I'm adding air conditioning to my Scamp. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 08:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
The new link is in the post above the post you just made!
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #22

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I read through your photo album with great interest and admiration! I'm really interested in getting some kind of AC *sensibly* installed in my 13.5. I have wondered about putting one up front under the dinette, and have also wondered about putting one in the rear venting out the back.

The spare tire is in the way, so that would need to be reconfigured. In either case I have the wood floor over the fiberglass pan, so drainage would be a bit more complicated than what you set up... I think?

And another option might be, as others have done, removing the 3-way which is not that useful to me... and installing one there. The outside vents are already available...
Old 07-17-2022, 04:51 AM   #23

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
I'm finally adding air to my Scamp this summer. Now that I can get it in the garage at the new place we might actually use it as guest quarters when the house gets crowded. We need the air here in Kansas anyway. I had originally planned to have an AC unit that slides in and out of a hatch at the bottom of the closet. I had installed an access hatch on the outside that the back end of the AC unit would have hung out and then I was going to leave the lower door off to get the air in to the Scamp. Although neat, I was worried that the airflow wouldn't be as great as if the head of the AC unit was actually "inside" the living area more.

When mounting in the closet there seem to be two things that people are concerned about - dripping and proper air flow. I think I took care of both of those problems with one solution. I created an album that you can view with captions as that's easier than loading the pictures on to here. I still have a few things left to do but you'll get the idea.

Here's the link to the album.
http://picasaweb.google.com/brystheguy/Sca...feat=directlink
Excellent installation. I'm planning to add AC to my Burro. My thought was to make a panel to cover the opening when I wasn't using the AC. But I like the access panel you used better. Where can you get an access panel like this?
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:13 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I took the liberty of uploading screenshots of your album here for archival purposes. Thought it might be useful if the external link expires again. Good information for others who want to add A/C to their small eggs. If you have any objection, let me know and I'll be happy to take them down.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp AC 1.jpg Views: 15 Size: 88.1 KB ID: 146570" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	Scamp AC 2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	146571

Name:	Scamp AC 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	146572

Name:	Scamp AC 4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	146573

Name:	Scamp AC 5.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	146574
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:49 AM   #25

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret R-J View Post
actually i'm margaret-r's husband, we share the site. i installed air to our 13' scamp earlier in the spring. i put it in the closet and cut off the top air intake louvers for more air flow, as the factory did, and built ducts to separate the exhaust from the condenser intake vent. i was not satisfied with the performance, as it seemed to not "breath" properly. i decided to switch to a slide-out installation. i put stops so when pulled out, it didn't need any brackets, etc. for support and in this way, all the vents are outside like a house A/C and it drains outside, also. when ready, just push it back it and secure the lock. it takes no time at all. i lost my digital camera with pics, etc. so i will take some pics when i replace the camera if anyone is interested.
the only down side of this installation is that when the air is running, the face of the unit is several inches back from the closet face, but that is easily fixed with a slide-in channel for the cold air output. works great.
It seems like a lot of people had issues with air flow around the air conditioner and the unit heating up too much. Your method of sliding out the unit sounds like a great idea. Can you take some pictures of it? I might copy your design.
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, scamp