How to Remove Propane Tank? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Too bad I have a bunch of regular bottles, I would like to have an excuse to buy a lighter bottle.

Those small aluminum bottles are very nice and feather light. Ice sailed on a few boats that only carried one of those for cooking. And I'm sure you have seen those refill adapters for the single use bottles. I got out of the habit of using the non-refillable tanks years ago because of the cost.

Like you I have many 20 lb bottles. I also have two 30's painted over with dates that can't be read, and had a few others with the old style valve.

I tossed out the old ones which turned out to be a mistake.

I swapped all my small bottles for new ones. Home Depot and Lowes will take these in exchange for new bottles, just to get your business. Of course now that I have new bottles I will take them somewhere I can get them filled up instead if short filled. In fact I took all of these "filled" bottles and topped them off. I just wish I'd swapped the few old ones I had instead of tossing them, then again I have so many it is not an issue.

Now I find myself wishing I had a few 100 lb bottles to mount on my utility trailer and one 6 lb aluminum tank, I sometimes car camp in my Volvo, and a means of refilling the small one.

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
Name: Darral
Trailer: 2010 13' Scamp
Removing Propane tank

I removed my propane tank from my 13' Scamp last year. It's very simple by removing the two tie-down straps held on with bolts & nuts. You will need to also remove the safety device that's mounted to the frame...or at least mine was mounted to the frame. Then you will want to remove the hose (unscrew it) from the Scamp's body. You can buy a "cap" at a local hardware store like Lowes/Home Depot to put on the open connector on the Scamp.

Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
What I want to do is center the one tank that will be left. Is that easy to do also?
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #18
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
What I want to do is center the one tank that will be left. Is that easy to do also?
The scamp single tank holders are just two metal straps that bolt down to the base the tank sits on. May find holes already there, if not then a few minutes with a drill will probably be all that is needed to drill the two bolt holes that pull the straps down to the base.

Easy peasy
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #19
Name: Darral
Trailer: 2010 13' Scamp
Scamps Propane tank mount on Tongue

As I was explaining, I have completely removed my propane tank. I'm all "electric" which is the way I prefer to camp. But here is a photo I found that I had taken showing where my single 20lb tank was mounted. There IS some extra bracing there for it to sit on along with some small tabs weld there to help keep the tank from shifting around. Otherwise, the straps that have already been mentioned hooks on the tank and holes drilled through the support angles you see there in between the tongue have apx 3/16" holes drilled for 10-32 screws (I would go 1/4" and 1/4-20 bolts/nylock nuts).

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by Gilda View Post

Darral is offline   Reply With Quote