I hope you're all ready to help me - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Michigan
I hope you're all ready to help me

Because I just purchase a 1978 Boler 1300 and I've got all kinds of crazy ideas for what I want to do with it. I'll be telling the story of the remodel on my Camper Creative Facebook page if you want to follow along, but I'm sure I'll also be back here quite often to run my ideas by the group and take advantage of the wisdom of this fine community. So anyway, for now I just wanted to let you all know I've officially joined the club.

https://www.facebook.com/campercreative?ref=hl

Here is a sneak peak. What do you think I should do first?

Camper Creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
First thing to do is get it off that flatbed trailer.
Welcome to the forum. Seriously, axle, bearings. tires would be where I would start.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
First things to do:
If you are going to tow or camp in it anywhere start with safety, bearing, tires, lights, etc.

If you are diving into improvements, modifications or customization then start with a solid foundation, check the frame, and structure.
This may help you Boler Buyer’s Guide

Last item on your list should be the outside finish
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Hi Mike and Welome.

The first thing you should do is to change your signature from "Currently shopping" to '1978 Awesome Boler'

Colin
colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

Michigan
My goal is to remodel it into a mobile office for my freelance graphic design business. I'm thinking of starting by completely gutting the interior since I will be building a custom office interior anyway. I'd then like to pull the body off the frame to better inspect the condition of everything. I'm also very curious to take it apart just to better understand how it's all constructed and to determine if there is a way I can build a custom frame that would allow me to have a completely flat interior floor. I will likely be building a new frame anyway, but I am really excited about the idea of building something totally custom and doing something completely different than what's been done before.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #6

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Creative View Post
My goal is to remodel it into a mobile office for my freelance graphic design business. I'm thinking of starting by completely gutting the interior since I will be building a custom office interior anyway. I'd then like to pull the body off the frame to better inspect the condition of everything. I'm also very curious to take it apart just to better understand how it's all constructed and to determine if there is a way I can build a custom frame that would allow me to have a completely flat interior floor. I will likely be building a new frame anyway, but I am really excited about the idea of building something totally custom and doing something completely different than what's been done before.
Awesome! Be original and think outside the box. You're already doing it.

How is it that your floor is not flat? Do you mean that it is curved up at the sides?
Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
How is it that your floor is not flat? Do you mean that it is curved up at the sides?
I'm referring to the drop in the center of the floor. If I removed everything from the interior I believe the floor would step up around the edges where the benches and cabinets were. I would prefer the floor to be all on one level if possible. I think they are kinda rare and I haven't seen one, but I believe some are this way.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #8

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
I'm referring to the drop in the center of the floor. If I removed everything from the interior I believe the floor would step up around the edges where the benches and cabinets were. I would prefer the floor to be all on one level if possible. I think they are kinda rare and I haven't seen one, but I believe some are this way.
Oh, I see what you mean. Many of the rear dinettes have a step-up under the table; mine does not. However, in the small front dinette, there is a very small step. That one doesn't bother me, but I'm glad the floor is "flat" everywhere else.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
This is a valuable, resourceful, and maybe a tad bit conservative group. Don't be afraid to use your creativity and if you need to do a task that may be fun and maybe not so practical just do it. I do understand that I may look silly standing next to my shiny fiberglass trailer waiting for the tow truck because my axle has failed. Enjoy your project!
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:34 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
My goal is to remodel it into a mobile office for my freelance graphic design business. I'm thinking of starting by completely gutting the interior ......
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. The interior "furniture" in most eggs is structural so removal requires something to keep the roof from caving. At least one person installed an arch. Wood, I think, but it might have been fiberglass. Good luck with your project and do post your progress. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Of course, do everything you need to do to make your trailer safe to tow. When you are ready for advice on the really "fun stuff", glamping, I'm your gal! I love to make window coverings, bedding and and various other decor. You can PM (private message) me or talk on the forum thread when you are ready. Here's a photo of my Southwest decor to whet your appetite.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 001.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote