I got spark - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I seen the kit at Walmart in the BBQ section to add electronic sparker for 3 burners was on clearance for only 3.00 so I had to buy it. It even came with the aa battery. Just had to drill a hole in front panel making sure their was enough room for the module behind it. Screwed the base of each electrode just to the side of each burner and ran the wires to the module. Total time spent was about 30 minutes. No more hunting for a lighter or matches.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010372.JPG  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You've done a mod, I'd like to consider doing Mike. I've read Joy A's topic about a dozen times. Of course the only time I REALLY think about doing it, is when I'm out camping.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Been there, done that. Works great! I had to make a little aluminum bracket bent to support the 2 electrodes in the exactly right place. Took me an hour.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Yea, we saw Joys post about this too and decided this is one of the mods we have to do, too! Getting rid of the Bic Aim-n-Flame we have to lug out every time we want to use the cook top is a pain, particularly because it and the scissors fight for space in the silverware drawer where they both live and make it hard to close the drawer.

I bought a different piezoelectric igniter, one that does not require a battery, and need to make some brackets to hold them in just the right spot toignite the burners. I also need a bushing to raise the igniter push button up a bit so it fits between the two gas control knobs on our stove without rubbing the bottom of the stove unit, but it's the same basic idea: get rid of the Bic lighter.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeap, it's the best mod out of all the multitude of mods I've done.

I don't think I go into my trailer now without playing with the stove. I just love this mod.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Does any one have a suggestion on how to do this using the existing 12V power? The idea is great, yet I know that means there is one more battery keep checking.

Alternatively, Peters piezoelectric igniter sounds good.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I likey! what a great idea
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The idea is great, yet I know that means there is one more battery keep checking.
Roy, don't worry about battery life. When I installed the ignitor, I used a cheap Harbor Freight rechargeable battery and it lasted almost a year before I had to recharge it the first time. You only use power momentarily because the burners light (usually) on the first spark.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I don't see the little AA battery in the ignitor being a problem. I've got all sorts of stuff in the trailer with AA batteries. TV remote, flashlight, Nintendo, Gameboy, clock, hummmmm I'm sure there is more. So I obviously carry extra batteries or can steal from the afore mentioned.

I'm sure the battery will last longer in ignitor than in the other items I mentioned as it's just a quick little spark only when you use the stove or play with it like I do.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Yup. The battery in the home BBQ has lasted about four years now and besides we always keep spares in the trailer for small flashlights, clocks and camera equipment.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
When I reworked my old cook top I added a push button for a BarBQ. It works well only lights one burner though. This was a kit for those large 2 and 3 burner camp stoves. 9$ at Cabellas, no battery! I also made some clips to hold the burner tops on!
Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0372.jpg  
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Talking

I found a 'deal' on ebay for a push button 4 sparker AAA base unit. I'll use some small ceramic spacers with short bits of chromalloy wire attached to some teflon coated wire to run from each of the 4 burners in the Bigfoot! However, I'll still need to use the Butane igniter for the oven burner. But, hey, some 'roughing it' is required in 'camping'!
Mike .....>

Quote:
When I reworked my old cook top I added a push button for a BarBQ. It works well only lights one burner though. This was a kit for those large 2 and 3 burner camp stoves. 9$ at Cabellas, no battery! I also made some clips to hold the burner tops on!
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Quote:
I found a 'deal' on ebay for a push button 4 sparker AAA base unit. I'll use some small ceramic spacers with short bits of chromalloy wire attached to some teflon coated wire to run from each of the 4 burners in the Bigfoot! However, I'll still need to use the Butane igniter for the oven burner. But, hey, some 'roughing it' is required in 'camping'!
Mike .....>

Michael, I have a Bigfoot and am in the market for a 4-burner Kit. Would you please post the item number or web page at ebay?

BTW, have you had a chance to try it out? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks for your reply,

JMP
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Jane,
It was NOT a kit - only the sparker unit. I'll have to make up the wires and the igniter points.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3#ht_500wt_1182
Ebay item # 160339430020
He had a bunch but I don't know if there are any left. It has 4 push on terminals which you can run to each burner. The spark jumps between each pair - not to a common ground. But if you space the points close enough, all 4 will spark at the same time.
Good luck.
Mike .....>

Quote:
Michael, I have a Bigfoot and am in the market for a 4-burner Kit. Would you please post the item number or web page at ebay?

BTW, have you had a chance to try it out? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks for your reply,

JMP
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote