Hunter Compact floor replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Louisiana
Registry
Hunter Compact floor replacement

Hi folks, I am wondering how some of you put in a new floor. Did you glue and clamp the lap joint while the new plywood was in the camper and if so did you also bolt the floor to the frame at that time or wait for the joint to cure first? Or did you glue, clamp and cure the joint before placing the new floor in the camper? I do not want to jepardize the joint. How difficult is it to get it in and under the door frame as a 10 foot piece?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Compact floor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down the Road View Post
Hi folks, I am wondering how some of you put in a new floor. Did you glue and clamp the lap joint while the new plywood was in the camper and if so did you also bolt the floor to the frame at that time or wait for the joint to cure first? Or did you glue, clamp and cure the joint before placing the new floor in the camper? I do not want to jepardize the joint. How difficult is it to get it in and under the door frame as a 10 foot piece?
I think if you search this forum a man named Larry from Qunicy,Wa did a complete frame off restoration on a Compact Jr. He had many pictures.
chuck

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down the Road View Post
Hi folks, I am wondering how some of you put in a new floor. Did you glue and clamp the lap joint ...
I did not make a lap joint; I added a wood block underneath bridging the seam between the floor pieces as if it were a floor joist and screwed the pieces into it. I assembled the floor inside the body, bolting each section to the frame as I went, starting at the entry door.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I did a partial floor repair in a Scamp. The flooring was 5/8 plywood.
I joined the plywood with a lap joint. I used Gorilla glue which also acts as a filler when it cures with it's foaming action. I then used 5/8" long wood screws to hold the joint during curing. You may want to lay down wax paper or suran wrap under the joint to keep the gorilla glue from bonding to the camper floor. I am faced with the same repair you are currently doing in a Mini Rover (East Coast Trails West) I am working on.
Eddie
Old 11-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
I used a 1/2" MDO plywood with a 1" lap joint on our Surfside, and thought it worked very well. Easy to do, very strong.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #6

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Louisiana
Registry
1971 Compact floor replacement

Thank you for the replies. Good tips that I will use. Yesterday I made a clamp for the top and bottom of the floor joint, bolted the floor to the frame and assured everything fit just right in preparation for gluing next weekend. More later.