If you had it to do over again - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #41

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I just put all my mods to the test.

In the back of my mind when doing most of them, it was a "what if I have to live in this thing?" scene.

Well, I just did for 3 weeks and I really didn't see anything I could change to make a major improvement. I was comfortable, and the layout worked for me with the front dinette mod.

Since I was in a full ammenities park, city water would have been nice, but filling the tank was not that big a deal.

The bed, however, will need some work. It is cozy and comfortable for a couple nites, but it is a bit hard on my old bones for long periods of time. I sleep on an air mattress at home, I am wondering if I could find a place that will custom shape one for the trailer?

Gina,

Years ago - 30 or so - there was a company in California that made a camper/backpacker mattress that was a sewn outer shell with individial compartments running lengthwise. In the compartments you inserted individual bladders that were inflated to your needs. As I remember they sold replacement bladders that were just a roll of plastic tubing of some kind. I don't remember how the ends were sealed or the inflation valves were installed.

We didn't buy them because we were just poor students at the time.

However, if they are still available, it would seem one could be customized for the Scamp. If you ever find a source, or a satisfactory solution, let me know, because we just returned from a 3-weeker in the back roads and back country of So. AZ and noticed the same problem as you. For us it would need to be converted from bed to table each day.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #42

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I was thinking of actually taking my one at home out there, and simply inflating it to see how it filled the curves. There is a natural barrier at the kitchen and closet side to keep it from filling up over there, but I don't know how the curves will effect it.

It's wierd, of all the expensive and high tech bed types there are, I discovered that an air mattress fits my needs best. After a major thoracic surgery, where I could have NO pressure on my right side, I used a single air mattress to sleep on during my recovery. It worked so well, I went to one permanently. It is easier on my back and legs. Go figure!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:34 AM   #43

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
... I used a single air mattress to sleep on during my recovery. It worked so well, I went to one permanently. It is easier on my back and legs. Go figure!
Gina,

I too have look at using a twin size select comfort I have to make a 'better' bed, when I get my egg -- hopefully soon. I would be interested in your experiment; I figured the foam and bladders would adjust to the shape given. In my case I would have to probably pad the curved side with foam to fill in.

Bonnie
Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #44

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Probably everybody but ME knew this, but I had heard that a queen size mattress would fit in the back of a larger Burro. Let me emphasize FOAM ONLY!! A pillowtop looked like it would fit. It doesn't
I am currently "rounding the corners"with the help of an exacto knife on the fabric and wire cutters on the springs and lots of vocabulary I haven't used for a while. Boy,are those things BUILT!! Christi
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #45

Trailer: 1972 Burro
I just ordered a 2in foam topper form overstock i was planing to just trim it to fit. i orderd a Ca king Ith e left overs I was going to make dog beds out of. I am hopeing this make the bed more confortable
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 1987 Casita 16 ft / Dodge Dakota Sport V6
Hi all,
got here a little late, but need to add my 2 cents. We bought a 3" queen sized memory foam topper with cover from Sam's for $129. I trimmed the corners to fit the 13' burro bed USING THE WIFES ELECTRIC KNIFE , folded the cover under and viola a comfortable bed. We leave the bed made up all the time otherwise it would be a hassle to find a place for the rather bulky topper. We have given it a 2 week test in November and it proved to be very comfortable *(not sure I would have lasted 2 weeks on the cushions alone) an added note we just purchased an 87 scamp 16' with a bathroom on ebay and the topper fits the bed just fine on it as well. we will be selling the burro soon I will post the details and pics then
Happy new year Gerald Rush
gerald rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #47

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Gerald: Lucky you, two trailers. When you make the decision to sell the Burro can I be first in line to make an offer? I am eager! Happy New Year.

Don
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #48

Trailer: 1987 Casita 16 ft / Dodge Dakota Sport V6
Quote:
Gerald: Lucky you, two trailers. When you make the decision to sell the Burro can I be first in line to make an offer? I am eager! Happy New Year.

Don
Don
sure, I can let you know , I'll be getting pics and descriptions ready after the holidays.
if you want to send me your email address I can give you an advance notice.
regards Gerald Rush
gerald rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #49

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Gerald: I've sent you a PM.

Don
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
Gina,

Years ago - 30 or so - there was a company in California that made a camper/backpacker mattress that was a sewn outer shell with individial compartments running lengthwise. In the compartments you inserted individual bladders that were inflated to your needs. As I remember they sold replacement bladders that were just a roll of plastic tubing of some kind. I don't remember how the ends were sealed or the inflation valves were installed.

We didn't buy them because we were just poor students at the time.

However, if they are still available, it would seem one could be customized for the Scamp. If you ever find a source, or a satisfactory solution, let me know, because we just returned from a 3-weeker in the back roads and back country of So. AZ and noticed the same problem as you. For us it would need to be converted from bed to table each day.

Loren
Hi everyone--I've been off line for a while so I am just catching up on the 'mattress' conversation. When we owned our Scamp several years ago, I just hated the cushions to sleep on. I seemed like every night they would scoot apart and I would end up with my butt stuck between the cracks. We finally hit upon the idea of a custom made mattress. In Spokane, WA is an outfit called Northwest Mattress. We took a drawing and measurements to them and they made us an innerspring pillow top mattress that basically looked like a capital 'D' It fit perfectly and was not that expensive if I remember correctly. We slept as comfortably as we did at home. We are going to try the 3" foam that we already have, but if it isn't comfortable, we are making another trip to Spokane. We've spent all this time and money fixing up our little dream--I want to be comfortable. I'm sure that there are other mattress shops that would do the same thing in most larger cities. Roger's other half (Bonnie)
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Hi everyone--I've been off line for a while so I am just catching up on the 'mattress' conversation. When we owned our Scamp several years ago, I just hated the cushions to sleep on. I seemed like every night they would scoot apart and I would end up with my butt stuck between the cracks. We finally hit upon the idea of a custom made mattress. In Spokane, WA is an outfit called Northwest Mattress. We took a drawing and measurements to them and they made us an innerspring pillow top mattress that basically looked like a capital 'D' It fit perfectly and was not that expensive if I remember correctly. We slept as comfortably as we did at home. We are going to try the 3" foam that we already have, but if it isn't comfortable, we are making another trip to Spokane. We've spent all this time and money fixing up our little dream--I want to be comfortable. I'm sure that there are other mattress shops that would do the same thing in most larger cities. Roger's other half (Bonnie)
Bonnie- - -I just left your shop---- Where did that 3" foam come from, Roger couldn't remember. That's just what I need to put on top of our mattress-am using just an egg crate topper now. (that's quite comfy, but always looking for more comfort-my bones are getting old) Thanx Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #52

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
Bonnie- - -I just left your shop---- Where did that 3" foam come from, Roger couldn't remember. That's just what I need to put on top of our mattress-am using just an egg crate topper now. (that's quite comfy, but always looking for more comfort-my bones are getting old) Thanx Larry

Hi Larry! Sorry--haven't checked in for a couple of days. We bought it at Costco. It's memory foam with a zippered cloth cover. Bonnie
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #53

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
We just finished a total gut and renovate / remodel of our 1985 Scamp 13. Now that I am done, I would have whacked out the step up in the back behind the axle for at least twenty inches, and then the floor would have been level front to back.

We redesigned the rear seating with a gaucho wrap around type of set up and that step up coupled with the roof vent handle has dimpled the top of my noggin.

Yeah, it would have needed a little welding, that I am good at, and some new fiberglass coated OSB for the floor, but I restore and build wood and fiberglass drift boats for a winter hobby, so that would have been pretty easy really. It may get put on the next year winter project list to do.

I can tell you, for the last two weeks with temps down below zero, the original elephant hide now covered with indoor outdoor carpet, my little 1500W electric heater makes it 75 degrees in there and the 6 inches of snow on the top took a week to melt. The snow melted off the house faster. I had kept the trailer heated to fifty at night and seventy during the day to really cure all the varnish and glues we used on the remod. For the first couple of days, the turpines in the varnish were noticable, now not at all. The fir plywood is starting to get that pretty yellow tinge from the varnish and no stain.

I am happy I did not put another 3/4 inch of ensolite on the interior, as I had originally thought of doing, it is not necessary.

Gary
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #54

Registry
Gary, can we see pictures of your mod?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #55

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Sure these are pretty close to being done, just need the new curtains and the Cat heater.

Then in the spring--a new paint job--wife wants it camo like an army truck--green, brown, black, gray...should look pretty cool.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_044.jpg   Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_046.jpg  

Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_047.jpg   Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_049.jpg  

Scamp_13_Remod_12_2006_045.jpg  
Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #56

Registry
Very nice!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #57

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Thanks for the pictures Gary. That is great.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #58

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Gina wrote:
The bed, however, will need some work. It is cozy and comfortable for a couple nites, but it is a bit hard on my old bones for long periods of time. I sleep on an air mattress at home, I am wondering if I could find a place that will custom shape one for the trailer?
It didn't take much longer than one night for me to want a softer mattress. Funny how those dinette cushions can be so thick, but so uncomfortable. Now I pile it on like the princess, until I can no longer feel the pea. My old one- and two-inch Thermarest mattresses didn't feel soft enough, either, but on top of the cushions, they're just about perfect. My wife added a cheap egg-crate foam layer. It's comfy, but bulky and dirt-catching. Air mattresses are more compact and conformable, if more trouble to inflate. I use a 3/4 length Big Agnes Air Core pad fit into the back of the bed with the corners tucked up, and a full-length Thermarest for the longer halfof the bed completes the ensemble du boudoir. I can't wait to try my new down-filled air mattress, though. Guess I'm kind of an ulptralight bed connessieur.. oh well, for other guys it's fly rods or bowling balls.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #59

Trailer: 1975 Boler 13 ft / Ford Explorer
Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone! If you had your remodel to do over again or you could add one more thing to your little fiberglass RV, what would it be? (besides a bathroom) I'm talking about a 13 foot trailer. As we are remodeling, we would like to do any additions or modifications NOW instead of wishing we had done them while things were in pieces. Thanks, Roger and Bonnie
Hello Roger,

We have added a water heater and radiant heating to our 13' Boler and cant wait for a cold day to try it out. Also a very good veriable speed fan with thermostat has been installed to keep the trailer cool in the summer. We will in future be adding more insulation to the walls and having an auto upolstery company putting in a fabric like surface like in the newer fiberglass trailers.

Go to www.photoshow.net/libbycal under renovation to see the radiant heating my husband designed.
Cheryl Libby is offline   Reply With Quote