hull liner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
hull liner!

hey guys and gals just a question about hull liner . I know some of you have used it on the walls to replace rat fur and what not . from what i can see from photos it looks really sharp . ide love to do it on my 77 boler but before i get too deep and rip off that foam vinyl junk that is there now i have just one question .. how in the hell do you get it to forum around the rounded corners of the trailer .. i know window tinters use a heat gun to forum there tint to make it the same curved shape of say a back window of a car…. does one have to do something like that to make it fit and to get rid of wrinkles ?? i cant figure it out thx guys
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Very interesting in replacing my rat fur, so I'm curious.

I do hope to leave my reflectix in place. So something that will cover that smoothly.

Do you have a link for hull liner?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
canada n.s
naaaa I was thinking that if i knew I could do it ide just go to the city and pick some up
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

British Columbia
Gotcha. I'm sure there's enough marine activity around Vancouver there's surely some around here too. But wouldn't mind seeing what options are out there. I can google....
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You may want to check with Robert Johans of the Egg Plant: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post327292
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #6

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

My wife and i insulated our van. Here is the reflectix before we covered it with hull-liner fabric we ordered from a local marine store:

And here is a shot after applying the hull liner to the reflectix with 3M77 spray adhesive:

My wife did most of the detailing around the windows and curved areas. It really turned out professional. The hull liner is an easy product to work with IMO.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Thom

Looks great!

Did you use the same adhesive to install the reflectix as the hull liner?

Also, where you had to install with seams did the seams hide well?

Thanks

Spanke
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #8

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Hi there, here are two more shots before we put in the bed platform. Yes the 3M77 was used to fix the reflectix to the "Hull" of the van also...2 years of hot/cold and all is still attached (Whew!)...

You can see some of the seam detail. We probably could have really worked them to invisible if we wanted, but even so i think it is a respectable finish for a DIY conversion. Here is a shot going around some bends and curves on the back doors. It can really take on any shape you want:

Thom

PS...When cari and i visited with Pete inside his Parkliner i was surprised to see that Parkliner had used the same hull liner fabric and color we had utilized in our van!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
That's looking great, Thom

Do you have any details on the type of Hull Liner material you're using? A brand name or product model would be great. I'm actually in the middle of a boat refit project myself and that stuff looks perfect.

I tried a google search but got numerous hull lining materials. Are there a lot of darts and cutouts to get it to wrap the window seams, or is it very stretchy?

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This place has it although someone said it can be had cheaper. Also some have bought it from scamp. Raz

Sailrite stocks Marine Interior Fabric, Headliners/Hull Liners
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #11

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings,

On hull liner fabric we used in our project:

M38 Sand Geometric Hulliner 72"
( i saw similar items at the website raz shared )

That is also what i believe to be a near perfect, if not same, fabric used in the Parkliner that i was in (Pete & Linda's).

Yes it is "stretchy". As i've shared, my McGirlver Perfectionist of a Bride did an amazing job. So much so that the Van Specialties crew were WOWed by the interior fit. So a DIYer can really make this stuff look like a pro installed it if they take some time as she did!.. We now know why places like VS will charge what they do to upfit a van...and we told ourselves we'd never do it again! Read DAYS for a husband/wife team that haven't a clue as to what they are doing. But we survived
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #12

British Columbia
That looks really nice! My rat fur looks SO shabby compared to the rest of my remodeled interior.

The ability to stay smooth looks awesome. BUT... The thing is, I really want a non porous surface. I want to be able to wipe my walls clean, not have to shampoo them!

I like the sound of this stuff, but getting a smooth look with it over reflectix and compound curves may be a challenge.

Nauga Soft Vinyl Cream Fabric 54"
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #13

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Hi Dylan, a pondering...
Your Nauga Soft Vinyl looks nice and i do agree with you on the benefits of smooth-wipe-clean surface, how about if you sprayed the refletix with the 3m77, then applied a thin layer of carpet backing foam (don't know what it is called...it is maybe 1/8" or 3/16" thick??), then let that dry, then sprayed the 3m77 over that and applied the vinyl? Maybe having the foam in between them would smooth out the reflectix?

Best wishes on the build.
Thom
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Two questions!

1)
What's the difference between "hull liner" and "rat fur",
and
2) Might one coat either with rubberized swimming pool compound to achieve a waterproof, washable barrier? I got some of that (white) stuff on a pair of Carhartts two years ago and it STILL hasn't washed out, so I'm pretty sure it would bond to these "fabrics"...

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #15

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

On coatings...

What i've read : )
Since if follow (near daily) my long time acquaintances at both Expedition Portal Forum & Sportsmobile Forum i've read through lots of DIY threads/projects.

I remember reading of at least one project that utilized the Grizzly Grip product both inside and outside their rig (might have been a cargo conversion?). Anyway, what i do remember is they used the "Aromatic Polyurethane" version on the interior walls, and the "Aliphatic Polyurethane" version on exterior running boards/fenders. You just roll it on with their special textured rollers and you have a nice washable surface once dry. The Aromatic remained flexible (for interior use) and the Aliphatic became rigid like the typical truck bed liner.

Cari & I will be ordering the "Aliphatic Polyurethane" version and applying a matching coat of black to the exterior running board areas of both van and trailer this spring.

Cheers,
Thom

OH...PS...i remember painting the interior wood framing of our A liner with some fancy marine grade wood preserver...It nearly knocked us out for the next season sleeping inside the rig! Sooo...always research any product such as GG or paint, etc and see if it is toxic/smelly!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Two questions!

1)
What's the difference between "hull liner" and "rat fur",
and
I'm not entirely clear, but this just showed up in another thread and Robert knows his stuff!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post358647

"Farmer,
Hulliner does NOT stretch like "rat fur," so working the corners is tricky. You have to carefully plan out your cuts. I was able to hide a lot of seams behind cabinetry. And where seams are visible, butting two very clean and straight edges together doesn't look too bad.

(BTW, Reflectix as an insulator is more efficient WITHOUT a wall covering over it. So, hidden wall areas are better off uncovered.)
"

So it seems using the hull liner may have the same issues with creases, edges, as the non porous vinyl. Hmmm....

I have a cushion made from some pretty stretchy and soft fake leather. I think it would work, I wonder how this Nauga Soft Vinyl compares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
2) Might one coat either with rubberized swimming pool compound to achieve a waterproof, washable barrier? I got some of that (white) stuff on a pair of Carhartts two years ago and it STILL hasn't washed out, so I'm pretty sure it would bond to these "fabrics"...
Francesca
Coating a porous material like rat full would probably end up darn heavy and I'm dubious that you'd get an attractive finish. I have thought about just gluing a non porous material on top of my rat fur, but I think it's best for "freshness" to remove it entirely. May take most of my reflectix with it however. I think the fur is bonded to the reflectix better than the reflectix is to the walls.

But the little trailer, while always having been a bit stuffy, is smelling a little extra lived in lately. Not bad, but not fresh. Add the fact that it looks old and ratty, the seams were not handled elegantly by the factory and man, I'm ready for new walls and ceiling! I may try using some 1/8" poplar plywood with the right trim to make a ceiling. It's very thin, light and bendable. One side is high quality, stainable, free of knots, etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #17

Registry
Thanks, Dylan...

I've always been a bit dubious about fabric-like walls, mostly due to an apprehension that they're more likely to catch and hold odors. And since I'm one of those that cooks inside all the time- and use some very odiferous ingredients- non porous and washable is the name of my game!

I like being able to literally hose out my Trillium, but I'd like it a lot better if the walls were not just washable, but insulated!

Back to the scheming phases...

Francesca
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
"Farmer,
Hulliner does NOT stretch like "rat fur," so working the corners is tricky. You have to carefully plan out your cuts. I was able to hide a lot of seams behind cabinetry. And where seams are visible, butting two very clean and straight edges together doesn't look too
well I'm confused. Must be different stuff

"HullBlanket Headliner Hull Liner Carpet Type Ivory M93 72” is a beautiful, non-vinyl headliner. Perfect for marine environments, HullBlanket fabric is durable, stain-resistant, mold and mildew resistant, anti-static, and moisture proof. This 100% polypropylene fabric is directional (clear warp and fill orientation) and has a soft, knobby woven look, similar to outdoor carpet.
HullBlanket is easy to work with as it cuts without fraying and is great for use on uneven surfaces because it stretches and contracts during installation. Sews easily with a V-69 thread and #20 needle.
To install, spray 3M General Trim Adhesive on both surfaces.
Width: 72 inches
Weight: 14 oz. per square yard
Thickness: 3/16 inch
Color: Ivory
Sold per linear yard.
HullBlanket Headliner Hull Liner Carpet Type Ivory Features:
Durable - stands up to marine environment
Excellent colorfastness
Easy to cut and fit to desired shape or size
Mold and mildew resistant
Will not fray or unravel
Resists stains and easy to clean
Meets FMVSS 302 requirements
Geometric construction
Shape Conforming "
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #19

Astoria Oregon
Registry
sounds just like the stuff we used too Raz (& linked to)

quote:
Marine Hulliner is a very durable carpet material designed for the inside of boat hulls. It has a Geometric Style Pattern (carpet feel with raised bumps). Can be used for headliners, wall coverings, etc... in Motor homes, RV's, and other applications.

SPECS:
  • Width: 72" Inches Wide
  • Non-backed Needle Punched Carpet
  • Durable: Stands up to the marine environment.
  • Excellent Colorfastness: Resists fading from the Sun's UV Rays.
  • Resists Stains & Soiling: Easily cleaned.
  • Easy to stretch, cut, fit, and mold to desired shape or size.
  • Resist mold & mildew.
  • Will not fray or unravel.
  • ...end quote"
In context of Raz's post i think (& what Raz might have been pointing out) is that this sort of marine grade "Hull Liner" fabric is designed for just what we are asking it to do inside our Eggs. And in the two+ years cari & i have had our hull liner on the walls in the van we have yet to notice any _stuff_ clinging to, or messing up, the fabric. We've not _maintained_ it in any way. Not even brushed it off. Looks nice and clean as the day we installed it. And no smell or anything. Though all we ever do inside as far as "cooking" is boil water.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Registry
Well- now that it's been said twice, I guess we know what "hulliner" is!

But that still leaves the question as to how it differs from whatever it is that's going in to trailers...

What exactly is the "rat fur" everybody seems to have???

Google is no help finding a definition/makeup, or even a site selling that one...?

Francesca