I am in the process of modifying a 1975 Trillium 1300 and could use some assistnce - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
David and Victor..
I like your suggestions and ideas - as my ensolite is intact and the number of "attachements" required is minimal and this sounds like too much of a task for the results desired ;-)

Roger..
Unfortunately I am unable to openn the link that you shared.. Thanks for your interest though..

Island Claire..
The images you have shared appear to show the aluminum pop-rivited through the fiberglass hull in a nu mber of the images - can you confirm that this isin fact true and if so have you had any leakage issues and can you provide an image of the outside of the shell where these pop-rivets went through so that I can have an idea of how they were sealed..

Thanks for your assistance everyone - I wish I had not waited so long to join the Fiberglass RV Forum ;-)

Chris..

Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #16

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Chris,
I had a look. The rivets do go into the shell, but as they were done at the factory, it appears that they fiberglassed over them on the outside, as there is no sign of them on the outside.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #17

British Columbia
Claire..

Thanks for having a look ;-)

My revised plan of attachemnt - at this moment anyway - is to bolt through the shell and seal it up in a manner similar to how one seals a roof vent in place with butyl putty tape and self leveling Dicor sealant..

I'll take pics along the way so that should someone in the furure ask a similar question to mine I will be able to provide advice on a technique that either worked or didn't work ;-)

Wish me luck ;-)

I have a buddy that is headed to the Living Forest event - who knows we might even meet up and I'll show you teh results of my mod..

Chris..
Old 03-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
None of the rivets in Claire's photos go through the fibreglass. They only join aluminum to aluminum. The part that is pressed against the roof of the trailer is just touching the ensolite, it is not fastened to it. The only place that theses shelves attach are to the window frames, and at the kitchen cupboard, and closet. The front shelf attaches to the kitchen cupboard, window frame, and only one block mounted to the fibreglass near the door.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #19

British Columbia
David..

Thanks for your insight.. My envisioned design has the shelves attached to the kitchen cabinet, the window frames and the closet - now you have me thinking - instead of enhancing the structural strength of these shelves/cupboards by bolting through the ceiling , I could reinforce the structures by attaching angle brackets that attach to the left and right sides of the window frames and the bottom of the shelves/cabinets.. The brackets don't have to be to massive - they just need to be the right size so as to not allow one to hit their head on the as they sit at the table ;-)

Thanks for your input..

Chris..

Tags
trillium