I [finally] "sturdied up" my wobbly side dinette table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
I [finally] "sturdied up" my wobbly side dinette table

All of this about our 2010 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe...

Thanks to the inspiration of those who have already worked to secure the often-wobbly side dinette table, I charged off to set mine right... and I'm glad I did!

I attached a "cleat" to the side wall to support the rear edge of the table, then I "modded" my side dinette table so that I could use a toggle clamp (I got mine at Woodcraft; it is a "Wood River" Toggle Clamp Vertical 200lbs, Woodcraft's number is 143934).

Now, I just plop the back edge of the table down on the "cleat," put the chrome tube into the receiver socket, and push back on the red toggle handle... instant sturdy!

I wanted my cleat to be directly against the fiberglass and not the carpet and I agonized over just how would be the best way to "mark" (or whatever) where I wanted to cut away the carpet and its backing foam. Then I hit on the idea that worked perfectly: I "hot glued" the cleat to the carpet exactly where I wanted it. When the glue cooled, I ran my utility knife tight around the four sides of the cleat.

While it was glued there, I drilled hrough the pilot holes that I had already drilled in my cleat... now the holes in the cleat and the holes in the fiberglass were in perfect alignment.

When I had cut through the carpet and foam, I just tugged on the cleat... off it came and the carpet came with it... yee ha! It was then a simple matter to clean up the left over foam-stuff and pop the hot melt glue off of the back of the cleat.

Happy trails!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG4758.jpg   CIMG4759.jpg  

CIMG4757.jpg   CIMG4756.jpg  

Rob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Nice job, sometimes you need a extra hand or two but with gluing it in just the right spot first, leaves no room for mistakes. The cut on the front carpet is seamless , very good idea . No more spilled coffee.

Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our Egg Camper came from the factory with a wall cleat for the table. There is matching hook & loop fasteners on the cleat and the underside of the table. The table is very stable. Don't know how long the velcro would last if the table were put down & up every day but replacing the velcro would be cheap & easy.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
You always come up with neat ideas and the craftmanship is always so beautiful. Even in places you can't see very well. Nice job as usual.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
another great job well done, rob!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote