I Did It Again...A Compact Jr. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

And the beat goes on...... It seems like every time I work on it, it's "Well this is hosed, I take that apart...." (just like redoing a car, it keeps getting deeper and deeper-- what a hoot!) Even got some deceased wildlife, evidently. And of course nothing is square, or plumb as a matter of fact. And I have a little dry rot, too (bottom of cabinets-floor is good) Maybe I'll just fab a galley out of stainless steel--betcha that won't deteriorate!!! Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0321__Small_.JPG   SANY0322__Small_.JPG  

SANY0323__Small_.JPG   SANY0324__Small_.JPG  

SANY0320__Small_.JPG  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #22

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
More pictures--- had to take a quick lesson on resizing..... Carrie looks like she is looking to the sky and hoping it will all go back together again..... Have faith my dear.... Larry

OH, also have paper on it now-- it hadn't been licensed in over 7 years, so DOL computer came back with "no record found" So it is registered in my name now and old owner has 3 years to claim it-- (if he exists)

Oooo! Harvest Gold!
Mine has a puke green stove. Probably the fiberglass portions were all harvest gold. The reverse of yours!

Cory
'72 Compact Jr. (which brother Steve is modifying a little more, even this week)
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #23

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Bobbie Mayer,

When was your regulator checked/replaced last?

We had the pulsating problem with our camp lights. We thought it was the nozzles or restricted lines. The propane tech came out to check the fixtures, lines and pressures and it turned out that the pressure regulator was actually causing the pulsing. 1 new regulator and the pulsing lights was gone.
That is probably worth a try; the regulator came with the trailer so is not new. Was your gas stove fine with the old regulator? That was what made me think it was not the lines, but maybe the lamp is just much more sensitive to the gas pressure.

Bobbie

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
That is probably worth a try; the regulator came with the trailer so is not new. Was your gas stove fine with the old regulator? That was what made me think it was not the lines, but maybe the lamp is just much more sensitive to the gas pressure.

Bobbie
Sorry, I should re-explain. "The camp" is deer camp. The propane lights were the only propane fixtures we have ever really operated in several years. Other than to heat water for coffee, I don't think we've used the stove/oven for a bout 10-15 years. The stove never did work right. We upgraded our basement heat from wood to propane last year and had the tech out to do the install and check everything out then. The regulator was just a thought because it sounded exactly like what our lights did before. To bad the tech didn't tell the camp owners that the stove needed to be used more often, I might have been able to get a meal at deer camp without having to eat cold-cuts or driving 15 miles for a hot meal.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey there,
Its great to see your rebuild going so well. I've been enjoying seeing your progress as I have a Compact II, so seeing the similarities between the rigs at such a torn down level is really great. Are you going to have your pop-top canvas completely replaced? If so I'd love to hear all about that, as I think I'm going to have to do something with mine sometime soon. Keep up the good work, and know that there are curious eyes watching you guys! hehe Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #26

Talking

Quote:
Hey there,
Its great to see your rebuild going so well. I've been enjoying seeing your progress as I have a Compact II, so seeing the similarities between the rigs at such a torn down level is really great. Are you going to have your pop-top canvas completely replaced? If so I'd love to hear all about that, as I think I'm going to have to do something with mine sometime soon. Keep up the good work, and know that there are curious eyes watching you guys! hehe Joe
Yep- well-- just got back from my shop.... And tonite.... the right side closet, ice box and that cabinent came out, along with the door frame (it had dry rot on the bottom also).
Yes, am replacing all the canvas (I have a goood upholstry man - Tijuana Tony-he comes up every summer from Mexiho), leaving the screens out. Will put another vent in the roof in the galley area after the pop top is rearched (thanx for the tip Steve Hilby) Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0332__Small_.JPG   SANY0333__Small_.JPG  

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #27

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Quote:
Yep- well-- just got back from my shop.... And tonite.... the right side closet, ice box and that cabinent came out, along with the door frame (it had dry rot on the bottom also).
Yes, am replacing all the canvas (I have a goood upholstry man - Tijuana Tony-he comes up every summer from Mexiho), leaving the screens out. Will put another vent in the roof in the galley area after the pop top is rearched (thanx for the tip Steve Hilby) Larry

Wow You did what I did on my Compact II, competely dissambled. I went a little farther and removed whole floor as the dry rot had set in on the floor and door frame.. I used 2x2 aluminum square tubing for the door frame and to build the furniture. I also used 2 aluminum 2x2s to hold up the roof with a 2x2 truss to span lengthwise each side of the popup. It really opened up the space and allowed for a king size bed setup. See my build progress under "frameless restoration"

Keep up the good work.

PS What year is your Bronco. Mine is a 74 Ranger.
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #28

Talking

Quote:
Wow You did what I did on my Compact II, competely dissambled. I went a little farther and removed whole floor as the dry rot had set in on the floor and door frame.. I used 2x2 aluminum square tubing for the door frame and to build the furniture. I also used 2 aluminum 2x2s to hold up the roof with a 2x2 truss to span lengthwise each side of the popup. It really opened up the space and allowed for a king size bed setup. See my build progress under "frameless restoration"

Keep up the good work.

PS What year is your Bronco. Mine is a 74 Ranger.
Darrel--- luckily, the floor is ok... (one of the few things....) I had thought of using aluminum, but I have a whole pile of 2x4 number 1 clear Douglas Fir from the 1940's.... Now that is wood!!! No knots, and so hard that one cannot drive a nail, everything has to be pre-drilled. So, that should outlast me. Yeah, the original frame is a little weak looking, so I will truss that same as I did my Scamp frame. Going to rebuild the cabinents (with the Doug Fir) pretty much like it was, leaving the fridge/ice box out, building an old fashioned pantry there instead, with the ventilation openings screened into the pantry for cooling.. (ya gotta realize the Pacific Northwest is a lot cooler than NV, and this will be used mostly in the fall for hunting trips---- besides if it is hot, we go to the mountains where it is cool).
Bronco is a 66, on a 72 frame, built SBF, car-type 4 speed... Have never painted it 'cause then I would be afraid to brush it retreiving a downed Elk.... Went back thru your post, and got some more ideas--THANX (oh picture of frame strengthening posted) Larry
Attached Thumbnails
frame_repair_4.jpg  
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #29

Talking

Darrel--- luckily, the floor is ok... (one of the few things....) NOT!!!!!!!! I was inside yesterday and Roger (of Bonnie & Roger in WA--- AKA "Mr Perfection"-- his LIL Bigfoot is beautiful) pointed out to me that the floor was sagging when I was walking around... "it's only 8 bolts" he said "and the body comes off" And then he promptly left.... Weeellll- actually it's 16, but who's counting? So, Carrie came to the shop and we buzzed the bolts out, and then tilted the floor up and threw the blackened plywood out the back door. (and yes Darrel, it did need replacing) The reason the floor sags is a lack of crossmembers. So, now it has 4 more crossmembers. And the frame gets trussed on the bottom tomorrow to take the flex out of it.

So the saga continues.... Then the body goes back on, new floor made, then out the front door and the sanding and body prep starts. Filling holes, grinding out cracks, flaws, etc. Then the Interlux goes on. And of course, new cabinets.... More to follow. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0355__Small_.JPG   SANY0359__Small_.JPG  

SANY0363__Small_.JPG   SANY0365__Small_.JPG  

Old 06-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

Larry - I've just jumped into my FIRST adventure with a Compact Jr. (Our first trailer of any sort!) I'm having some issues with finding "plumbing" (for lack of a better term) to hook up the water tank. I'm not a big plumber, though I have replaced two sinks in our home (woo hoo). I could use some pointers. Would you mind showing us your tank set up (fixtures, hoses, adapters, etc.)?

The main issue seems to be the oddball sizes of everything. The filler neck of the tank is smooth and 1 1/2" (O.D.), while the fitting on the trailer wall is a pressure fit 1 1/8". Seems to me I need to reduce the line somehow along the way.

How do you tie the tank down to the floor? I have been considering a strap like that shown on your latest project (front to back), but not sure whether to install eye screws/bolts through floor or not. That seems the OBVIOUS solution to me, but obvious doesn't always prove best.

And finally, I'd like to use one of these for the gray water drain, but it appears to be for a 1 1/2" outlet. Mine measures a clear 1 3/4". What do you use out there?

Jen
nOOb in California

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #31

Talking

Quote:
Larry - I've just jumped into my FIRST adventure with a Compact Jr. (Our first trailer of any sort!) I'm having some issues with finding "plumbing" (for lack of a better term) to hook up the water tank.

The filler neck of the tank is smooth and 1 1/2" (O.D.), while the fitting on the trailer wall is a pressure fit 1 1/8".
How do you tie the tank down to the floor?

gray water drain, but it appears to be for a 1 1/2" outlet. Mine measures a clear 1 3/4". What do you use out there?

Jen
nOOb in California
JEN----Hmmmm I am going to have to take a drive to my shop (couple of miles) and measure everything... I just took everything apart and it is scattered aaallll over. The tank was held down with a strap- screwed into the sidewall (seat brace) and the floor with a couple of pieces of wood fore and aft screwed to the floor, to keep it from sliding. Sort of primitive, but the Compact had already had one "hurry-up" rebuild about 10 or so years ago. I'll post the measurements later for the pipes. Larry

It is now later---- Let's see if I can answer your questions in order....
#1 yup-filler neck of tank is smooth and about 1 1/2" and inlet filler (which I am going to replace) is about1 1/8 -see added tape? - here is what I have:

#2- I think I already answered

#3 Yes- the fitting you are looking at is for 1 1/2" pipe--- That is I.D.-- outer measurement will be approx 1 3/4". Attached is photo of what I have.

Make sense? Hope this has helped. LARRY
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0372__Small_.JPG   SANY0374__Small_.JPG  

SANY0376__Small_.JPG   SANY0379.JPG  

Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #32

Talking

Weeelllll---- After a little procrastination (was gonna join the Society of Procrastinators once, but never have gotten around to it ), and a little sidetrack or two (refurbing and putting a new floor in a 30 foot office trailer), I am back on it...... Slipped the body on the frame this morning (six new crossmembers to ensure no sagging, and treated w/POR 15, trussed, etc). Oh, did I mention that I installed a new straight axle that I built to raise the trailer 4 inches? Then, cut the plywood for a new floor, treated it w/asphalt sealer. After that, I ran out of things to do, so I started to rip the plywood out of the pop-up so I can re arch it. Felt like an early Native American building a canoe, except I was using water instead of fire to get the wood out. That's all for today--- more to follow. Larry (and yes, Steve, I did scarf that ugly bumper off...)
Attached Thumbnails
NOG_2008003__Small_.JPG   SANY0365__Small_.JPG  

SANY0368__Small_.JPG   SANY0397__Small_.JPG  

SANY0402__Small_.JPG   SANY0403__Small_.JPG  

SANY0405__Small_.JPG  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #33

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Weeelllll---- After a little procrastination (was gonna join the Society of Procrastinators once, but never have gotten around to it ), and a little sidetrack or two (refurbing and putting a new floor in a 30 foot office trailer), I am back on it...... Slipped the body on the frame this morning (six new crossmembers to ensure no sagging, and treated w/POR 15, trussed, etc). Oh, did I mention that I installed a new straight axle that I built to raise the trailer 4 inches? Then, cut the plywood for a new floor, treated it w/asphalt sealer. After that, I ran out of things to do, so I started to rip the plywood out of the pop-up so I can re arch it. Felt like an early Native American building a canoe, except I was using water instead of fire to get the wood out. That's all for today--- more to follow. Larry (and yes, Steve, I did scarf that ugly bumper off...)

Man, it looks hot in Ephrata.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Man, it looks hot in Ephrata.
Not bad----- high 80', low 90's...... I spent a year in a much hotter place, so this is bearable. And, it is not as oppressive as on your side of the Mountain. Larry (sent ya a PM)
Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 AM   #35

Trailer: Compact Jr
One thing occurs to me. Sis had her Compact weighed at the Oregon Gathering, and she's seriously light on the tongue (60/1600). I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and figured that she could get 10% on the tongue by moving the axle six or seven inches aft. It's impractical for her trailer, but since you're doing a frame-off and seem to know what you're doing with metal fabrication and fiberglass, you might think about doing something of the sort...

Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #36

Talking

Quote:
One thing occurs to me. Sis had her Compact weighed at the Oregon Gathering, and she's seriously light on the tongue (60/1600). I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and figured that she could get 10% on the tongue by moving the axle six or seven inches aft. It's impractical for her trailer, but since you're doing a frame-off and seem to know what you're doing with metal fabrication and fiberglass, you might think about doing something of the sort...
Steve--- I thought about that the first time you mentioned it----- In my mind almost impossible. It would involve major structure changes (and a lot of time) Moving wheel wells, which would put them right under the stove and in the closet under the ice box/fridge, rebuilding cabinents, etc. Quicker solution would be to put battery, spare, propane, etc on reinforced tongue.
Then, do what we did on race cars to add weight where we wanted it. Gather up all the wheel weights in the world, melt them into a vlave cover (off an engine), make a big lead ingot, drill a couple hole in it and bolt somewhere it can't be seen. I betcha if you didn't tell Cory, it would take her a while to discover them......... (of course, I've let the cat out of the bag now) at 1600# her trailer is still not very heavy, and that might be the solution.. Larry
Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
For some reason that 1600 lb seems a bit high.

I had a Compact Jr. in the '70s and it weighed 850 lb dry and around 1150 loaded.

It was pretty bare-bones, though, with only a 2 burner cook top, a small ice box and a porta-potty as the appliance load.

I never had any problems with sway towing with an old Peugeot 404. Was pretty underpowered, though.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #38

Talking

Quote:
For some reason that 1600 lb seems a bit high.

I had a Compact Jr. in the '70s and it weighed 850 lb dry and around 1150 loaded.

It was pretty bare-bones, though, with only a 2 burner cook top, a small ice box and a porta-potty as the appliance load.

I never had any problems with sway towing with an old Peugeot 404. Was pretty underpowered, though.
Dunno---- when I brought the project home, I ran it across a WSP scale, 1350# on the axle, and about 35# tongue weight. It had a fridge, normal galley, empty water tank, battery and a couple spares inside. It'll prob weigh more when I'm done. Larry
Old 08-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Make sense? Hope this has helped. LARRY
Sounds like your project is coming along great. We took off for our trip Monday (7/28), so I didn't catch this latest update 'til we regained internet tonight upon arrival in Washington (hot shower, too...woo hoo!).

Ended up cutting off the original tank filler neck, using a hole saw to cut the hole for a really cool compression fitting with a standard neck, connecting standard flexible RV water hose, discovering the old filler inlet wasn't modern standard either so replacing that, then moving the filler inlet up about 4" so there's a fall to the tank. Works great.

Now I'll a fiberglass refresher course so I can fill the old hole. For now, there's a cleanout cover (black to match the black paint) to fill the hole.

Lots of stuff to do with this pup, but it works for now! We've been happy to have it on the road this first of 9 weeks on the road!

Jen in Washington (this week)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #40

Weellll It's sitting on the frame again--sorta bolted on--- took it home to TSP the inside walls so I could paint the inside Friday... Just got back from putting down the vinyl floor covering. Doesn't look too bad. sure glad my friend Mike knows what he is doing..... Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0411__Small_.JPG   SANY0414__Small_.JPG  

SANY0415__Small_.JPG   SANY0416__Small_.JPG  

SANY0418__Small_.JPG   SANY0419__Small_.JPG