How strong should brakes be? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Interesting. My controller seems to be the same. It goes up to 12 also. It is a Tekonsha P3 . It actually goes to 14 and it seems to be the voltage it is putting out to the trailer. I tried 6 and 12 and 14 and all the boost settings and read the manual 4x. Manual or automatic never lock up the brakes. I did it with someone who has worked on trailers for 10+ years.

How do you adjust the brakes? Perhaps we did something different. I assume you know you have 7" and not 10" because people have reported the 10" locking up like you said. You have a Boler and the weak brakes seem to be on the scamps, but I don't know why that would matter if we all have 7" electric brakes.

How many miles do you have on the brakes? Most people agree they get better with mileage for a little while.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I want the best braking possible and would love to get to the bottom of this.

ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
We have the same controler and a similar trailer (Boler 13 and Scamp 13?) Can you not get your trailer to hop when you are driving 10 MPH and manually by hand push the lever on the controler all the way to the left so that the controler reads 12 or more? Mine locks up when I do this. However it does not lock the brakes up when I drive normally. I have the setting on 6 (I think with boost 1) At slow speeds using the the hand manual slider I hear the brakes humming. When I first got my new axle the brakes were like yours, but after 3 adjustments and 4000km the brakes are now OK. Let them wear in and re-adjust

rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
I go 10 or 25 mph and when I manually by hand push the lever so the controller reads 12-14 I get a distinct tug but nothing like the brakes locking up the axle. I tried settings of 6, 12, and others. I tried all the boost settings (which theoretically I didn't think would matter and it didn't).

I'm waiting for the wear in and readjust period .
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Originally Posted by rhkirkham View Post
My 13' Boler weighs about 1250 on the axle. I can lock up the wheels so that it jumps around like crazy if I manually use the controler. My controler goes up to 12 with 10 decimals between each. If I crank it to 12 it locks up manually. If I put the controler to 6 (what the manufacturer recommends to start) it does not lock up using the brake pedal. The problem is picking the correct setting for your trailer. I finally had to use the boost to get the setting I like. (I have 3 boost settings that seem to give a bit more brake) I think there is more than enough stopping power in the 7" brakes. I think you just have to set them up correctly.
The purpose of the 'boost' setting on a prodigy is to make the controller "ramp up the braking power" more quickly when you first apply the tow vehicles brake pedal. It does not change the total amount of braking being applied.
In other words, with no boost set, when you touch the brakes on your tow vehicle, the trailer brakes essentially come on gradually. When you set the boost let's say to "1", as soon as you touch the brake pedal, you immediately start getting 13% of what the total braking is going to be ( but the same maximum ). At boost 2, you start with 25% of the total braking.
You may find that if you set the boost too high, it can make the brakes feel kind of "juddery" ( technical term ! ) around town at slow speeds. So sometimes I punch mine back to "no boost" when going thru stop and go traffic, and then punch it back up to B1 one I clear out of town.

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote