I got the Generator tonight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
I got the generator as ordered. After taking it to the gas co to fill the tank I noticed one of the case bolts must have loosened in transit.....seems odd. I partially got it in butm I need more daylight to get it all the way
I added the oil and gas and tuged away over 10 times...no start. After realizing I was pulling the cord straigt up 90 degrees (follow me?) I instead knelt down and pulled it out parallel to the ground and it started right up . It seems a bit louder than other models (Honda) I've heard but then again it was very quiet outside (as opposed to a WSU tailgating party) and I'm probably being hyper sensitive to it.

An interesting note is that there is a sticker right on the unit that says Kipor engines. I suspected it was a Kipor knockoff but didn't realize McCulloch simply rebadged it.

I'll post tomorrow when I actually plug something into it.

Dan
Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Dan'
I think whoever owns McCulloch is doing more importing and rebadging than they are manufacturing. Sort of like Coleman; for a price anyone can sell something with "Coleman" on it.

Hope you like your new generator! Tom Trostel
Old 02-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #3

I pulled the electrical extension cord from under the sink and out the side of the Boler. Went into the generator and voila, the 4 way plug mounted above the refridge lit up. I plugged in my wifes hair dryer and no problem. I then told her that was her Valentines day present.

Dan
Old 02-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
Dan!!

Im sure that will GENERATE some interest this evening.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Dan, do you have any idea what it weighs? I don't see the weight listed at Tool King. I've been given the go ahead to start genny shopping.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #6

I recall the shipping weight was 52 lbs....? I filled the tank and was able to walk it around with no problem.

Bottom line is that it looks, sounds and performs just like a Honda.

Dan
Old 02-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks Dan. Another reason not to buy Honda besides price is their "rule" no posting or advertising of prices. I think the competition of the other manufacturers will be good for them.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #8

I'm a big fan of Honda products but with a generator, I do not plan on using it that much and at twice the price......go with a Kipor or McCulloch. As I said earlier, the McCulloch has a sticker on it saying Kipor engines !
Old 02-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #9

Registry
dan, I totally agree with your thought process on this. I'll run it all by my husband and we will probably order one.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #10

My manual shows an inverter as well. When I get home I'll fire it up too and see if my laptop works with it....I'll run it through a power strip.

Regarless, it should meet my limited needs as I want it for emergency backup at the house and the occasional blow dry while camping.

I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject.

Dan
Old 02-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
When we first discovered the Kipor products, per their literature at the time (product intro to the US), the TC model was not recommended if you wanted to run high end electronics like your laptop. The TI inverter technology is supposed to be a cleaner(?) current. There was a lot of discussion and speculation since very few people had a Kipor of any kind.

The Kipor 2000TC model is supposed to power up nearly everything at the campsite except most of our AC. For those who can run their AC with the TC, I'd like to hear more about the size of your AC unit and its power draw.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Thanks for all the objective advise and reporting of experience in using these alternative Gen Sets.

As always, do your own heavy investigation when purchasing new to the market items.

This thread has run it's course.
Closed Thread

Tags
generator