I am a BAD Mommy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #29

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Joe, I keep coming across references to a Consumer Products Safety Commission recommendation of 1 square inch of opening for every 1000 BTUs of ventless heater output, with half of that opening located low in the space being heated, the other half high. This recommendation seems to apply to all combustion-type ventless space heaters -- catalytic heaters, radiant/ceramic heaters, and open flame heaters -- whether they run on natural gas, propane, or kerosene.

We accomplish this by cracking the window over the heater by about 1/4" (creating about 2 square inches of opening) and the vent over our bed by a tad (creating an opening that's even larger). Point is we greatly exceed this recommendation.

Safety margins are a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
peterh
I have the older wave 6 without the ODS sensor and really like..... I keep it on the floor in front of the bathroon with a hose running to an outside tank. I get temped to sleep with it also ( by myself of course so not to put anyone else in danger) being the heater is on the floor and i open the bathroom window which of course is above the heater and the roof vent opened some is that still safe like that in your opinion?______ The link i gave above for this heater shows 24 square inches of open window space ( but not sure if they mean the Wave 3, 6 or 9) and not sure how much is enough?____.
You seem to really know your stuff in this area and any info would be helpful.
Thnx,
Joe

Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Thanks Peter..... I always look forward to reading your posts. Always very thorough.
Have a great weekend.
Joe

Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very important and practical risk of using an unvented heater in an enclosed space. Carbon monoxide has an affinity for hemoglobin that is 200 times that of oxygen. What that means is carbon monoxide will accumulate in a person when the concentration is greater than roughly 0.1%. Once approximately 30% of your hemoglobin is combined with carbon monoxide, you are not likely to be able to save yourself by getting out of the trailer due to lethargy, confusion and impending coma. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless and you won't have any idea what is happening. There is no struggle or discomfort. Once carbon monoxide is taken in, it is difficult to get out. Breathing fresh air will remove half of it in 4-5 hours. Breathing 100% oxygen will remove half in a little less than hour. High altitude compounds the risk and more than a few mountain climbers have died in tents from carbon monoxide poisoning. So be careful with those unvented heaters!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #32

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
I have a carbon monoxide/fire alarm in my trailer for just that reason.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
... Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless and you won't have any idea what is happening. There is no struggle or discomfort...
Sounds like a relatively good way to go. I'll have to remember it, if I ever have an incurable and painful illness.

All the talk about altitude reminds me of the time we rented a U-Haul egg (mid 1980s) in Michigan and headed for Arizona. It was mid-April. Up the road (literally UP) west of Colorado Springs, the altitude prevented the little heater from working. 2 adults and 2 kids huddled into the back bed for a cold night, below 20 degrees and a nice blanket of fresh snow. Back down to the city in the morning to have it looked at... and it fired right up, nothing wrong. Next night at higher altitude, again no heat. Back down the mountain, the uhaul dealer figures out that the spark gap needed to be set differently for the thin air. By that time we were fed up. Instead of continuing to Arizona to see my dad, we headed home. Despite the problems I have fond memories... something to laugh about now.

I've been using a Coleman Black Cat for the last 2-3 years. It can run at 1500 or 3000 BTU, but only at the lower setting can it last all night on a little bottle. No problems using it at 8000 feet last June in Utah, with windows cracked open of course, and being portable it's easy to point it at the bed. But I still would rather have something with a thermostat and a line to the 20 lb. tank.

Gina, wish I could pet your dog. So lovable looking! Reminds me of the dog I had when growing up, a Beagle named Trixie.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #34

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Good story

SO glad your furry kids made it. That was close. Don't YOU feel guilty, stuff happens.

I remember on a 'tiny house' website seeing a tiny little wood stove. I ofter wonder if something like that would be practical for an egg.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I remember on a 'tiny house' website seeing a tiny little wood stove. I ofter wonder if something like that would be practical for an egg.
It's been done in an egg Roger. The Pine Cone's almost done!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #36

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's been done in an egg Roger. The Pine Cone's almost done!
As far as I can tell that never got put in, it was in the plans but didn't happen.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #37

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Here are Marine woodstoves, built for boats.

SARDINE STOVE INFO & SPECS.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #38

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Bobbie, I have had that site bookmarked for years. I love those tiny stoves even if they are to pricey for my wallet.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #39

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
As far as I can tell that never got put in, it was in the plans but didn't happen.
We may never know now. cjlindsey sold the PineCone late last fall and as far as I know the new owners haven't joined ANY forum. Too bad, it would be interesting to find out if it was done and how it's working out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #40

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Dickinson heater

THIS is the wood stove I was thinking of :

DickinsonMarine.com - Diesel Heaters

See the 7th item down.

3000-8000 BTU looks like it fits our requirements.

Dickinson also make kerosene and propane heaters if that floats your boat.

(A little seafaring humor there)

Boating equipment is first rate, better than RV by far. Of course also more expensive $$$$ also zero clearance, bulkhead mounted.

A note for Gina: Get a red tag, label it "Heater", and hang it on the door knob where you can't miss it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #41

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
the problem with tags is that they fall into the background chatter after awhile. Its just another thing right in front of your face you don't see.

The thermostat on the Blue Flame has done its job. I left it on once a couple weeks ago. I came home to find only the pilot silently running and the heater not producing sweltering beagle burning heat. That was worth the price.. think I will keep it.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #42

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
I came home to find only the pilot silently running and the heater not producing sweltering beagle burning heat. That was worth the price.. think I will keep it.
Gina, you mentioned in an earlier post that there was only a small amount of condensation from the heater -- just a thin mist on the windows.

Is that still your experience after using it for a while -- that the level of condensation is small and easy to deal with?