Hunter Compact II - Renovate or Wait for Different Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New Jersey
Hunter Compact II - Renovate or Wait for Different Trailer

Hi All,

I just purchased the Compact II in the attached picture. It is all original and very well cared for by the previous owner, all the vinyl quilting is in very good shape, no moisture or damage to speak of. I will preface everything below but stating we are stoked to have landed an awesome little camper which we can tow with our jetta tdi. It will be great for my my wife, toddler and I for now. All we plan on doing to it is painting the cabinets and replacing the curtains.

However, as our son/family grows a different interior arrangement would be needed.

I would like to eventually get rid of the toilet, fridge and related cabinetry on the right/passenger side of the camper and replace it with a bunk setup similar to Skyehunter's at the link below. Although, I would look to do a convertible couch/piano hinge bunk set up and replace the fridge vent with a window.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ild-64698.html

It seems like gutted trailers or ones with beat interiors are going for nearly $1000-2000 these days and ones in similar shape to mine $4000+. I'd hate to throw out and gut $2000+ of value in a nice trailer. Am I over estimating the value I'd be throwing out? Is the real value in the solid water-tight shell?

I hate to be 'wasteful' and I am tempted to keep it as is. Then wait for a compact ii or jr watertight shell to renovate and sell the current trailer to someone who will appreciate its original form when that time comes.

However is that realistic, given the challenges of trailer hunting in the Northeast? Also, there is the consideration that a gutted/need-to-be gutted trailer might come with a host of other problems. Am I asking for more trouble than its worth by seeking a different trailer since I landed a gem?

Thoughts?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
hunter 1.jpg  
junglejim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I think you should finish the summer and fall using it as is and decide then what changes you may need.
I wouldn't scrap the toilet though....a few walks at night and early morning may convince you of that.
Nice looking camper.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I agree- use it for awhile, decide if you need more space, and in the meantime look at some of the threads on complete rebuilds so you get a good idea how much would need to be done. In the meantime maybe you'll find one that is a shell. I agree- you could probably go cheaper if you find one requiring a rebuild vs. one that is usable now.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #4

New Jersey
thanks for the feedback guys. we are definitely gonna maximize the trailer as is for now and just do some basic updates since everything is so solid.

Bruce, if we did eventually remove the toilet we wouldn't go totally without one. i would go with one of those sealand low profile toilets or sanipotti stored hidden under the bench/bunk. But that might be a project for a different trailer.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Just thinking out loud Jim...I'm glad you finally got a fiberglass rv. Enjoy your trial run!
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Concerning a redo/retrofit.

REMEMBER trailers are no different than any other project. They come apart REALLY EASY and always go back together REALLY SLOW over a LONG period of time. That's why there are so many "Gutted" fiberglass trailers out there. Most never find the time or money to put it back together!!

Do not do anything to your trailer until you and you family have made the "concrete in stone decision" to put it back together. That means budgeting the time and money to put it back together. I have had many people over the years ask me when am I going to start restoring that old car that's been sitting in the garage for so long. My answer is when I decide I am ready to finish the restoration!

Half finished projects NEVER bring half price when you want to sell.

I agree with what others have said that you enjoy the trailer AS IS.

Instead of doing nothing now why not continue to casually shop for your next trailer that will meet your future needs as you have outlined. Your future "perfect" trailer will be much easier to find when you don't need one and are not really looking all that hard!

You will find this approach sure beats the hell out of going out to garage to work on that damn trailer you took apart and now can never find the time or money to finish putting it back together!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

New Jersey
Mike, You are definitely right one the time to brake something down vs. fix it, especially part-time.

Also, it would be more enjoyable to have a side renovation project and a usable fully functioning trailer too. It would make the project way less stressful and allow me to wait for a real deal to show up rather than force the issue.

I wouldn't mind having a non-pop top to rent out to people here and there to cover the cost of the renovation/hobby and lend to family (but I don't think I could trust people to not destroy the fabric in the compact ii raising the top up and down). I know I am getting ahead of myself here with my 30' x 30' mosquito-ridden back yard but I am a glutton for punishment.

The compact ii is really fantastic though. Once I have the newly painted cabinets/drawers reinstalled with the lights and curtains I will get some pictures up. Thanks again for the input guys.