hull liner! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #61

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
hey Spanke glad this thread got your gears going ! the only problems i can see with putting stuff over the vinyl is head room ... at some spots i can just stand straight in my 77 boler . and if i didn't strip off the vynel than ide have even less head room ...
oh and another thing. I was looking at the old vinyl in mine and i got to thinking .. if i was careful enough when taking it off the walls i could use the pieces as templates for when i go to cut my hull liner .. something to think about ! im glad some other people out there and thinking about this hull liner stuff .. i was nervous about taking the plunge and riping off the vinyl off and than not being able to get the hull liner to work .. so im glad other people are with me on this ! when we are done we all have to post the fished results here !

Farmer
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #62

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Tim

I really don't want to remove the ensolite since it is probably 95% attached and it does provide some insulating value. I'm not too worried about the added depth. I must not be as tall as you, I still have room to spare when I stand!

Spanke
Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #63

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1972 12' fiberglass Jayco
Montana
getting glue and foam off the wall

Hi everybody, I'm just started to tear the old headliner off. As I did this I notice all the old glue and foam still stuck to the wall. Any suggestions on how to efficiently remove this stuff, so I can glue the new headliner on a clean surface?
Scott Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #64

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I haven't stripped headliner on massive areas. But the areas I have cleaned I used a wire brush to remove the dry glue and such (no foam in my case) and then used generous helpings of acetone to clean the surface. I have not put new headliner in areas I've cleaned, but have done fiberglass modifications and the new resin has stuck well, so the surface must have been cleaned ok.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I hear that a wire brush on a drill makes it easier. I have almost given up trying to remove the Ensolite in one piece.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #66

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had to strip foam underlay from concrete floor. I tried the wire brush and drill. The wire brush quickly filled up with material. I ended up using a belt sander.
Not recommending that either, at least on fibreglass.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #67
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I have used a flat edge blade on my oscillating multi-tool to peel off insulation and glue. Tedious work but ultimately easier than the wire brush method IMO...
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #68

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We stripped all the Ensolite out of our Surfside and used a DiCo Nyalox wire-brush-like tool to get the foam off. Still a long job, but, even after stripping the entire inside surface of our trailer, the brush is still in good shape and usable on other projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Dico-541-782-4...4297606&sr=1-3
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote