Huevo Ranchero - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1981 Scamp "Huevo Ranchero"
Virginia
Huevo Ranchero

Started stripping Huevo today. Sounds kinda indecent. Anyway, took all the carpet out and scraped the residue. It was damp. Driving it home in the rain yesterday (including the trip from Alabama in that epic storm) caused that, I think, because I don't see much in the way of rot, as would be the case if it had been damp for long.

The original owner ran lots of wires for dual ac/dc systems: lights, a vent fan, a fridge.

BTW, is this an original fridge unit?

The reason I ask is that there is no vent behind it as I've seen in other installations. It's an AC/DC unit.

I'm ripping it out, as I am ripping out most of the systems. My vision is a tent on wheels, a pop-up that never needs popping. Just about all we'll do inside is sleep. If I get crazy with the engineering, it will likely be to install air conditioning.

I'll post some more pics in a minute.

v/r,

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
2011 04 16 Huevo Ranchero Comes Home 069.jpg   2011 04 16 Huevo Ranchero Comes Home 070.jpg  

Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Virginia
Speaking of systems

Here's the old and the new.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 04 16 Huevo Ranchero Comes Home 087.jpg  

Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Virginia
Last call before I start scraping

I've been reading all the threads on Ensolite. They all recommend painting over removal. However, if you see mine, you'll see that some thoughtful individual has already ripped off all the "skin."

Soooooooo....I can't paint that, right?

Or can I? I did read that it is closed cell foam. Maybe painting it will give it a new skin? Anybody try that? I looked and looked but saw no thread discussing this option. Maybe I will play mad scientist tonight.

BTW--This is probably heresy coming from a Scamp owner, but the '76 Trillium I looked at previously appeared to have a higher-quality interior insulation coating.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 04 16 Huevo Ranchero Comes Home 041.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Go, Rick, Go! Good job! I love a person who just gets in there and does it! We've had our camper 2 seasons, and we are in the midst of doing what you are. I've found I want it more for sleeping/bad weather, so we have removed the fridge, stove, furnace. I like cooking outside---made a "camp kitchen" last year. I DO have A/C---can't sleep when I'm hot!

Have fun, I'll be watching your progress!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have no useful answers for you, but lots of hooray-for-pictures!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #6

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Hi -- I can't imagine being able to separate the vinyl ensolite coating from the foam in such a tidy way. I wonder if some previous folks removed it all, then re-applied the closest thing they could find: plain foam?

Congrats on your new project, by the way : )

-- Jess
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
No, it's ready for paint! It came from the ensolite factory that way. No vinyl skin. Ensolite with vinyl skin is no longer made. Please see this very cool album before you start ripping it out. After looking, then you decide to go ahead and do it... at least you'll have more knowledge first: Picasa Web Albums - Brady and Jenny's... - BOLER#
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Oh man, I hope it's not too late!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #9

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
E-Gad! I was just cheering Rick on for his enthusiasm and first steps---not to rip his wall covering off! I hope he hasn't become the "mad scientist"!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #10

Virginia
Too late

I tried an experiment by painting a small section with some Kilz---Didn't look like it was going to take very well. Started scraping. I've taken out about a 2 x 2 section. Maybe I should stop, eh? I'll look at my experimental patch tomorrow.

Thanks for chiming in!

v/r,

Rick
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #11

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi!
Keep the fridge! We find it perfect for storing our dishes and pots and pans! Much easier than ripping it out.
Marjie
Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #12

Virginia
This stuff must be an alternate type of foam. The skin has definitely been ripped off; I know that because I find sections of it remaining behind cabinets, etc. The skin in this case is a flimsy vinyl-like substance that does indeed peel neatly away from the foam backing.

Judging from the section I test-painted yesterday, the foam backing is not closed-cell. It wanted to wick the paint right up. I don't think there's any way I'm going to get a neat job painting over this stuff, so it's coming off. I'm just going to paint the bare fiberglass for now.

Marjie: If the trailer wasn't such a gut job to begin with, what you say would make perfect sense. As things stand, removing the fridge will be one of the least difficult parts of the project.

I priced a new axle at $400 to $600 installed at my local iron works. Oy.

v/r,

Rick
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #13

Virginia
Some progress pics, but first...

Kind of a neat memento from the original owner. It's a phrase he copied from somewhere, but I don't know where. Google can't find it. If you can't make it out, it says, "What I once had is gone and will not be again until I make it of myself."

I like it.

I also found a card indicating he was a VFW member.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 04 21 Huevo Ranchero Progress What I Once Had.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #14

Virginia
Stripped interior

Forward and rear views. I used a knock-off of a Fein tool (Harbor Freight-type) to do the bulk of the scraping, then I hit it with a wire brush. Came out pretty smooth. I've got a section of the rear primed (no pictures yet), and it looks pretty good.

BTW--I am really glad I went ahead and stripped the old foam. It was nasty and covering a major ant infestation.

I'm splurging on the paint--using the same stuff I put on the deck of my boat. Interlux Brightsides one-part urethane. Probably overkill for an interior application, but I had some laying around.

I was thinking of painting the sectional fiberglass pieces with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. I've had great results using that on household items. My only concern here is that it might not withstand the flexing it will likely receive onboard a trailer. Has anyone tried it already?
Attached Thumbnails
2011 04 21 Huevo Ranchero Progress Forward Interior.jpg   2011 04 21 Huevo Ranchero Progress Rear Interior.jpg