How to install Burro rock guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Name: Windy
Trailer: Burro
California
How to install Burro rock guard

New owner of a 1981 Burro. All seems great, no leaks, until a 70 mph drive through the rain...it's seems that water makes it way through the front window due to the design of the window. So, planning on adding a front rock guard. We're planning on making one from polycarbonate and some rubber seal. The only concern is how to attach the guard.
Thoughts - glass in a sheet of aluminum and attach there, or is there a simpler fix? I don't want to put all the weight of the rock guard and four rivets on the fiberglass alone.
Winster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Windy, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I am not a Burro owner, so can't help with your question. But, there are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums so I'm betting someone will step in with the answers you seek.

Do you have any pictures to share? We love pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Hi - I have an '83 Burro, it had a rockguard on it - basically it's a curved aluminum frame holding a piece of opaque plastic or fiberglass; I mounted a 36" stick of 1"x1" tube aluminum by through-bolting to the front, above the window, using 3/8" stainless steel bolts,with a 1 1/2" x 12" piece of 3/16" aluminum as a backing plate.

then I used a plated piano hinge to connect the frame to the tube aluminum, and attached the support arm (you can use those struts like on a hatchback) by slicing 1" x 1" angle aluminum, and through-bolting them in place right through the window frame.

Since I started with something, I could adapt fairly easily...starting from scratch means you's need to be more creative. Scamp, I believe, sells a shield that clips on - check their website.

Either way, I agree with you that water will find a way in through the window panes if it isn't diverted by some type of guard. Plus, it keeps bugs off the window!
Attached Thumbnails
horse.JPG  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

Name: Windy
Trailer: Burro
California
Thank you very much for the info! It's exactly what I needed.
Winster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro