I'm adding air conditioning to my Scamp. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
Name: DonD
Trailer: 2000 13 ft Scamp
<div align="left"> [b]DONE!!!! Well, I finally finished this project up. I added more pictures to the original album in the first post for those that would like to see it. I ended up using Reflectix to make an exhaust chute to direct the hot air to the outside and the cool air will get sucked in from the bottom (Matt, we think alike!) I also added a shelf to act as a divider between the AC unit air and the interior camper air. I let it run for about 15 minutes and it cooled things off nicely. We'll see how it does in the real world though. This was all in my garage so it'll be interesting to see what happens when it's 90 out. I hate how noisy these window units are though. Is there such a thing as a quiet compressor? This didn't end up quite as "polished" as I would have liked but I had to balance that with my want for accessibility and this is the end result.

Here's the link to the album with the added pictures.
I was reading your post and thought you may be able answer couple questions . I have a 13 foot 2000 scamp . I have removed the old factory installed air conditioning unit, and that was quite a job removing rivets and removing it from the closet area itself without tearing up the fiberglass. Anyway, my opening was 19"x12.5"x15" or so on the depth. I thought I may just place the unit in the original opening, so it would exhaust through the louvered access on the exterior of the trailer I did not reinstall the wooden shelf above the unit. I returned an hour later to find the unit was extremely hot. I'm not sure if I needed to reinstall the shelf so the unit would breathe correctly even though the clearance between the bottom of the shelf in the top of the unit is only approximately an inch and a half? I do not understand if the factory had installed it this way. Why the unit I would replace the factory unit with would overheat so severely. Maybe if I install a smaller unit such as a 5000 BTU that would give additional room around the side vents to breathe more freely. I'm sorry I forgot to mention the unit that I installed was a 6500 BTU unit, because I wanted to fit as close to the original opening as possible. Where the unit now sets, directly on the wheel well, I cannot cut a hole in the bottom of the unit like you demonstrated. Maybe if I install a chute to divert all of the hot air through the factory installed louvers? I am a newbie and I really appreciate the time and effort that you took to place your post. Thanks, Don

Don Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Bryan, that's a fantastic install, and you documented it well. What a great way for others to see how you did it.

There is two things I did notice, one you have further alluded to about the outside door being a bit awkward. I thought about making a hanging table too, but the heat blowing out of the AC is just too much to make its use confortable.

I've regreted installing my outside access door so that it hinges up, instead of down, it would of made things so much easier.

The second is the vent in the floor. I was wondering if when towing, rainwater from the road could get blown up and into the trailer? I wonder if you can fashion a cover of some sort to keep the vent from becoming a water-scoop if & when you pass through a puddle on the road. It's probably not a concern, but it's just a thought.

Otherwise, thats a great mod...much better done & documented than mine.

Check out my Scamp restoration video on Youtube, & my Ham Radio Blog. Or take the 50 cent tour...
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #17
Name: Robert
Trailer: Boler
Any chance this link still works some place else ?
I would love to see how you installed the a/c in the closet....

Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioning, scamp