How to replace extender jacks in Scamp with scissor jacks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Name: Nanette
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16ft
WI
How to replace extender jacks in Scamp with scissor jacks

Hi, I'm Nanette. We want to replace the extender jacks on our 2013 Scamp, 16ft, with scissor jacks. Where can these jacks be purchased and how to install them would be helpful. Thank you.
Nanette Del Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You might want to consider BAL stabilizers. More stable and more compact when folded up, but pricier. Scissors jacks can often be purchased cheaply from auto junkyards.

Name:   BAL stabilizers.png
Views: 298
Size:  44.2 KB

Either way, you'll probably need to have mounting brackets welded to the frame rails under the rear of the cabin.

For myself, I've been very happy with the factory Atwood stabilizers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanette Del Monaco View Post
Hi, I'm Nanette. We want to replace the extender jacks on our 2013 Scamp, 16ft, with scissor jacks. Where can these jacks be purchased and how to install them would be helpful. Thank you.
Scamp is now using BAL Stabilizer jacks as shown in Post#2.
I have BAL Stabilizers which come with an adjustable frame crossmember.
IMO this type is superior to scissors jacks and they tuck away better.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I *hate* those friction atwood things, our casita had them. the bal screw down stabilizers are so much nicer. i just use the hand crank, it only takes a couple minutes to screw down all 4 of them.... I have seen folks use a battery drill-driver in low gear mode, with a socket on an extension for the same sorts of stabilizers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I got rid of those Atwood drop-down stabilizers as well. I can't say that I really ever liked them, but I tolerated them for many years. I recently installed 4 BAL scissor jacks on my trailer and they are a vast improvement. I cut and ground off the old Atwood stabilizers and welded 4 new 1/4" thick "pre-drilled" mounting plates to the bottom of the main frame rails of the trailer to mount the BAL jacks to with stainless steel nuts and bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
rearjack.JPG   frontjackstep.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Consider how much weight you want to support. Scissor jacks have more capacity than BAL stabilizers. BAL stabilizers fold up more compactly. Divide the loaded weight of your unit by 2. This should be the capacity of each jack.

Consider placement. Divide the length of you unit by 4. This is the distance you should place the jacks from the ends of the unit.
Consider attachment. The frame of your unit may not be designed for the jacks you are installing. Consider angle iron or square tubing to distribute the load over the frame so as not to crush or distort it at the point of attachment.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Consider how much weight you want to support. Scissor jacks have more capacity than BAL stabilizers. BAL stabilizers fold up more compactly. Divide the loaded weight of your unit by 2. This should be the capacity of each jack.

Consider placement. Divide the length of you unit by 4. This is the distance you should place the jacks from the ends of the unit.
Consider attachment. The frame of your unit may not be designed for the jacks you are installing. Consider angle iron or square tubing to distribute the load over the frame so as not to crush or distort it at the point of attachment.
hmmm? stabilizer jacks don't support the full weight of the trailer, they only just lift it off its springs just enough that it doesn't bounce when you walk around inside.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hmmm? stabilizer jacks don't support the full weight of the trailer, they only just lift it off its springs just enough that it doesn't bounce when you walk around inside.

They don't even do that. They just prevent the springs from compressing when you walk around, preventing rocking. Not intended to lift anything.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

Washington
Registry
Scissor Jacks are much stronger than "stabilizers."

I can lift my trailer off the ground with mine. Handy if you need to change a wheel, in addition to use as stabilizers. In fact, one of my jacks can lift the weight of my entire trailer almost twice. Each is rated for 7,500 Lbs., and my trailer is just shy of 4K Lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Produ.../dp/B000GASYCA

BAL 24" 7,500lb Deluxe Scissor Jack - 2 Pack - Scissor - Stabilizer & Leveling Jacks - Jacks & Levelers
Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #10

Alberta
I totally agree Greg. I boondock a lot. Not much level ground where I camp. I use my scissor jacks to level my trailer so the fridge works properly and doors don't swing on their own etc.
When I park my unit for the winter I use the jacks to lift my wheels almost completely off the ground. Better for the suspension and tires.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Stabilizers are normally placed near the corners of the trailer. Lifting is best done near the axle, as that's where the weight of the trailer is carried on the highway, and the frame is strongest there. Some lightweight frames may not do too well with the twisting produced by jacking at the corners. It depends on the specific trailer, but the OP asked about a Scamp. The rear frame of a Scamp is quite flexible, so I could see it being a problem.

Some have mounted lifting jacks/stabilizers closer to the axle, as in Casita Greg's photo, which reduces the twisting effect. Unlike a Scamp, however, Greg's Casita 17 has continuous main frame rails from front to back. A Scamp has a separate raised rear section (with no cross-bracing) and a cutaway for the door.

For me all lifting is done at home, where a small hydraulic floor jack makes short work of it. The scissors jack from the tow vehicle will serve for the rare possibility of a flat tire on the road. For storage I lift and support the frame on jack stands near the axle.

Whether at home or camping, stabilizers just stabilize. My Atwoods deploy in seconds, not minutes, no tool required.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

Alberta
Agreed
Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Agreed

Agree with what?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Replacing Stablizer Jacks

Replaced the stabilizer jacks on my Casita. Took an angle grinder and cut off the existing jacks,(they were welded on). Then I got two, two and one half inch pieces of angle iron and bolted them to the frame. Then I bolted the scissors jacks to the angle iron. They work great, I use a battery operated drill to raise and lower them.

Fairly easy to do with a little creativity.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Stabilizers are normally placed near the corners of the trailer. Lifting is best done near the axle, as that's where the weight of the trailer is carried on the highway, and the frame is strongest there. Some lightweight frames may not do too well with the twisting produced by jacking at the corners. It depends on the specific trailer, but the OP asked about a Scamp. The rear frame of a Scamp is quite flexible, so I could see it being a problem.

Some have mounted lifting jacks/stabilizers closer to the axle, as in Casita Greg's photo, which reduces the twisting effect. Unlike a Scamp, however, Greg's Casita 17 has continuous main frame rails from front to back. A Scamp has a separate raised rear section (with no cross-bracing) and a cutaway for the door.

For me all lifting is done at home, where a small hydraulic floor jack makes short work of it. The scissors jack from the tow vehicle will serve for the rare possibility of a flat tire on the road. For storage I lift and support the frame on jack stands near the axle.

Whether at home or camping, stabilizers just stabilize. My Atwoods deploy in seconds, not minutes, no tool required.
BAL makes a crossmember design stabilizer which is plenty strong enough to act as a jack on a Scamp13, especially if it is placed about halfway between the gray tank and the rear bumper. The frame rails are boxed tubing and the aforementioned additional crossmember prevents what little flex might be induced.

Mine has been used for many years for both service jacks and as stabilizers. They do the job without flexing the frame.
There are many situations as well where it might be wise to deploy the stabilizers (of whatever type) as a supplement when using a service jack.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
The BAL stabilizers on my Escape are labeled specifically NOT to try and lift the trailer with them... I think they are desiigned for max 1000 lbs load each.

which model is suitable to use as a actual jack, like for tire changes ??
Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #17

Quote:
The BAL stabilizers on my Escape are labeled specifically NOT to try and lift the trailer with them... I think they are desiigned for max 1000 lbs load each.

You want to position a jack for a tire change on the frame, near the axle. You want stabilizers positioned near the corners of the trailer.
So, a stabilizer is not a jack and a jack is not a stabilizer.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #18

Alberta
A stabilizer has a lower capacity and is intended to make the trailer more stable as the suspension will flex when you walk around inside the unit. A jack serves this purpose but usually has a larger capacity so that you can also lift your unit if you wish.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #19

Washington
Registry
Quote:

Go back up to Post #9 and click on the links I included in the post.
Greg
Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #20

Registry
Take a look at the link below. Notice that the static load capacity is listed as 2000 pounds per individual jack. When installed on a Scamp13 each jack is subjected to barely over one third of the rated load and barely less than half of the rating of the whole axle. Each jack is rated to support more than the entire weight of the loaded trailer.
This is massive overkill for a Scamp13, and way more than enough to act as a service jack in this application. Certainly NOT when installed on a forty foot fifthwheel with four slideouts. Note: one Scamp13 equals roughly one slideout!

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-2...-p/15-0308.htm

Tags
scamp