How to Sew Tire Covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
How to Sew Tire Covers

Hello everyone! I have made a few spare tire covers and have yet to make two tire covers to protect the tires from sun damage. Although I am an accomplished "sewer" (non-gender name for seamstress/tailor) I appreciate patterns and good instructions and I thought you would too! Check out this video.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make...er-or-RV-Video
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg   fgrvplate.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Actually what you are making are spare tire covers. It is the rubber part that needs protecting.

Custom tire covers traditionally are created by an upholster as is much of the rest of the sewing projects in vehicle be it a car, limo, motorhome, travel trailer or a boat. An upholster does the sewing of many various types of functional pieces. It would not be unusual for them to make curtains and drapes to go along with cushions for seating, awnings, various types of protective covers (including those tire covers), storage bags, etc. Of course there is some overlap on some of these task which are sometimes also done by a canvas maker. Both of those trades have people who are sewers but of course sometimes they are doing work that does not involve the sewing machine.

I love the Sailrite youtube channel. There are many useful lessons to be learned on it. But I did teach them an easier way to install a zipper on a curve. It will eventually show up in a video.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I stand corrected by two FGRV forum members and have made the changes in my copy. Originally, and in the title, I wrote "wheel cover" instead of "tire cover" and "sewist" instead of "sewer". Thank you for reading, and correcting, my post.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Gilda,
Might I suggest Seamster rather than Sewer? Another non-gender word for one who sews.

I'm afraid "sewer" looks to me like where Jackie Gleason's buddy, Ed Norton, used to work. (Was it Ed Norton? Oh, this brain!)

A few years ago, while Paul was still working, I put up a sign on the corner: "Sewing. No project too small." A neighbor called and said, "I didn't know you were a lawyer!" (I think she was serious.)

I'd love to make some tire covers/wheel covers like yours one of these days.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
And we digress on what could have been a worthwhile thread.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I went to a wrecker and got a hard spare tire cover from a Honda CRV. Repainted it and added a maple leaf decal. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180508_194210.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	119121
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote