I Did It Again...A Compact Jr. - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #121

Trailer: Compact Jr

Click image for larger version

Name:	compactframe1.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	16397

Lifted the body off, and high enough to pull the frame from under. Welded additional supports on the frame. One problem is the tongue seems to be sagging, and bent up slightly. Not sure how to make the adjustment. The hitch as a slight angle up. I will have to take a closer picture later for suggestions.
Going camping this weekend starting Thursday! Using a different trailer of course...
Attached Thumbnails
compactframe2.JPG  
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #122

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Attachment 16397

Lifted the body off, and high enough to pull the frame from under. Welded additional supports on the frame. One problem is the tongue seems to be sagging, and bent up slightly. Not sure how to make the adjustment. The hitch as a slight angle up. I will have to take a closer picture later for suggestions.
Going camping this weekend starting Thursday! Using a different trailer of course...
Gonna be a little rustic camping in that this weekend.... When I discovered that the tongue was a little flimsy, I trussed it, in fact I trussed the whole frame. If you have a welder, it's easy. Another place to add crossmembers is the high traffic area, i.e. the floor right inside the door. For the tongue I put jack stands under the frame, letting the tonque hang there unsupported, then added weight to the tonque to load it it (bring it down) then welded the trusses in. (BTW small block chev heads are 40#, 409 chev heads 60#) Bring it down slightly more than you want it to end up (approx 1/2")
Have fun this weekend, I'm leaving in a couple hours for a 2 week Elk Camping trip. (taking the Scamp- Compact is going to a different Elk camp with my friend Mike) Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0367__Small_.JPG   SANY0396__Small_.JPG  

SANY0368__Small_.JPG  
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #123

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I love watching the progress on these Compact Jr's , wish I could find one in my neck of the woods. But I've never seen one around me. I don't think the wife would care for another trailer right now, quess two is enough. But I'll probably sell one next year, so I'll make room just in case. Nice work guys.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #124

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There WAS one in New Hampshire no too long ago. Erm... yeah, I called They're just so CUTE! When I was very first thinking fiberglass trailer, that's what I thought I wanted, but they were always in California, or the like so I gave up.

I like the way the inside is laid out like a boat

I'll see if the one I'm talking about it still on Craigslist, and if it is I'll put it in the referrals.

Update: I just looked and it's gone. Shoot, I should have put it on the referrals when I saw it - I've just never done that so I'm not in the habit..

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #125

That may have been the one that was on Ebay a couple of weeks ago ? Anyway it looked pretty good and I was going to get on touch of the person, they I forgot about it.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #126

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
That may have been the one that was on Ebay a couple of weeks ago ? Anyway it looked pretty good and I was going to get on touch of the person, they I forgot about it.
This one was a one-tone robin's-egg blue (I didn't see the one on e-Bay).

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #127

Nope I do remember it wasn't blue.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #128

Need suggestions from experienced welders for a Compact Jr. frame problem. Click here please.

If you have any comments, will you please kindly respond on the linked thread above. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #129

Cliff, I'm not an experienced welder, but I do have one and use it on stuff when I need to. I do have a friend who is a great welder and in the Steam Fitters Union . I haven't done a frame up restoration on anything, but if I did and got down to the frame and it looked pretty bad. I would consider building a new one made from galvanized steel , if it wasn't too much money. You may save a lot of time working on that old steel. You wouldn't have to worry about that frame ever again. Just a foolish thought. Tim
Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #130

Tom,
I replied on the linked post. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #131

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Man I had to read the whole thread. I enjoyed it all. I would love to take on a project like that. I remodel houses on occasion just for some thing to do. A trailer would be a lot easier on an old fart.

How did the elk hunting go Larry?
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #132

Quote:
Man I had to read the whole thread. I enjoyed it all. I would love to take on a project like that. I remodel houses on occasion just for some thing to do. A trailer would be a lot easier on an old fart.

How did the elk hunting go Larry?
You mean the "Camping with a gun"? Good time--- but, Elk are scare in South Eastern WA... So, it was a good trip. But always enjoyable with good friends...
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0571__Small_.JPG   HPIM0367.JPG  

Old 01-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #133

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Great photos Larry, it looks a lot like Wyoming. I know what you mean, it is fun to go with friends or family, the hunting is just an excuse.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #134

Talking

Sharyl---- here is what I ended up doing on our CJ Jr. Larry
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #135

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Carrie View Post
And the saga continues.... Made a new straight axle today - eliminated the 4" drop to raise it. Larry
Larry,
Do you still have the measurements for the straight axle? I need to replace mine after the fun of the past June in KY (lost wheel bearing), and never liked the drop axle.
Don
Don'n'Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #136

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
Larry,
Do you still have the measurements for the straight axle? I need to replace mine after the fun of the past June in KY (lost wheel bearing), and never liked the drop axle.
Don
Don-- all I did was measure the dropped one when I had it out on the floor- for overall width, then found the center, measured the spring center bolt spacing, and grabbed a chunk of square tubing and started welding, drilling, etc. I used my left over spindles from my old scamp axle as I wanted 4 hole wheels.

Tell you what, I shall measure the axle Friday (gotta make a mad dash to Tacoma tommorrow to pick up an extra engine) and post the measurements. Larry

(on a side note, by raising the trailer 4 inches, you may find a difference in the handling characteristics. The CJ seems to bobble a little at 70+ mph now. If I was to pull all the time, I think I would add some shocks)
Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #137

Name: debby
California
Registry
Another Compact Jr

We just got ours about four months ago & will be at the Lake Casitas affair with the total rebuild complete -- we hope.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010572.jpg   P1010574.jpg  

P1010575.jpg   P1010355 copy.jpg  

Debby T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #138

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'n'Deb View Post
Larry,
Don
Don--- I finally got the measurements for you--- sorry it took so long. The CJ axle is 57" wide from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and the holes for the spring center bolts are 38 1/4" center to center. Hope this helps. Larry
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #139

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Sink/Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby T. View Post
We just got ours about four months ago ....
Where did you get that sink/stove combo and how much did it cost ?
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #140

Registry
Thanks Larry, that is just what I needed...now I don't have to jack CJ up and get Deb to hold the end of tape... We are both getting too old for that kind of thing!!
Don'n'Deb is offline   Reply With Quote