I Did It Again...A Compact Jr. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #41

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Wow...that looks really nice. I like how you built the wood floor all the way out to the sidewalls (I don't really care for that odd drop to the fiberglass floor on mine, and the idea of the thinner floor area). The linoleum/vinyl to the edges'll be nice, too!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #42

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

And the SAGA continues....... Rebuilt the galley cabinent yesterday (didn't remove it- just rebuilt, reinforced, and replaced dry-rotted supports), new bed/couch wood, and new closet/cupboard frame. (will skin it Monday). Carrie is happy as she will gain a cutting board and one more cupboard for pots and pans... Pressure is mounting to be finished, as it is already scheduled to be "rented out" for my good friend's Elk trip....... (I'll use the Scamp for mine) Also, Carrie & my goal is to take it to the Grayland campout in the end of SEP. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
sink_1__Small_.jpg   closet_1__Small_.jpg  

closet_2__Small_.jpg   closet_3__Small_.jpg  

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #43

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
And the SAGA continues....... Rebuilt the galley cabinent yesterday (didn't remove it- just rebuilt, reinforced, and replaced dry-rotted supports), new bed/couch wood, and new closet/cupboard frame. (will skin it Monday). Carrie is happy as she will gain a cutting board and one more cupboard for pots and pans... Pressure is mounting to be finished, as it is already scheduled to be "rented out" for my good friend's Elk trip....... (I'll use the Scamp for mine) Also, Carrie & my goal is to take it to the Grayland campout in the end of SEP. Larry
Where's the cutting board going to be?

So there's going to be a fridge in the upper forward spot on the passenger side? Sis has an icebox there.

On Sis' Compact, we hinged the two doors for the lower passenger-side cabinet at their bottom edges, so they drop flat on the floor when opened, and I put a false floor in the cabinet. That way she can pack two laundry baskets full o' stuff, then cart them out to the trailer and just slide them into place.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Where's the cutting board going to be?

So there's going to be a fridge in the upper forward spot on the passenger side? Sis has an icebox there. Steve
Steve- No, no icebox or fridge.... If you look back at the picture, we added a 7 inch opening below (was wasted space before) that will have a drop down door and be for pots & pans. above that is the original 5 inch drawer. Then above that will be the cutting board (had to put it there to be waist high for the wench. Then above that where the ice box/fridge was, will be a pantry (for want of a better name) that will be vented to the outside via the side vent and the stack vent for the fridge. I'll insulate it a bit with that pink rigid styro. This will (I hope ) provide a cool place to store bread, etc that needs to stay cool. Yeah, I know it won't do this in hot weather, but we don't go to hot spots to camp.... And in the fall, early winter in hunting camps, should work.... Larry (besides, we like ice chests--more efficent storage space-- just throw it out the door when we park)
Old 08-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Steve- No, no icebox or fridge.... If you look back at the picture, we added a 7 inch opening below (was wasted space before) that will have a drop down door and be for pots & pans. above that is the original 5 inch drawer. Then above that will be the cutting board (had to put it there to be waist high for the wench. Then above that where the ice box/fridge was, will be a pantry (for want of a better name) that will be vented to the outside via the side vent and the stack vent for the fridge. I'll insulate it a bit with that pink rigid styro. This will (I hope ) provide a cool place to store bread, etc that needs to stay cool. Yeah, I know it won't do this in hot weather, but we don't go to hot spots to camp.... And in the fall, early winter in hunting camps, should work.... Larry (besides, we like ice chests--more efficent storage space-- just throw it out the door when we park)
Okay, I see; I saw the vent holes and thought there'd be a fridge there. The pantry-and-ice chest scheme sounds interesting--load the ice chest inside the house, tote it out to the trailer. No unpacking and repacking. Hmmm.

On Sis' trailer, we eliminated the drawer under the icebox and put in a microwave. Of course, that presupposes you're going to camp where there's electricity...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #46

Talking

Quote:
Okay, I see; I saw the vent holes and thought there'd be a fridge there. The pantry-and-ice chest scheme sounds interesting--load the ice chest inside the house, tote it out to the trailer. No unpacking and repacking. Hmmm.

On Sis' trailer, we eliminated the drawer under the icebox and put in a microwave. Of course, that presupposes you're going to camp where there's electricity...
Yeah-- we're "Boondockers"-- no provision for 120 volt or 12 volt in our Scamp-- prob won't be in the Compact either-- we don't miss it- just use LED puck lites and a couple LED lantrens. (and have a propane backup) Here's a couple pictures of the cutting board, drawer, storage shelf mockup. Also, my solution to the sagging popup--- fiberglassed in 1/2 inch square tubing contoured to the main roof.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0422__Small_.JPG   SANY0423__Small_.JPG  

SANY0424__Small_.JPG   SANY0425__Small_.JPG  

Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #47

Talking

Cabinents are back in, refaced, doors-drawers repainted to a light sand color to complement the wood. It just keeps slowly going on..... Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0431__Small_.JPG   SANY0433__Small_.JPG  

SANY0434__Small_.JPG   SANY0445__Small_.JPG  

SANY0446__Small_.JPG  
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Cabinents are back in, refaced, doors-drawers repainted to a light sand color to complement the wood. It just keeps slowly going on..... Larry
I like your glassed-in reinforcements for the popup roof.

Are you fastening the interior cabinetry to the shell in any way?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #49

Talking

Quote:
I like your glassed-in reinforcements for the popup roof.

Are you fastening the interior cabinetry to the shell in any way?
Steve--- only using the factory screw hole that were there-- If I remember correctly, two?, (I'll check tommorrow) and they are covered by the pop-up. And of course, to the deck by way of metal "L" brackets. The new closet-cupboard is solid enough to almost be free-standing by itself. Larry
later..... I just went and checked--make that 4-right below where the canvas attaches... no reason why they should leak, especially after being wrapped in butyl tape before installation... Larry
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #50

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
SOme seriously nice work there, Larry!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #51

Talking

Quote:
SOme seriously nice work there, Larry!
Along with a few mistakes we have managed to hide..... Roughed out the over head cabinents tonite... Carrie and I are spoiled, we refuse to pack a suitcase after putting overheads in the Scamp. will take them down and verathane them tommorrow, then rip the support ribs for them. Larry (oh, no doors on them, will use that black netting you find in car trunks and soccer mom vans to go over the front of them)
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0457__Small_.JPG   SANY0459__Small_.JPG  

SANY0460__Small_.JPG  
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #52

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Gosh, Larry, sure wish we could've stopped by on our way through. We got off "schedule" the first day and didn't get back on 'til...er...

We MAY make it to South Dakota to pick up DH next week...that's what drives us forward.

But I would love to have seen your work up close, gotten some pointers, and some ideas for our project. I've discovered some things I'd like to do with it from the inside out. I'm using our icebox as a pantry and it's quite convenient, though not vented at this point. Change One. There are a couple of minor leaks, one I think EYE created when I put mosquito-blockin' mesh behind the above-stove vent, the other a mystery at the front window which appears sealed and doesn't leak during a downpour if you're PARKED, but tends to leak a bit going down a very wet road. Change TWO and Three. I have to fix the drawers so they won't fall out when we pull them out. Change...er...losing count already. And I'd like to build some drawers into teh closet - one for each family member. We tossed in a plastic set we picked up in Washington - much easier than the stack of boxes we had, but hardly ideal!

The question still remains - what will happen to our Junior once we return home where we have nowhere to store it (homeowners association = no storage), and when DH wants to join us (we won't all fit, and by next summer the girls and I won't all fit).

Keep up your posts! Love the ideas!

OH! And how ARE you going to secure those overhead storage bins? GREAT idea!

Jen (in Bismarck, ND today)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #53

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Along with a few mistakes we have managed to hide.....
There are always a few of those! Sometimes the secret to being a good craftsman is more knowing how to integrate, correct, or hide your mistakes than knowing how to avoid them in the first place.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #54

Talking

Quote:
Gosh, Larry, sure wish we could've stopped by on our way through. We got off "schedule" the first day and didn't get back on 'til...er...

But I would love to have seen your work up close, gotten some pointers, and some ideas for our project. I've discovered some things I'd like to do with it from the inside out. I'm using our icebox as a pantry and it's quite convenient, though not vented at this point. Change One. There are a couple of minor leaks, one I think EYE created when I put mosquito-blockin' mesh behind the above-stove vent, the other a mystery at the front window which appears sealed and doesn't leak during a downpour if you're PARKED, but tends to leak a bit going down a very wet road. Change TWO and Three. I have to fix the drawers so they won't fall out when we pull them out. Change...er...losing count already. And I'd like to build some drawers into teh closet - one for each family member. We tossed in a plastic set we picked up in Washington - much easier than the stack of boxes we had, but hardly ideal!

Keep up your posts! Love the ideas!

OH! And how ARE you going to secure those overhead storage bins? GREAT idea!

Jen (in Bismarck, ND today)
YUP-- we would have enjoyed gossiping w/you.. Sounds like your window has a slight sealing problem-- betcha it's on the side rather than top. If you have an air compressor, use that to blow around the window w/someone inside (less messy than shooting water at it-otherwise high pressure water will find it)
Do your drawers have a U-shaped plastic guide on them? The factory installed a cheesy one that breaks real easy and then you just have a piece of plastic that acts as a slide.
Secure the overhead shelves? Flat aluminum strap from the bottom of shelf at prob 18" intervals and then bolted to the same little bolts/macnine screws that secure the canvas top. And then to hold the clothes in, netting, like the net catch alls that you see in car trunks and mini vans. (in fact that is what I am going to use- just gonna make a trip to the local wrecking yard and scrounge) Larry
Old 08-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #55

Talking

The painting has started...... Sanded the top this morning and so much GREEN showed through, I figured I'd better throw some paint on before Carrie saw it and wanted it to stay GREEN so she could call it "Kermit" --- she has this thing about Frogs.... Ask me why when you see me--- I can't tell the story here.... Interlux paint sure is interesting.... Guess I'd better go start making curtains tonite- time is getting short- planning on taking Compact to Grayland end of the month. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0469__Small_.JPG   SANY0470__Small_.JPG  

SANY0471__Small_.JPG  
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #56

Talking

First coat of paint on trailer tonite-- gets second couple in a couple days after it cures... Interlux is sure wierd to work with.........(smells, too) Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0477__Small_.JPG   SANY0482__Small_.JPG  

SANY0483__Small_.JPG  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #57

Trailer: 77 Scamp
LOOKING GOOD the shiny new paint looks super nice and glossy.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Interlux is sure wierd to work with.........(smells, too) Larry
Larry, what do you mean by "weird"? Tries to run, bubbles ???
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #59

Talking

Quote:
Larry, what do you mean by "weird"? Tries to run, bubbles ???
Yeah to all of the above..... When one puts in on-- I'm rolling it on- it bubbles and just scares ya. It reminds me of 2 part expoxy paint, both by the appearance and the smell. Real thick like heavy unwhipped whipping cream. But, the bubbles disapate (sp?)over the space of a 1/2 hour. Then, if one was too greedy and put it on heavy, it starts to flow, and then you are chasing the sags with a foam brush to smooth it out. But, on the positive side, you can smooth it for about 1/2 hour plus after application. Dust and brush/roller particles are a slight problem, tho.
End result tho, is a finish that looks like new white gelcoat. Fascinating stuff. I'll end up with a paint job that cost around a hundred bucks that will shine like the devil. Only distracter will be up close there will be some dust particles that will show.... It'll be what we call a 10 ft paint job. Larry
Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #60

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looking good,
Gives me second thoughts on wanting to redo the gelcoat on mine.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote