If you had it to do over again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hi everyone! [b]If you had your remodel to do over again or you could add one more thing to your little fiberglass RV, what would it be? (besides a bathroom) I'm talking about a 13 foot trailer.
When I rebuilt my Gutted-out Compact Junior, my focus was Simplicity, and Cost Effectiveness. From my perspective at that time, it was quite a leap in infrastructure investment to have anything more than a "hard-sided tent".

This whole trailer thing has been such an education for me! Looking back from my present station in life, it amazes me to realize how what I had, at the time I had it, was exactly what I needed! And, I learned as I went, which necessitated making changes along the way. I don't think I would value what I have now as much as I do, if I didn't go through all the "mistakes" along the way.

Nothing (not even diamonds) are forever!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Roger, we recently added that outside door to our Tril, it works real well. And, most make light of the shower we added, but, if you have a small trailer I highly recommend you look into what we did to the Trillium. All of this is shown on our web site in the Trillium album.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside_hatch.jpg   Outside_hatch_2.jpg  

Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
2 items everyone fails to think of is Fiberglass awnings over the windows to help keep the rain from the windows & a one pc. countertop that extends to the front wall,thus giving a perfect place for the tv.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0205.JPG   IMG_0204.JPG  

Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I purchased mine new. I wish I would have have two more lights installed. Location in the bottom of the overhead cabinet at the rear of the trailer, in the corners. That would put them over the dinnet. Or at least had wire run into that cabinet.

I guess if I was starting with a clean slate I'd make sure I had 12volts wired to every corner of the trailer and on sperate circuits.
You know... If you have a Scamp, adding 12 volt wiring and lights is really easy to do. I bought my trailer and added plenty of 12 volt lights throughout the trailer as well as a porch light...
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
You know... If you have a Scamp, adding 12 volt wiring and lights is really easy to do. I bought my trailer and added plenty of 12 volt lights throughout the trailer as well as a porch light...
Wiring is easy, routing the wires is a bit more difficult. Let's cut through rat fur and refletix, pull away from fiberglass run wire. Attempt to reglue refletix and rat fur and not have seam show. Hummmm Me thinks it's pretty hard to do. Even Scamp wouldn't do it after that stuff was glued to the walls. That's why I would like to have had 12Volts run into each overhead cabinet before the rat fur was glued on. Wouldn't have needed to have it connect to anything, just there.

I don't know about the ensolite lined Scamps. I would imagine that you could remove the seam tape, put the wire in the seam, and retape.

I'm sure that if I look at thing long enough I'll figure out a way to run some wire and hide it.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
I don't like having something between me and the toilet that I have to climb over. So, in my opinion, a bed in the middle, even if it isn't set up all the time, would be a big pain in the butt.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #27

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
Roger, we recently added that outside door to our Tril, it works real well. And, most make light of the shower we added, but, if you have a small trailer I highly recommend you look into what we did to the Trillium. All of this is shown on our web site in the Trillium album.
We are doing something similar to this. We converted the couch to a small dinette. It is now slightly off center towards the door. This made room behind the driver side seat, so we made a storage compartment behind the seat. The top will be counter top height with a lift out lid. The battery will be in the bottom of this compartment, with access through the top AND through the seat compartment. Then there will be a false bottom so it isn't just one deep hole and we will probably use plastic file boxes with top handles for easy lift out storage. The shelf will be wide enough for a small microwave. Now if I could find one with the hinges on the right side it would be easier to use. Bonnie and Roger
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Roger has spent the last two weeks totally rewiring and adding outlets and lights. It sounds incredible that we have 5 outlets in a 13 foot trailer. One is outside, one in the closet, as I use a C-pap machine to sleep. It will be on the bottom shelf of the closet and we'll cut a hole for the breathing tube to come through. Another outlet will be in the cabinet under the sink to plug in an instant hot water dispenser. There was already an outlet on the front of the kitchen cabinet and he put one in the back cabinet over the bed. There will be three 12 volt lights and a converter under the refrigerator. We have a couple more blocks to install for a new shelf, then we are ready to start applying the wall covering. R n'B in WA
Old 11-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Roger has spent the last two weeks totally rewiring and adding outlets and lights. It sounds incredible that we have 5 outlets in a 13 foot trailer. One is outside, one in the closet, as I use a C-pap machine to sleep. It will be on the bottom shelf of the closet and we'll cut a hole for the breathing tube to come through. Another outlet will be in the cabinet under the sink to plug in an instant hot water dispenser. There was already an outlet on the front of the kitchen cabinet and he put one in the back cabinet over the bed. There will be three 12 volt lights and a converter under the refrigerator. We have a couple more blocks to install for a new shelf, then we are ready to start applying the wall covering. R n'B in WA

Great job. All it takes is a little elbow grease and time and viola it is done and really makes a difference in the trailer. I know that it did for me in my trailer. Have a good one. Pat
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
We just bought a small one with a lock off E-Bay last week. It has to be pretty small to fit the curve of the trailer. I think there were still about 40 available. (Item # 4614813362) It does have a gap around the door opening which will need a seal of some sort. It was $10 plus shipping of $7 I think.

Bonnie
I just installed one of those locker doors from ebay. Not too hard to do. I put the hinge on the underside so it stays open while I'm in it. There is a gap to fill at each side. I cut some "camper tape" foam to fit. I used rubbber tape and pop rivets.
The only problem is I can't remove the blue felt pen lines I made for sawing. Acetone got most but not all.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #31

Quote:
I just installed one of those locker doors from ebay. Not too hard to do. I put the hinge on the underside so it stays open while I'm in it. There is a gap to fill at each side. I cut some "camper tape" foam to fit. I used rubbber tape and pop rivets.
The only problem is I can't remove the blue felt pen lines I made for sawing. Acetone got most but not all.
Here are some things I have used to remove Sharpie marks in the past. Pam cooking spray, WD-40, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and aerosol hairspray, have all worked on different surfaces. There is also a product called "Goof Off" that might work. Good luck. Bonnie
Old 12-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #32

Registry
We've found that good old isopropol alchol (rubbing alchol) works pretty darn good at removing 'Sharpie" marks.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #33

Trailer: Trillium 4500
MEK will eradicate any trace of the sharpie in most cases. Use with caution. It can also harm some surfaces so try on some hidden spot first.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
Now--if I could just figure out how to squeeze in a shower and flush toilet
Bonnie and Roger in WA
Roger, you don't say what kind of trailer you are working on. It says you have "none".
As for the shower, there are many that have rigged up poles, and shower curtains, on closet pole holders, and made a removable shower in the middle of the floor, with a large plastic storage container for the water, I am sure you are aware of that. I did that, scooted it up to the door, and dumped the water outside. I know, a no no.
But the reason for my posting is to say, that if you have a flush toilet, then you are going to have to fool with sewer hoses, , instead of an old garden hose for the gray water. That is why I took my flush toilet out, and use a porta potti. To each his own !! Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #35

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
A trick I've used many times is to center masking tape so the "cut line" marks were on the tape. The saw or Roto-Zip "blades" cut right through the tape and the tape eliminated the erasure problem. It works on fiberglass, drywall, painted surfaces, plywood and fine finished surfaces.
To prevent scratches caused by the metal foot of the tool, cover the foot with masking tape.
Works for me.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use a wide carpenters pencil, really nothing more than a #2 pencil, only fatter. Nothing that would permanently mark the gel coat. An art gum eraser removes all traces of the lead.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Quote:
A trick I've used many times is to center masking tape so the "cut line" marks were on the tape. The saw or Roto-Zip "blades" cut right through the tape and the tape eliminated the erasure problem. It works on fiberglass, drywall, painted surfaces, plywood and fine finished surfaces.
To prevent scratches caused by the metal foot of the tool, cover the foot with masking tape.
Works for me.
Kurt & Ann K.
Remember to remove the masking tape off the saw foot after use....a year later it becomes a chore...just ask me! ... ...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Roger, you don't say what kind of trailer you are working on. It says you have "none".
As for the shower, there are many that have rigged up poles, and shower curtains, on closet pole holders, and made a removable shower in the middle of the floor, with a large plastic storage container for the water, I am sure you are aware of that. I did that, scooted it up to the door, and dumped the water outside. I know, a no no.
But the reason for my posting is to say, that if you have a flush toilet, then you are going to have to fool with sewer hoses, , instead of an old garden hose for the gray water. That is why I took my flush toilet out, and use a porta potti. To each his own !! Penny
Really I was joking about the shower. We very seldom boondock, so there are usually showers available at the camp grounds.

I think somewhere in past posts, it says that we are redoing a 13 foot Lil Bigfoot. It's coming along. The wall covering is done, windows back in, lino on the floor and the upper cabinets are refaced and hanging on the wall. A couple more days and I'll have all the lower units and closet covered with Formica and they will be ready to re-install. There is still plenty to do. Everything has to be reconnected. The new counter top is yet to be designed and the appliances reinstalled. My wife will do the upholstery and curtains.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:27 AM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul
If i had to do it over again, i'd get "two" U-Hauls, 1 to build the wifes way she wants it and 1 my way ( mine is strickly for fishing), hers is for usless stuff like sleeping and eating...
heheheh .
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #40

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I just put all my mods to the test.

In the back of my mind when doing most of them, it was a "what if I have to live in this thing?" scene.

Well, I just did for 3 weeks and I really didn't see anything I could change to make a major improvement. I was comfortable, and the layout worked for me with the front dinette mod.

Since I was in a full ammenities park, city water would have been nice, but filling the tank was not that big a deal.

The bed, however, will need some work. It is cozy and comfortable for a couple nites, but it is a bit hard on my old bones for long periods of time. I sleep on an air mattress at home, I am wondering if I could find a place that will custom shape one for the trailer?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote