hull liner! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #57
Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
This thread has really got my brain wheels turning. (A dangerous thing!)

I ordered some samples of the hull liner from "SAILRITE" when this thread first started and I received them today. This material seems really good, not too hard to work with and it does stretch but doesn't stretch back. Looks like it would form well around corners and a butt seam would really be hard to detect. The pictures that Thom posted about what he did to his van were awesome!

That being said, the ensolite in my Trillium has come lose in several places, has been painted very poorly by a PO and the plastic seam strips were really yellowed, cracked, missing, damaged and I removed the remainder and threw them away.

I am really seriously considering reattaching the ensolite, gluing reflectix on top of that, taping the seams and gluing hull liner in the "sand" color on top off that.

It would keep me from buying new seam strip, painting the ensolite and plus the added thickness would give me a lot more R value.

Am I completely insane or do all y'all think it would work?

Like I really need to ask with this group, but, any and all comments about my scheme would be greatly appreciated.

Trilliums Rock!
Spanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #58
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
how cari & i worked with the reflectix in our van...

When it came to seams on the 24" or 48" wide rolls of reflectix (we used both) we then taped the seams with these two types of tape. I don't really remember how or why we got on to them but i'm thinking it was from a DIY project over at Expedition Portal(?).

3M 433 Aluminum Foil Tape
(very strong adhesion, but tears easily)

Mylar Tape
(very strong adhesion and will stretch quite a bit before tearing)

The idea is you are looking for a tape that has an adhesive which will withstand the temperature fluctuations that might happen when insulating a van/rv/trailer etc.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #59
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, the punch line?
I think we heard it already!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #60
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
We're here, just slow!

It appears to be a sandwich of vinyl over thin urethane foam over reflectix - at least in mine, but I have their 2009 winterized model, so I am not sure how that compares with current production.

Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I looked at the Escape specs, and it turns out that the wallcovering is "insulated vinyl ".

Sounds washable- I like it!

I'm surprised nobody else knew that, though...

Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #61
Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
hey Spanke glad this thread got your gears going ! the only problems i can see with putting stuff over the vinyl is head room ... at some spots i can just stand straight in my 77 boler . and if i didn't strip off the vynel than ide have even less head room ...
oh and another thing. I was looking at the old vinyl in mine and i got to thinking .. if i was careful enough when taking it off the walls i could use the pieces as templates for when i go to cut my hull liner .. something to think about ! im glad some other people out there and thinking about this hull liner stuff .. i was nervous about taking the plunge and riping off the vinyl off and than not being able to get the hull liner to work .. so im glad other people are with me on this ! when we are done we all have to post the fished results here !

farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #62
Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana

I really don't want to remove the ensolite since it is probably 95% attached and it does provide some insulating value. I'm not too worried about the added depth. I must not be as tall as you, I still have room to spare when I stand!

Trilliums Rock!
Spanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #63
Name: Scott
Trailer: 1972 12' fiberglass Jayco
getting glue and foam off the wall

Hi everybody, I'm just started to tear the old headliner off. As I did this I notice all the old glue and foam still stuck to the wall. Any suggestions on how to efficiently remove this stuff, so I can glue the new headliner on a clean surface?
Scott Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #64
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I haven't stripped headliner on massive areas. But the areas I have cleaned I used a wire brush to remove the dry glue and such (no foam in my case) and then used generous helpings of acetone to clean the surface. I have not put new headliner in areas I've cleaned, but have done fiberglass modifications and the new resin has stuck well, so the surface must have been cleaned ok.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #65
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
I hear that a wire brush on a drill makes it easier. I have almost given up trying to remove the Ensolite in one piece.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #66
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I had to strip foam underlay from concrete floor. I tried the wire brush and drill. The wire brush quickly filled up with material. I ended up using a belt sander.
Not recommending that either, at least on fibreglass.
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
Commercial Member
Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
I have used a flat edge blade on my oscillating multi-tool to peel off insulation and glue. Tedious work but ultimately easier than the wire brush method IMO...
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #68
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We stripped all the Ensolite out of our Surfside and used a DiCo Nyalox wire-brush-like tool to get the foam off. Still a long job, but, even after stripping the entire inside surface of our trailer, the brush is still in good shape and usable on other projects.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote