worked great but the hassle got to be too big a PITA.

Now use two 16" wheel folding bikes bungied into the back of the Jeep. So easy, 15 seconds to put away, less to take out, that they live there all the time except when we are riding them.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Dennis,
The first time we put two bikes on the rear of our Scamp 16, it swayed like crazy. I think that we also had the water tank full. We immediately returned home and dumped the bikes. I've since added an anti-sway bar but I haven't tried the bikes again. I'd like to be able to haul them on the rear of the Scamp because l like to carry a small boat on the TV. I don't want to mess with carrying them in the Scamp.
I wish the water tank could have been installed over the axle. I guess I'll try not hauling water and filling up where we camp, usually at State campgrounds without hose connections.
Sway is a pain.
Doug
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Man that looks like a lot of trouble? One the reasons I got rid of my Scamp and went with the ParkLiner is the really nice bumper that can easily hold two bikes on a 2" receiver hitch. I tried it on the Scamp once and was scared to death I would lose my bikes due to the flimsy bumper.
Apparently, your Scamp receiver was not properly installed or it would be just as strong as the one on the Parkliner.
They would be equally suitable for a bike carrier... I would use neither.
Watch for bikes on any receiver hitch behind any RV trailer on a rough road, or follow yours sometime.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry

Just hauled three bikes to the black hills from iowa. One bike was a very heavy tandem. Did this on my bed cover by installing a 2x4 and these... Sunlite Fork Mount Bike Block https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO7GRG..._RhIKxbKA82FM7

I zip tied the wheels to the bikes and cut them when riding, reapplied after each ride.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp